Windows 10 is causing me much stress and anxiety

Oh and PLEASE don't try to get a Linux n00b to install Linux Mint 20, that is a major cluster fuck for advanced users.........
NOOOO> I'd steer them towards Linux Mint Debian 4. Much more straight forward
You miss the point. N00bs who are almost afraid to turn a computer on let alone get freaked out about updates are not even going to try any Linux disto unless it's already on a computer they buy.

I fully updated the end of March
I passed on updates from ( April - June )
Now I cannot use my comp until I update

I read those 3 months have some big flaws like blue screen of death and etc on up to 10 percent of comp

This is my last computer I will ever buy with Microsoft
I am even thinking about switching to Google Chrome Comp if it allows Microsoft word

I am by nature a stressed guy !!

Should I plunge in on Sunday and take the risk with updates or just disconnect the modem
??
Thx

So here is the problem with skipping updates. Nearly every update has some security fix, and not having that means that your system is more vulnerable.

I've given up on Windows as a productivity platform.

I use Macintosh computers. Sure it takes a bit to learn it. Yes, you can end up having some software that you can't use on it.

But the bottom line is, I have never had a major problem with my Mac.

I leave my Macintosh computer on 24/7 for years at a time. The longest one, was 10 full years, non-stop minus rare power outage.

The last time I updates my Macintosh, was so easy, it was like bliss. I plugged in the new Mac, next to my old Mac. The new Mac, found the old Mac on the network, and asked if I wanted to transfer everything over.

I clicked do it, and it just sucked everything from the old system to the new system, and it was like magic. I was up and running on the new system in minutes.

Never had a crash. Never had a blue screen.

Now you still need to be wise. I have a 1 TB USB drive connected to my mac, and I still backup everything. But thus far, since 1999 till today, I have never once needed that backup. Never lost my files. Never lost my tax documents, or my reports, or any videos I was editing.

Never. I'm sure it will happen. No computer is perfect, and no matter what you do, something will break at some point in your life.

But for me.. I'll always stick with an Apple Mac computer, over Windows. I'll be using a Mac until either Apple computer goes bankrupt, or I die of old age.

Windows is for things that don't matter. Things that if the computer blows up, or refuses to boot, or crashes in the middle of working.... I just format the hard drive, and reinstall windows.

Things that don't matter. That's all I ever use on Windows.

MX19 Linux is a good, fullly equipped simple option for a newb installer too. Great stuff.
Oh and PLEASE don't try to get a Linux n00b to install Linux Mint 20, that is a major cluster fuck for advanced users.........
You miss the point. N00bs who are almost afraid to turn a computer on let alone get freaked out about updates are not even going to try any Linux disto unless it's already on a computer they buy.
Theres 1000 videos on YT how to dual boot XYZXC Linux with windoze 10. If they're too damn stupid to watch a short vid and take a few notes ? Fuck'em. They deserve Windows. Thats why 90% plus people in the US run the crap. Or their company is run by morons and FORCES them to run it. I Wiped Win 98 when their "cure" arrived with the new, Super, Greatest 98 Second edition. That was the end of me and Billy.

MX19 Linux is a good, fullly equipped simple option for a newb installer too. Great stuff.
Theres 1000 videos on YT how to dual boot XYZXC Linux with windoze 10. If they're too damn stupid to watch a short vid and take a few notes ? Fuck'em. They deserve Windows. Thats why 90% plus people in the US run the crap. Or their company is run by morons and FORCES them to run it. I Wiped Win 98 when their "cure" arrived with the new, Super, Greatest 98 Second edition. That was the end of me and Billy.
Welp, most computer users are too damn stupid about computers in general and unfortunately that's just the fact of it. Plus people who aren't ready for a change won't change unless they absolutely have to, most are willing to live with what they have because it's "familiar"......... We start talking ISOs, BIOs, Linux, Bash, Sudo, etc and their eyes glaze over, I learned that a long time ago. I'm more than willing to help some, direct them to the videos and how tos only if they want me to otherwise I try to help them with what they have. It's their preference, not yours or mine that matter.

Why does Microsoft have to have new updates every 10 days
I think every 12 months is good
Yeah, let's not exaggerate........ Feature updates happen twice a year, other updates including security updates happen once a month. On rare occasions there are important updates to fix security holes that happen as soon as the fix can be made and distributed.
More like the NSA collects info as often as they see fit
Yup, they have half the population reading everything the other half of the population does online....... :rolleyes:
Actually they store everything for possible future use
Yeah........ Right.......
Where you been the NSA records every phone call, then when someone becomes a suspect in 10 years they have an entire call history.

This is old news
Look, the NSA software looks for "key words and phrases" otherwise they don't care and no one ever sees it. Do they record EVERYTHING? Other than in the mind of conspiracy theorists NO ONE has the capability to do that, too many gaps in the system.
Yawn

Yeah, let's not exaggerate........ Feature updates happen twice a year, other updates including security updates happen once a month. On rare occasions there are important updates to fix security holes that happen as soon as the fix can be made and distributed.
Yup, they have half the population reading everything the other half of the population does online....... :rolleyes:
Where you been the NSA records every phone call, then when someone becomes a suspect in 10 years they have an entire call history.

This is old news
Look, the NSA software looks for "key words and phrases" otherwise they don't care and no one ever sees it. Do they record EVERYTHING? Other than in the mind of conspiracy theorists NO ONE has the capability to do that, too many gaps in the system.
Yawn
Yeah I know, ypou've watched THOUSANDS of hours of You Tube videos....... :rofl:

This is old news
Yawn
Yeah I know, ypou've watched THOUSANDS of hours of You Tube videos....... :rofl:
My file is probably bigger than that

This is old news
Yawn
Why am I not surprised....... If you only knew just how dysfunctional the government truly is to include much of our "intelligence" community you'd be laughing along with me....... But we're getting off track so back to the thread topic.

This is old news
Yawn
Why am I not surprised....... If you only knew just how dysfunctional the government truly is to include much of our "intelligence" community you'd be laughing along with me....... But we're getting off track so back to the thread topic.
You want to believe that you determine the topic

Lol

This is old news
Yawn
You want to believe that you determine the topic

Lol
No ya maroon, the OP determines the topic, we went off topic and our exchanges could be deleted if the mods saw fit. Maybe if you took some time to read the rules..........

I fully updated the end of March
I passed on updates from ( April - June )
Now I cannot use my comp until I update

I read those 3 months have some big flaws like blue screen of death and etc on up to 10 percent of comp

This is my last computer I will ever buy with Microsoft
I am even thinking about switching to Google Chrome Comp if it allows Microsoft word

I am by nature a stressed guy !!

Should I plunge in on Sunday and take the risk with updates or just disconnect the modem
??
Thx
It's not as bad as many make it out to be though it is bad for a few.
Questions;
How old is your computer?
What operating system is currently on it? Windows 7? Vista? XP?
Do you know how to back up your files and browser settings? (It's not hard)
It’s windows 10 and it’s brand new
I bought the HP pavilion only in 2017
When people get the blue screen of death it can be because they didn't wait for the full update to install, or they had errors and didn't fix them before updating, or it's dusty dirty memory Ram or not fully inserted properly Ram, sometimes it's the motherboard or connection to the motherboard, and in the case of HP computers(the gaming ones), some cases are designed poorly for air flow and overheat easy causing the blue screen issue.
Any issue with the updates would have been fixed by now, so later updates would address issues with prior updates.
When in doubt, contact them with your questions and concerns or a tech forum dedicated to your operating system.

Wind 10’ is a disaster !!!
Then either learn to install and use Linux, buy a Google machine, fork out lots of money for an over-hyped, over-priced Apple Mac or learn to live with Windows........ Pretty much those are your choices..........

Forum List

Back