Will The GOP Plan To Raise The Retirement Age For Social Security Be Very Popular?

We are the fattest country in the world. We have the worst diet in the world. We get the least exercise than most in the world. We are far from a healthy country.

Perhaps you need to understand the term "entitlements." The government taking less of YOUR money is not an entitlement. You leftists are raised to believe that all money made belongs to government, and what they allow you to keep of your money is a gift from them to you, but there is no truth to it.
We leftists don`t believe that we`re entitled to free stuff. Why do you?

About as popular as stepping in dog shit. Why should people that worked and paid into it be expected to work until nearly the day they die before retiring? Wtf is wrong with you?

About as popular as stepping in dog shit. Why should people that worked and paid into it be expected to work until nearly the day they die before retiring? Wtf is wrong with you?
raising the age has happened numerous times before.

sadly until the dems are willing to actually address the issue and flaws with SS, it’s the only way to keep the ponzi scheme going. The govt has to pay out less

We leftists don`t believe that we`re entitled to free stuff. Why do you?

What does that have to do with what I wrote? It's the Democrats that go haywire anytime a Republican even mentions cutting down on social programs, not Republicans.

Government taking less money from the rich is not giving them anything yet alone free stuff, it's taking less of their property.

Except those with disabilities who have come into the country and drawn off of a system that they paid nothing into. I wish it was limited to only those who have paid into it.

The funding for disability isn't deducted from SS contributions, it comes from FICA taxes which there are no limits on to my knowledge.

Wrong. Tax rates between 1945-1980 worked just fine. At which time the middleclass was at its peak, and national debt was negligible.

The middleclass has been cut to a fraction of what it was, destroying the traditional family, and the national debt is out if control.

All due to tax cuts for the wealthiest people, and out of control military spending.

What I know as a fact, is those tax cuts and that out of control military spending, are 100% of the problem.

Just as soon as out of control military spending is halted, and tax rates are reinstated to what they were in 1979, both the debt problem, and spending problems go away.

Why do you think they lowered taxes in the first place? Because between taxes and unions, companies could no longer stay in business. When Reagan seen the millions of jobs being shipped overseas, he had to do something about it so he lowered their taxes.

Under Clinton he had all Democrats to work with his first two years. Same with DumBama and same with Dementia. None of them even suggested to raise taxes that high again because they knew what the results would have been.

You complain about military spending, the spending that secures our country, but no problem sending 100 billion to Ukraine, no problem spending the hundreds of billions on a farce we have no control over like climate change. No problem spending millions on the arts and Kennedy center, tearing down perfectly good bridges and rebuilding them because the commies said the old ones are racist, millions of dollars for an LGBQRST museum and a black wax museum. We need a strong military, we don't need all this leftist pork your people keep putting us in the hole for.

Not really
A few thousand a year, invested for 40 years adds up to quite a nest egg

Sure, if you are going to use that nest egg in conjunction with Social Security, but not for total support. Remember no matter when you retire, you still need healthcare coverage because you can't get on Medicare until the age of 65. No possible way to make it unless you were allowed to use all your social security contributions in investments, and that includes your employers contributions. Then yes, you will be able to make it if you start young enough.

Sure, if you are going to use that nest egg in conjunction with Social Security, but not for total support. Remember no matter when you retire, you still need healthcare coverage because you can't get on Medicare until the age of 65. No possible way to make it unless you were allowed to use all your social security contributions in investments, and that includes your employers contributions. Then yes, you will be able to make it if you start young enough.

MILLIONS of retirees retired before they were eligible for Social Security or Medicare

When SS first started life expectancy for men was 58 years old and 62 years old for women, and of course the retirement age was 65.

Here we are today and life expectancy for men is 77 years old, and 81 years old for women, yet retirement age is still 65!
Think about that for a second, there's no way we can continue at this rate without raising retirement age.

No one wants to talk about it, but it's got to happen.

I don't recall the last time they raised SS contributions. It never kept up with the increasing average lifespan. That's why it's more important than ever to greatly raise those contributions to help the program along. If we want this program (and most Americans do) then we simply have to pay for it.

You think you're being funny by saying that we should raise the age high enough that most people would be dead by the time they could collect, but that's how it was originally set up. It was not supposed to give a person 20 years of idle living in retirement, it was supposed to sustain the (then) truly elderly that were no longer able to work. Today, most people can expect to live well past the age of 70, and in fact work past that age. In order to return SS to its original purpose, we would have to raise the age to probably at least 75. No one should expect the taxpayers to give them 20 years of idleness.

Still doesn't answer the question of people that can't work their jobs at that age. Do you think a roofer laborer can carry 30 pounds of shingles on his shoulders up three stories high at that age safely? How about a bricklayers laborer that have to carry cement and blocks to the job site? I know, I grew up doing that for my bricklayer father. What about a garbage man that has to get out of the truck to lift heavy furniture into the hopper?

I live on the second story. There are times one of my knees will give out and I have to make sure I have a tight grip on that handrail and I'm only 62. There is only so much abuse a body can take doing a lifetime of work like that. I have two cousins that ran their own remodeling business. One barely made it to retirement at the age of 65. The other is 65 but struggles to work.

Still doesn't answer the question of people that can't work their jobs at that age. Do you think a roofer laborer can carry 30 pounds of shingles on his shoulders up three stories high at that age safely? How about a bricklayers laborer that have to carry cement and blocks to the job site? I know, I grew up doing that for my bricklayer father. What about a garbage man that has to get out of the truck to lift heavy furniture into the hopper?

I live on the second story. There are times one of my knees will give out and I have to make sure I have a tight grip on that handrail and I'm only 62. There is only so much abuse a body can take doing a lifetime of work like that. I have two cousins that ran their own remodeling business. One barely made it to retirement at the age of 65. The other is 65 but struggles to work.
Of course there needs to be allowances for the type of work being done, the difficulty/ease of finding employment that doesn't wear the body out so much, etc.

We don't need peoe over the age of 55 in the workforce. They should all be retired out. That does nothing but strengthen the nation.

I don't recall the last time they raised SS contributions. It never kept up with the increasing average lifespan. That's why it's more important than ever to greatly raise those contributions to help the program along. If we want this program (and most Americans do) then we simply have to pay for it.

I agree we'll be paying more, but I still will just about guarantee you, the retirement age will have to be raised as well.

Of course there needs to be allowances for the type of work being done, the difficulty/ease of finding employment that doesn't wear the body out so much, etc.

I think a lot of people would object to some being allowed to collect at an earlier age than others. The real solution is to just increase employee/employer contributions to support the program the way it is. I know it's not something a lot of people would like to see done, but it's the only way to solve it without creating other problems in it's place.

I definitely hope the GOP will start being more serious about drastically cutting if not, totally ending Social Security instead of just talking about it....If you look at the polls, the majority of the US would totally support cutting and or ending Social Security, since the only people who benefit from it are old poor people who were too dumb to invest in the free market for their retirement savings -- and like disabled people and other lazy losers....
Then you thieving bastards need to pay me back every penny taken from me!

I agree we'll be paying more, but I still will just about guarantee you, the retirement age will have to be raised as well.

I don't think that would solve anything since people who are too worn out to work from a lifetime of physical labor will just file for disability. When you do physical labor jobs, you end up with a lot more things wrong with you than suit and tie people.

Despite the OP's stupid sarcasm, with life expectancies ever increasing, sooner or later the age for being eligible for SS will have to be raised.
Get used to the idea, it's going to have to happen.
Nobody is saying that, but once again...
people are living longer, but not staying younger longer.
It is not a simple cut and dry thing

Forum List

Back