Windows 10 - How you truly disconnect the internet on your laptop.

I was searching "running services" to see if there was anything sketchy and discovered "WLAN AutoConfig" described as:

The WLANSVC service provides the logic required to configure, discover, connect to, and disconnect from a wireless local area network (WLAN) as defined by IEEE 802.11 standards. It also contains the logic to turn your computer into a software access point so that other devices or computers can connect to your computer wirelessly using a WLAN adapter that can support this. Stopping or disabling the WLANSVC service will make all WLAN adapters on your computer inaccessible from the Windows networking UI. It is strongly recommended that you have the WLANSVC service running if your computer has a WLAN adapter.

So, this WLAN AutoConfig is showing as connected and running although I set my computer on Airplane Mode and then disabled the Network Adapter drivers. I was being fooled all along because my computer was still connected to the internet in the background. Now I created a shortcut on my desktop that takes me right to "view local services" so I can manually connect and disconnect the internet. You should check it out.

For example, if I disconnect the WLAN AutoConfig at this "Services" window then I am unable to leave Airplane Mode because it is so shut down its stuck in place.

Microsoft should make a full disconnect easy to find so that all users can kill the signal in a second.

Remember, even if you disconnect the drivers and turn off wifi and put your laptop in Airplane Mode, its still connected, and thats a back door for hackers.
Methinks someone is paranoid........ Make sure your home WiFi is set to WPA2 and create a strong password. If you're worried about public hotspots then install a quality VPN........ If that doesn't ease your paranoia then switch to Linux or Apple.......
What about more advanced hackers that go beyond the norm?

Are you carrying state secrets around on that thing? If not your chances of being hacked are pretty small other than someone turning your computer into a bot. Store/save no passwords on the machine and make sure all your personal info is stored on something removable. Heck you're more at risk if your using Facebook, Twit-ter, etc.

I wouldn't want to insult myself through protecting the things that put me where I am today.
Okay. Guess that made sense to you...... :dunno:
Do what you want but you're seriously overdoing it unless you keep everything of importance on your computer, that's something I would never recommend anyone should do. That's asking for trouble regardless of what steps you take. Unless you're a person of some wealth or importance the likelihood that your computer would be targeted by advanced, dedicated hackers is almost non existent. What's more likely is some amateur hackers could try just because they can, more of a what can we find here scenario, pro hackers typically aren't interested in solo "small game".

I may or may not keep something important on my computer, that doesn't matter. European countries are hostile against privacy invasion and you know what, their borders are ten times stronger than America's. I'm starting to question what about this country is worth staying for.

I don't need an excuse to enjoy my rights. I don't have to prove or earn my rights either.
Okie dokie...... :rolleyes-41:
Make sure your tin foil supply isn't running low.

Well, this thread isn't about being a paranoid conspiracy theorist. It's about actually disconnecting the internet when you want it disconnected instead of thinking you disconnected the internet while its still running in the background and who knows what people are browsing your hard disk. This all points to the dishonesty of the computer software manufacturers who are selling a product barely a fraction of the quality of what we were using ten years ago.
If that was your intent then why did you mention your views on where the country is headed? That's what I was addressing....... :eusa_whistle:
But this is the computer subform, we'll keep politics out.
As for your worries over someone hacking your computer, they're extremely overblown, only a tinfoil hat would think there are those out there consistently perusing their hard drive. And if your that paranoid don't use the internet at all or switch operating systems or install Wireshark to monitor your network traffic.

I didn't say anyone was always hacking my computer. If someine rigs your computer so that it can be accessed all the time then you bet that's what's going to happen. Like anything else, you build a feature into it so that you can use it. It wasn't an accident.

I was searching "running services" to see if there was anything sketchy and discovered "WLAN AutoConfig" described as:

The WLANSVC service provides the logic required to configure, discover, connect to, and disconnect from a wireless local area network (WLAN) as defined by IEEE 802.11 standards. It also contains the logic to turn your computer into a software access point so that other devices or computers can connect to your computer wirelessly using a WLAN adapter that can support this. Stopping or disabling the WLANSVC service will make all WLAN adapters on your computer inaccessible from the Windows networking UI. It is strongly recommended that you have the WLANSVC service running if your computer has a WLAN adapter.

So, this WLAN AutoConfig is showing as connected and running although I set my computer on Airplane Mode and then disabled the Network Adapter drivers. I was being fooled all along because my computer was still connected to the internet in the background. Now I created a shortcut on my desktop that takes me right to "view local services" so I can manually connect and disconnect the internet. You should check it out.

For example, if I disconnect the WLAN AutoConfig at this "Services" window then I am unable to leave Airplane Mode because it is so shut down its stuck in place.

Microsoft should make a full disconnect easy to find so that all users can kill the signal in a second.

Remember, even if you disconnect the drivers and turn off wifi and put your laptop in Airplane Mode, its still connected, and thats a back door for hackers.
Methinks someone is paranoid........ Make sure your home WiFi is set to WPA2 and create a strong password. If you're worried about public hotspots then install a quality VPN........ If that doesn't ease your paranoia then switch to Linux or Apple.......
What about more advanced hackers that go beyond the norm?

Are you carrying state secrets around on that thing? If not your chances of being hacked are pretty small other than someone turning your computer into a bot. Store/save no passwords on the machine and make sure all your personal info is stored on something removable. Heck you're more at risk if your using Facebook, Twit-ter, etc.

I wouldn't want to insult myself through protecting the things that put me where I am today.
Okay. Guess that made sense to you...... :dunno:
Do what you want but you're seriously overdoing it unless you keep everything of importance on your computer, that's something I would never recommend anyone should do. That's asking for trouble regardless of what steps you take. Unless you're a person of some wealth or importance the likelihood that your computer would be targeted by advanced, dedicated hackers is almost non existent. What's more likely is some amateur hackers could try just because they can, more of a what can we find here scenario, pro hackers typically aren't interested in solo "small game".

I may or may not keep something important on my computer, that doesn't matter. European countries are hostile against privacy invasion and you know what, their borders are ten times stronger than America's. I'm starting to question what about this country is worth staying for.

I don't need an excuse to enjoy my rights. I don't have to prove or earn my rights either.
Okie dokie...... :rolleyes-41:
Make sure your tin foil supply isn't running low.

Well, this thread isn't about being a paranoid conspiracy theorist. It's about actually disconnecting the internet when you want it disconnected instead of thinking you disconnected the internet while its still running in the background and who knows what people are browsing your hard disk. This all points to the dishonesty of the computer software manufacturers who are selling a product barely a fraction of the quality of what we were using ten years ago.
If that was your intent then why did you mention your views on where the country is headed? That's what I was addressing....... :eusa_whistle:
But this is the computer subform, we'll keep politics out.
As for your worries over someone hacking your computer, they're extremely overblown, only a tinfoil hat would think there are those out there consistently perusing their hard drive. And if your that paranoid don't use the internet at all or switch operating systems or install Wireshark to monitor your network traffic.

I didn't say anyone was always hacking my computer. If someine rigs your computer so that it can be accessed all the time then you bet that's what's going to happen. Like anything else, you build a feature into it so that you can use it. It wasn't an accident.
Dude, there are protections, sure it can happen but the chances are extremely low.

Never install the LAN drivers and turn off Wi-Fi in BIOS, problem solved.

I stripped a Win10 before. Ripped Cortana and Edge and everything out with Linux. It barely functions.

It did what I needed it to, but probably will not do much more. It's pretty gimpy.

Three Words: Get a damn Mac :)
Uuummmmm, that would be FOUR words....... A is considered a one letter word, I always knew Mac users weren't that smart.......
Now Hackentosh users on the other hand and just masochists. I would know, I'm tryin' to build one now...........
:)

Uuummmmm, that would be FOUR words....... A is considered a one letter word, I always knew Mac users weren't that smart.......
Now Hackentosh users on the other hand and just masochists. I would know, I'm tryin' to build one now...........

You can count? That's nice. Yes, Get A Mac was what I meant to say, but get DAMN tired of people whining about there Windows issues.

I used Dell PC's since the late 90s. Had to buy three desk and laptops in 7 years and got multiple blue screens of death and viruses. Software updates? PAY for them. Perhaps they are better now, but it's still junk I view as "planned obsolescence".

Also got REAL tired of waiting for half an hour or more on multiple occasions to get someone I could someone in India or Sri Lanka named "Bob" that I could barely understand.

Have called Apple Support twice now in twelve years. Get a knowledgable person within 5 minutes that speaks ENGLISH and all support for my iPhone and iMac are now free.

You can't build your own Mac, but in the unlikely event you succeed and do it correctly, you won't need an anti-virus program.

Once you go Mac, you will NEVER go back.

You can count? That's nice. Yes, Get A Mac was what I meant to say, but get DAMN tired of people whining about there Windows issues.

I used Dell PC's since the late 90s. Had to buy three desk and laptops in 7 years and got multiple blue screens of death and viruses. Software updates? PAY for them. Perhaps they are better now, but it's still junk I view as "planned obsolescence".

Also got REAL tired of waiting for half an hour or more on multiple occasions to get someone I could someone in India or Sri Lanka named "Bob" that I could barely understand.

Have called Apple Support twice now in twelve years. Get a knowledgable person within 5 minutes that speaks ENGLISH and all support for my iPhone and iMac are now free.

You can't build your own Mac, but in the unlikely event you succeed and do it correctly, you won't need an anti-virus program.

If you say so.........

I love demagogues and acolytes, y'all are so funny, clueless but funny........ You sound like the Linux acolytes....... :rofl:

Okay Mr know-it-all, I've been building my own computers for years, look up Hackentosh........ Yes you can build your own Mac. And I also run Linux on my primary desktop, Windows is my gamer and I carry an iPhone........

If you say so.........

I love demagogues and acolytes, y'all are so funny, clueless but funny........ You sound like the Linux acolytes....... :rofl:

Okay Mr know-it-all, I've been building my own computers for years, look up Hackentosh........ Yes you can build your own Mac. And I also run Linux on my primary desktop, Windows is my gamer and I carry an iPhone........

You seem to be the know-it-all in this conversation.
Good luck getting your no cost auto updates and support with your Hacktivist Mac. :auiqs.jpg:

If you say so.........

Good luck getting your no cost auto updates and support with your Hacktivist Mac. :auiqs.jpg:
It's easy getting no cost updates, you truly are clueless, aren't ya........ When it comes to computers I'm not a know it all but I am well versed which you obviously aren't. Tell ya what, you decide you actually want to learn something about computers come back, there are a few of us who can teach you. Otherwise ya might now want to show up with both feet stuffed in your mouth while chewing vigorously. Just a friendly suggestion.......

If you say so.........

It's easy getting no cost updates, you truly are clueless, aren't ya........ When it comes to computers I'm not a know it all but I am well versed which you obviously aren't. Tell ya what, you decide you actually want to learn something about computers come back, there are a few of us who can teach you. Otherwise ya might now want to show up with both feet stuffed in your mouth while chewing vigorously. Just a friendly suggestion.......
BTW, if you had actually read through the thread you would have seen that I recommended either Linux or Mac if the OP was that concerned about being hacked. Not because neither can be hacked it's just based on market share, hackers go after Windows because they have 88+% of the market, Apple Macs comprise only 9.6% of the market share, Linux about 2%. They're simply rarely targeted, nothing more, nothing less.

If you say so.........

BTW, if you had actually read through the thread you would have seen that I recommended either Linux or Mac if the OP was that concerned about being hacked. Not because neither can be hacked it's just based on market share, hackers go after Windows because they have 88+% of the market, Apple Macs comprise only 9.6% of the market share, Linux about 2%. They're simply rarely targeted, nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry but no - Mac constantly delivers updates & patches .. for free. They are targeted just often but usually with a link one must click a link to install Malware and the like. This is not required for Windows hacks.

Nearly ALL of these sort of links end up in my junk bin, OR they are picked up immediately with my Malwarebytes program which I payed 20 bucks for forever.

Educate yourself:

As long as you run Microsoft Windows, you will be connected, if there is any way to connect. If windows can detect a connection, it will connect, to verify authenticity.

If you say so.........

Sorry but no - Mac constantly delivers updates & patches .. for free. They are targeted just often but usually with a link one must click a link to install Malware and the like. This is not required for Windows hacks.

Nearly ALL of these sort of links end up in my junk bin, OR they are picked up immediately with my Malwarebytes program which I payed 20 bucks for forever.

Educate yourself:

Well it looks like hackers have decided to attack Apple Macs, bout time. Oh and one of the reasons is Windows security (and browser security) has become more effective so many are trying their luck elsewhere. My free version of Malwarebytes picks up what it was designed to pick up, the rest is done via my free AV software and browser sandboxes. Don't fool yourself, if it can be built it can be hacked.
Obviously you didn't read anything about Hackentoshing or you would see it can be updated for free, the only drawback is it's not automatic, a minor inconvenience for those of us who know what we're doing.

Educate yourself..........

Last edited:

If you say so.........

Educate yourself:

Well it looks like hackers have decided to attack Apple Macs, bout time. Oh and one of the reasons is Windows security (and browser security) has become more effective so many are trying their luck elsewhere. My free version of Malwarebytes picks up what it was designed to pick up, the rest is done via my free AV software and browser sandboxes. Don't fool yourself, if it can be built it can be hacked.
Obviously you didn't read anything about Hackentoshing or you would see it can be updated for free, the only drawback is it's not automatic, a minor inconvenience for those of us who know what we're doing.

The difference between my relative expertise and yours? You CLAIM to know what you're doing.

But I wouldn't let you touch my computer with a ten foot pole ;-)

If you say so.........

Educate yourself:

Also unlike you I'm not claiming one system is better than the other, all three have the weak and strong points. I use all three for different things, I'm not a clueless single system zealot, I know better. I'm simply addressing your misplaced Apple Mac is God opinion.........

If you say so.........

Educate yourself:

The difference between my relative expertise and yours? You CLAIM to know what you're doing.

Too bad considering my extensive knowledge in that area........ Oh well....... :dunno:

If you say so.........

Educate yourself:

Too bad considering my extensive knowledge in that area........ Oh well....... :dunno:

Maybe you do know what you're doing. IDK
But cool - If I need work done on my Mac, I'll call support or take it into my local Apple authorized sales/ repair center.
Did that once in 12 years to upgrade my iMac in order to transfer all my old stuff to new computer.
You get what you pay for. No thanks on one of your Hackintoshes.

If you say so.........

Educate yourself:

But cool - If I need work done on my Mac, I'll call support or take it into my local Apple authorized sales/ repair center.
Did that once in 12 years to upgrade my iMac in order to transfer all my old stuff to new computer.
I'm happy for you, like most people you judge the whole based on your own personal experiences........... Personally (knowing what I know), I'll build my own PCs and Hackentoshes that will statistically last just as long as your Apple bought Mac and I won't have to overpay for an over-hyped computer. Use whatever repair/support services you choose, never told or even advised you not to, no skin off of my nose. But if you're going to strongly advocate one over the other at least you should have ALL the facts and not just rely on your personal experience, that's called bias due to limited sampling. There's also Bias Confirmation where people go looking specifically for only that which confirms their bias, it's one of the most common human behaviors.
Thankfully I'm acutely aware of it so I actively guard against it.

If you say so.........

Educate yourself:

I'm happy for you, like most people you judge the whole based on your own personal experiences........... Personally (knowing what I know), I'll build my own PCs and Hackentoshes that will statistically last just as long as your Apple bought Mac and I won't have to overpay for an over-hyped computer. Use whatever repair/support services you choose, never told or even advised you not to, no skin off of my nose. But if you're going to strongly advocate one over the other at least you should have ALL the facts and not just rely on your personal experience, that's called bias due to limited sampling. There's also Bias Confirmation where people go looking specifically for only that which confirms their bias, it's one of the most common human behaviors.
Thankfully I'm acutely aware of it so I actively guard against it.

I don't quite get it. How is my experience based on "limited sampling" having spent 7 or 8 years on PC's and another 12+ on Macs?

Look, there is probably no question that you know more about computers than do I. I'm always interested in computer info, but have ZERO interest in constructing mine from the ground up in order to save a few bucks.

That would appear to be your thing. God Bless, and Peace Out!

Forum List

Back