William Shatner turns 90 today...hip hip hooray!

60 years ago, he was what my age is now!

Bill is the last of the big stars.

william-shatner-captain-Kirk.jpg

Everyone else from Trek has pretty much passed away now except for Sulu, Checkov and Uhura.

Here's my theory about the success of Star Trek and Shatner's overacting.

The overacting of Shatner couldn't hang with the adults that decided what to watch in primetime. Thus, Star Trek only lasted 3 seasons. Then Start Trek went into syndication. What is overacting to an adult is perfect for kids. Star Trek did great in the "after school" time zone because kids generally made the decision about what to watch. But as the kids grew older they didn't think of Star Trek as a kids program, so a group of adults emerged that were Star Trek fans. Hence, the Star Trek movies and the reincarnations of Star Trek with TNG, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, etc.

Here's my theory about the success of Star Trek and Shatner's overacting.

The overacting of Shatner couldn't hang with the adults that decided what to watch in primetime. Thus, Star Trek only lasted 3 seasons. Then Start Trek went into syndication. What is overacting to an adult is perfect for kids. Star Trek did great in the "after school" time zone because kids generally made the decision about what to watch. But as the kids grew older they didn't think of Star Trek as a kids program, so a group of adults emerged that were Star Trek fans. Hence, the Star Trek movies and the reincarnations of Star Trek with TNG, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, etc.
we watched it every night

..I like him --but he's not a great actor...TJ Hooker is horrible
I liked TJ Hooker. But I agree, he is not a great actor.

His best role was that of Denny Craine on Boston Legal but that was only because he was allowed to ham it up with a comical character.
..I never watched that
..he was in Judgement at Nuremberg where he did fairly well

He was also on some Twilight Zone episodes. Two that I remember.

He was a handsome young man and a member of the Hollywood in crowd so he got the roles but his acting abilities were never very good.

He hit the lottery with Star Trek or else he would never been much more than a low level B actor.

..he was on battle of the celebrities or something using karate chops on wood..I can't find the video...can anyone find it? it's hilarious

Forum List

Back