Will eliminating "don't ask-don't tell" improve the military?

Will eliminating DADT be a net positive or negative for the US military?

• It will be a non-event, just like in the public

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • It will be a net negative, since good men will leave the military.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • It will be a net positive

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • It won't matter, since most gays can't handle the military life-style anyway.

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
Those who want Gays to serve openly in the military either have forgotten or never knew that it isn't just working with someone, and trusting your life to them. It is also about living in close quarters with someone.

We do not bunk a female in a room with a male. And don't tell me it's not about sex. that is all it is about. What makes a gay person different from a straight person? Sex.

So how do you bunk them? 2 gays in a room together?

Agay in a room with a straight macho guy?

Or do we bunk a gay guy with a straight female?

How about a gay female with a straight guy?

Face it people, this simply does not work.

Those who want Gays to serve openly in the military either have forgotten or never knew that it isn't just working with someone, and trusting your life to them. It is also about living in close quarters with someone.

We do not bunk a female in a room with a male. And don't tell me it's not about sex. that is all it is about. What makes a gay person different from a straight person? Sex.

Agay in a room with a straight macho guy?

Face it people, this simply does not work.

Gays are there right now. Always have been.

White soldiers did not want to sleep in the same room as black soldiers either. They found it to be degrading. The military needs to grow up

Why is it that people always try to compare sexual activities to skin color?

There is no comparison.

Because it confers the mantle of morality due to the civil rights struggle. Of course they have nothing to do with each other.
Personally the administration needs to let the military run things they want. That's why you hire them in the first place.

I researched the military polls to see if the typical volunteer prefers opening the military to gays, or if they prefer to keep DADT. it seems the liberal agenda and liberal spinsters are hurting the military, since about 10% of the active military said that they would NOT re-enlist. The leftist polls disagree, <surprise surprise>
Military Times Poll: Troops Oppose Gay Agenda for the Military - Elaine Donnelly - The Tank on National Review Online

So who is right, will the net cost to the military be the loss of good men who refuse to kow-tow to the "special few", who know how to play the discrimination card, or will allowing openly gay into the military (picture gay marriage and gay housing, etc) be a non-event?

After a period of adjustment, it will make a difference and it will be a positive one. More people will enlist and accept the fact that there is now equality for all. Everyone will be judged on their conduct and not because they are different in any way. There will be solutions for any problems, but the positive step is that humanity has involved in favor of freedom for all. Freedom to be who you are and within the confines of accepted policies, rules and order.

Why is it that people always try to compare sexual activities to skin color?

There is no comparison.

Yes there is because the rationales being used are identical. In the 1950s, many in the military were outraged that they would have to dress in front of negroes, eat with negroes and yes...can you believe it?...they were expected to shower with negroes. Many soldiers were outraged at how demeaning that would be. The same arguments about combat effectiveness, morale and retention were used. Guess what? The Army got over it....

Soldiers need to grow up and stop being biased little pussies. Their world will not end if they have to serve with gays. As a matter of fact, many countries already have gays openly serving along side with straights. Are you saying the US Soldier is less capable than the European Soldier?

Last edited:
AquaThena,
Will they sit around and blow dope and sing Kum-By-Ya all day too?? Then again, "blow dope" was probably a poor choice of wording. Your perspective is not reality based, its fantasyland. Thanks for playing.

Once again:

A gay in a room with a straight macho guy?

This is only one of the problems the Military chiefs asked for a year to study before congress acted on this. But noooo, some dumb asses can't wait a year. I guess Obama feels he needs the votes in November.

The fact that this is part of Obama's agenda immediately says it ISN'T good for the military as he has no interest in "improving" the military.

The military polls say that about 10% will leave if DADT ends. I'd say that is a reasonable fact. What would be gained by ending it, nothing but political correctness. There is no compelling reason to end DADT, its worked fine for many years.

Yes , and 25% said they would leave if they had to serve with blacks. Surprisingly, they used the same excuse you did....they didn't want to have to shower with them

Everybody seems to want to compare the queers with the blacks. I don't see the comparison. It's like comparing apples and oranges. It's not the same thing.

Anyone who would leave or refuse to join the military because homosexuals, who are already serving, would not have to hide the fact that they're homosexual, is by definition not a "good man."

Net positive.

Exactly...this is as good for the military as Truman's desegregation order in the late 1940s.

Ok let's say someone from the army leaves because DADT is repealed. Assuming they can't retire, what exactly are they going to do with the rest of their lives? I can't think of a single civilian job that requires gays to never reveal that they're gay to coworkers or bosses.

Talked to many iron-workers or pipe-fitters or electricians lately?

I actually know a few gay ones. And they're vets too.

It will be different. They would be making a new protected class. Actually I'm not too worried, whatever the dems do can be undone in 2012.

It's not a protected class and you know it. Straights don't have a ban on discussing their sex lives unlike gays. All lifting DADT will do is make it so gays get to play by the same rules.
Right there is a reason to keep DADT. Can you just imagine the gays bragging about their sexual exploits, disgusting. <gag> They call it sexual deviate behavior for a reason.

How can you say its not a protected class? The "special few" are already taking up more time and energy than they are worth. There is nothing wrong with DADT. It is currently not about sexuality, the dems are trying to make a special protected class, like they always do. It will probably involve quotas for promotions etc.

The military polls say that about 10% will leave if DADT ends. I'd say that is a reasonable fact. What would be gained by ending it, nothing but political correctness. There is no compelling reason to end DADT, its worked fine for many years.

Can you just imagine the gays bragging about their sexual exploits,

Is that what you do?

It will be different. They would be making a new protected class. Actually I'm not too worried, whatever the dems do can be undone in 2012.

It's not a protected class and you know it. Straights don't have a ban on discussing their sex lives unlike gays. All lifting DADT will do is make it so gays get to play by the same rules.
Right there is a reason to keep DADT. Can you just imagine the gays bragging about their sexual exploits, disgusting. <gag> They call it sexual deviate behavior for a reason.

How can you say its not a protected class? The "special few" are already taking up more time and energy than they are worth. There is nothing wrong with DADT. It is currently not about sexuality, the dems are trying to make a special protected class, like they always do. It will probably involve quotas for promotions etc.

In my 21 years, I heard some very disgusting bragging about sexual exploits...from straight officers and enlisted. That was protected.

Its not a matter of "revealing" their sexuality. Its a matter of their sexuality is all too obvious. Its a matter of many in the military prefer not to know.

Well if it's obvious then I guess it's too bad for those who don't want to know it.

This is the freaking army. I guarantee working with someone they don't like isn't on the top of their list of complaints. Besides working with people you don't like is a possibility in any job so tough shit.

Why should only they get to vote on it? Our taxes pay for the military and when we to change say what's acceptable police behavior we don't let only the cops vote on it.

p.s. the question before was "what are they going to do with the rest of their lives <if they don't want to associate with gays>. Its not about "revealing sexuality" <that happens to the "special few" in group showers>, if you want to work with straights, there are ways to do it. They'll be fine after leaving the <new pink> military.

You think the military will be pink once DADT is lifted? Really?

The military is VOLUNTEERS. If you joined were men acted like men and women acted like women under DADT, it will be a lot different than having cross-dressers and transvestites sharing your duty. When you march, you are supposed to be on the same beat (not to whatever tune you want). When you put on the uniform, it it a symbol of pride, not a costume to troll.
There is a problem NOW, with homosexuals (or bisexuals) raping new recruits. It is not publized due to PC and the total humiliation of the victims (typically done to a subordinate, or people in the same barracks). There have been problems in the past, as well with homosexual behavior. Saying homosexual behavior is ACCEPTABLE will only increase these types of problems, and hurt morale (the necessary ingredient to any battle).

There's problems (at the Service Academies even) with heterosexuals raping people...maybe we should not allow heteros (men mostly) in the military if that's your criteria.

Forum List

Back