Windows 10 is

Only to have M$ block it with the next enforced update, been there, done that, no longer interested.
Windows 8.1 doesn´t have forced updates. UTW can disable the entire Windows Update module, anyway.
Understood but it's still a moot point, I no longer care.
And you have abandoned gaming, too?
I still have my gaming machine running Win 7, I'll wait till 2020 to see where to go from there. If that means abandoning Windows only games then so be it.
I´d just keep it. They´re ending support but it is very unlikely that this creates a security risk.
Win7 is as highly compromised as WinXP, would you recommend WinXP for security?

I need an OS that will not be changed indiscriminately through forced updates. The customizations that I make to serve my needs could be useless as soon as another freaking "update" arrives. Then I would have to wait for the developers to adapt the tools.

It's because it's been proven that you're petulant child (the consumer) who can't protect their endpoints and so needs someone with some centralized control to do it for you.

Windows 10 is much more secure than Windows 7, and the laundry list for protecting Windows 7 is a checklist over 350 points long. I should know, I wrote it. If you want it I can post it here. Or some of it.

Fact is Windows 10 closes a number of attack vectors, such as "passing the hash" which you probably know little about, attacks which Windows 7 are buttnaked to.

Windows 8.1 doesn´t have forced updates. UTW can disable the entire Windows Update module, anyway.
I still have my gaming machine running Win 7, I'll wait till 2020 to see where to go from there. If that means abandoning Windows only games then so be it.
I´d just keep it. They´re ending support but it is very unlikely that this creates a security risk.
Looks like you are obsessed with "security". XP will become even saver over time because it will be less attractive for attackers.

I think the most elegant way is "startisback" that does not only replace the MS sandwich board with a proper start menu but also offers to prevent Cortana from being loaded at all.
the "free version" you linked for me a while back didn't work so I would have to buy it. Unfortunately I can find nothing that backs up your claim Cortana is prevented from loading.
I got the free version and it worked fine. My only complaint is ram usage and yes cortana is a bitch to shut off. I have been happy with win 10. I have ran it for a little over a year and had very little problem with it.

I need an OS that will not be changed indiscriminately through forced updates. The customizations that I make to serve my needs could be useless as soon as another freaking "update" arrives. Then I would have to wait for the developers to adapt the tools.

It's because it's been proven that you're petulant child (the consumer) who can't protect their endpoints and so needs someone with some centralized control to do it for you.

Windows 10 is much more secure than Windows 7, and the laundry list for protecting Windows 7 is a checklist over 350 points long. I should know, I wrote it. If you want it I can post it here. Or some of it.

Fact is Windows 10 closes a number of attack vectors, such as "passing the hash" which you probably know little about, attacks which Windows 7 are buttnaked to.

Looks like you are obsessed with "security". XP will become even saver over time because it will be less attractive for attackers.
Nah, because Metasploit just automates the entire process, so if someone identifies an XP box they just point and click and launch exploits to see what sticks. It's very little effort to them, and the library already exists because the work was done back when XP was widely used.

So now script-kiddies can just rip it to pieces.

The work has moved on to dismantling Win10, for instance, and so Microsoft is drifting into a dynamic OS that is constantly pushed/revised, and updated from a center, you buy Windows and become part of an evolving OS, rather than the past where you bought a static OS (WinXP, Win Vista, Win 7, etc) and were stuck with it until you bought another one.

I heard today, Win10 is immune to the ransomware thing going around.
It is not immune it can also be attacked, harder to take over than previous versions though.
Directed to who you quoted, there's a specific update that blocks the ransomware that he is probably referring to which used an exploit in SMBv1 I think it was?

But cybereason's ransomfree helps ensure against Crypto-viruses.

And the best security is just frequent backups and restore from backup if you get hit.

Nah, because Metasploit just automates the entire process, so if someone identifies an XP box they just point and click and launch exploits to see what sticks. It's very little effort to them, and the library already exists because the work was done back when XP was widely used.

So now script-kiddies can just rip it to pieces.

The work has moved on to dismantling Win10, for instance, and so Microsoft is drifting into a dynamic OS that is constantly pushed/revised, and updated from a center, you buy Windows and become part of an evolving OS, rather than the past where you bought a static OS (WinXP, Win Vista, Win 7, etc) and were stuck with it until you bought another one.
Windows as a service is Microsoft´s way to stay in the center. Honestly, this is not a serious OS.

I heard today, Win10 is immune to the ransomware thing going around.
It is not immune it can also be attacked, harder to take over than previous versions though.
Directed to who you quoted, there's a specific update that blocks the ransomware that he is probably referring to which used an exploit in SMBv1 I think it was?

But cybereason's ransomfree helps ensure against Crypto-viruses.

And the best security is just frequent backups and restore from backup if you get hit.
That is what was causing most the ransom ware. The sad thing is the NSA createrd the issue and then the scammers exploited. I have not fooled with windows 10 yet as far as trying to minipulate it. Alot of the problems I have ran across in the past were scripts that just created an instance of an IE5 web browser running in the back ground. Easily delivered to you via a photo thru email.

Oh for Pete's sake...and Windows 98 got rid of 95 holes, as has every new flavor. But as always was, and always will be -there will be new ones to replace the ones closed.
End of story.
Every new Win OS is more secure than it's predecessor for a time being. Then new hacks are developed for it - and it all repeats again.
I have been in computers since most likely before you were born.

I think the most elegant way is "startisback" that does not only replace the MS sandwich board with a proper start menu but also offers to prevent Cortana from being loaded at all.
the "free version" you linked for me a while back didn't work so I would have to buy it. Unfortunately I can find nothing that backs up your claim Cortana is prevented from loading.
I got the free version and it worked fine. My only complaint is ram usage and yes cortana is a bitch to shut off. I have been happy with win 10. I have ran it for a little over a year and had very little problem with it.
Good for you, glad your happy with it........ :dunno:

Oh for Pete's sake...and Windows 98 got rid of 95 holes, as has every new flavor. But as always was, and always will be -there will be new ones to replace the ones closed.
End of story.
Every new Win OS is more secure than it's predecessor for a time being. Then new hacks are developed for it - and it all repeats again.
That's the point, I was referring to people saying just to keep Win7.

Win7 is already highly compromised.

End of story.
That's the point, I was referring to people saying just to keep Win7.

Win7 is already highly compromised.
That’s what happens when 3rd world morons write the code.

Sure it is if I use it to go surfing the internet but I don't do that with my Win 7 machine, pretty much I just log onto Steam and Origin. Granted there's still a risk there but there's always a risk no matter what and no I don't do back ups, everything that's on my computers is either cloud based or I already have on thumb drive and discs. There's nothing important I keep on any of my computers.

End of story.
I have not been called to fix any win10 machines yet. Major retailers are just now putting it in. Have you had any experience with fixing win10 yet for clients. I have not really pushed the machine that I have it on at all. I play civ with it every now and then which crashes constant and I notice I have a great deal more trouble streeming from amazon prime with it than win 7 and win 8. I have no trouble streeming net flix and hulu on it. I am so busy fixing others shit I have not gotten around to fixing my own.

End of story.
I have not been called to fix any win10 machines yet. Major retailers are just now putting it in. Have you had any experience with fixing win10 yet for clients. I have not really pushed the machine that I have it on at all. I play civ with it every now and then which crashes constant and I notice I have a great deal more trouble streeming from amazon prime with it than win 7 and win 8. I have no trouble streeming net flix and hulu on it. I am so busy fixing others shit I have not gotten around to fixing my own.
I work on enterprise level business environments. Win10 is stable. Almost all endpoint calls are still related to Win7.

I use Win10 for work related VMs physical hosts and it runs them beautifully.

End of story.

Windows 10 is not for business use. Period.
At least not yet. If ever.
It has tons of driver issues and connectivity problems with hardware.
Business software developers cannot deal with an OS that updates itself with little/no warning. Large, enterprise level software has as much code as the OS itself and needs a consistent platform to operate in.

End of story.
I work on enterprise level business environments. Win10 is stable. Almost all endpoint calls are still related to Win7.

See as a tech, most of my knowledge is gained from fixing the shit. If it does not brake, I never get a call and there for never figure out how to fix it. I work mainly for large retailers. They are always so far behind due to the number of workstations they have to replace. I am running around installing win10 now and have gotten very little feedback on them. The only issues that I deal with on a common basis are for machines that run paint mixing applications. The issues I have delt with so far on that end are not windows fault but are due to faults in the parent comapanies software for mixing the paint.

End of story.

See as a tech, most of my knowledge is gained from fixing the shit. If it does not brake, I never get a call and there for never figure out how to fix it. I work mainly for large retailers. They are always so far behind due to the number of workstations they have to replace. I am running around installing win10 now and have gotten very little feedback on them. The only issues that I deal with on a common basis are for machines that run paint mixing applications. The issues I have delt with so far on that end are not windows fault but are due to faults in the parent comapanies software for mixing the paint.

Wow...unheard of...a Windows Cert. Tech saying the problem is the other guy.
Funny how I heard that before...like...18,000 times.

End of story.

Windows 10 is not for business use. Period.
At least not yet. If ever.
It has tons of driver issues and connectivity problems with hardware.
Business software developers cannot deal with an OS that updates itself with little/no warning. Large, enterprise level software has as much code as the OS itself and needs a consistent platform to operate in.
The retailers I work for are getting an enterprise addition writtren specifically for them. They do not allow microsoft direct access for updating and all updates and patches are run from central. It is a big pain in my ass. I find myself doing nothing but baby sitting. If the internet is slow that day it can be a real pain. As an onsite tech. central usually just takes over the computer and does the upgrade themself. I am not quite sure why the even send me out. It is alot like watching grass grow. I am much more enthused with installation than fixing these days. Watching grass grow sucks.

Forum List

Back