Wikileak'd video shows eager-to-kill troops firing on Reuters reporters and children

Oh man, now you got me. I'll just crawl into a foetal position and suck my thumb 'till I fall asleep. Let me venture a guess, you're also against abortion, aren't you?

Oh man, now you got me. I'll just crawl into a foetal position and suck my thumb 'till I fall asleep. Let me venture a guess, you're also against abortion, aren't you?
Actuallyno and too bad your mommy didn't abort your sorry ass.

I can smell the gunpowder coming off her keyboard...

Dunno what's more sick, those pricks in the copters or the likes of Terry....
Thanks for the badge of honor thumper.

Crimson White's "armchair warrior" defines her perfectly. She'll talk a big game, but that's about it.

I was referring to you and the other idiots trying to Monday morning quarterback actions that you know jack shit about.

Thanks for the badge of honor thumper.

Crimson White's "armchair warrior" defines her perfectly. She'll talk a big game, but that's about it.

I was referring to you and the other idiots trying to Monday morning quarterback actions that you know jack shit about.

Sweetie, I know. But the fact is, that applies much better to Terry than to any of 'us.' None of 'us' really want to go into a war zone and shoot up bunch of kids. However Terry here doesn't see anything wrong with it.

Buncha fucking Armchair warriors. :cool:

And what the fuck are you?

Someone that has actual been there, done that. These men are not psychopaths. They are soldiers. It is a fucking war and people get killed. Their adrenaline is pumped up so high that these comments are mild by comparison. Plus, how do we know the video isn't altered in some way? You don't. You have no fucking clue, beyond what the douchenozzle in the video decided to show you. Drink your koolaid and shut the fuck up.

its not a war..its an occupation the only so called war is suppose to be this war on terror.. it seens to me having your children murdered needlessly and callously and unjustly is as terror as it gets...so you have been where done what specifically ?

Last edited:

Sweetie, I know. But the fact is, that applies much better to Terry than to any of 'us.' None of 'us' really want to go into a war zone and shoot up bunch of kids. However Terry here doesn't see anything wrong with it.

Nobody wants to go into a warzone and shoot up a bunch of kids. But sometimes that's what happens. And trust me, when it happens, it haunts you, just like these guys will be haunted when the adrenaline rush ends.

And what the fuck are you?

Someone that has actual been there, done that. These men are not psychopaths. They are soldiers. It is a fucking war and people get killed. Their adrenaline is pumped up so high that these comments are mild by comparison. Plus, how do we know the video isn't altered in some way? You don't. You have no fucking clue, beyond what the douchenozzle in the video decided to show you. Drink your koolaid and shut the fuck up.

its not a war..its an occupation the only so called war is suppose to be this war on terror.. it seens to me having your children murdered needlessly and callously and unjustly is as terror as it gets...so you have been where done what specifically ?

Yeah, I don't answer to you. Fuck off.

War is Horrible, seeing Children dying is even worse, but who in their outright mind brings Children in the middle of a fucking warzone?

In that Video I was sure I saw at least 1 AK-47. (Saw the shape of the Mag)

Hell, if i was Pilot and I were killing Insurgents you better believe i'd be pumped and full of Adrenaline, it's inevitable.

Disclaimer: No Children or Woman were harmed... only Taliban pricks.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9oqcU0J8M4]YouTube - the nation in afghanistan killing insurgents[/ame]

Last edited:

Nobody wants to go into a warzone and shoot up a bunch of kids. But sometimes that's what happens. And trust me, when it happens, it haunts you, just like these guys will be haunted when the adrenaline rush ends.

I HOPE it will HAUNT them till their dying day. That's what JUSTICE is, y'know? One can't kill an innocent and then go on their merry way.

War is Horrible, seeing Children dying is even worse, but who in their outright mind brings Children in the middle of a fucking warzone?

In that Video I was sure I saw at least 1 AK-47. (Saw the shape of the Mag)

Hell, if i was Pilot and I were killing Insurgents you better believe i'd be pumped and full of Adrenaline, it's inevitable.

Disclaimer: No Children or Woman were harmed... only Taliban pricks.
YouTube - the nation in afghanistan killing insurgents

It seems like it wasn't a planned operation on the side of those that ended up being shot or those that later on went to pick up the wounded. It actually didn't look like an 'operation' at all.

its just I have known people that have really been there and done that and they didn't speak this way..I was just wondering what your definition of been there done that was.. thats all

its just I have known people that have really been there and done that and they didn't speak this way..I was just wondering what your definition of been there done that was.. thats all

He's probably just talking out of his ass. I have also known people that really have 'been there' and 'done that' and they don't have a problem sharing where it is they've been and what it is they've done ... without too much detail though.

He's probably just talking out of his ass. I have also known people that really have 'been there' and 'done that' and they don't have a problem sharing where it is they've been and what it is they've done ... without too much detail though.

US Army
MP
Two tours in Afghanistan
'02 and '04

There are pictures in the photography forum. ;)

eots can fuck off, but I don't mind answering for you and that is about all the detail you get.

Why the suggestion 'maybe he has a weapon...'- offering an excuse to shoot- and not the question 'does he have a weapon?' ?

And why can't they put some better cameras on those things?

Here are the facts, obtained and released by Wikileaks, Reuters, and Washington Post journalist David Finkel who covered the surge and reported on this attack from the scene later that day:

The 17-minute video shows the most relevant footage, Wikileaks also posted the whole 38-minute video that includes all imaginable context, from the moment the helicopter is anywhere near the area until several minutes after the bodies are picked up. The men who they shot never engaged anyone at any time. Collateral Murder

Full, unedited video of the entire incident from beginning to end: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is9sxRfU-ik[/ame]

From the moment the helicopter first spots them to the moment they're killed, what the men killed are doing can best be described as "milling about." A few blocks away a few hours before this, there was some fighting and Americans engaged and killed a group of insurgents. The Reuters photojournalist went to take pictures of the aftermath of that scene once the fighting had died down and the area was calm for a few hours. The last series of photos by the Reuters photojournalist suggest the men around him came out to see what he was taking pictures of and perhaps see what had happened once the fighting had died down, they appear to have arrived piecemeal and not in a group.

In the aftermath of the shooting, one AK-47 and no other weapons were found. Being armed in Iraq is a pretty common safety precaution for obvious reasons (also, what do Iraqis who fight Al Qaeda and the insurgency or protect their families from them carry?). Having a gun in a nation where gun ownership is legal and quite widespread is not justification for opening fire on you and everyone in your vicinity. There were no RPGs. What was called an RPG turned out to be a telephoto lens.

The van that stopped was found to be a Good Samaritan on his way to taking his kids to a tutor. He stopped when he drove by and saw a wounded man still writhing on the ground. He attempted to put him in his van, presumably to get him medical attention. The two men have no affiliation, the driver of the van was a family man with no affiliation with insurgents, the man he was helping was a driver for Reuters. The dead man's children were both shot but survived, the children and the murdered man's widow were recently found and can be seen here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BflAj2txMVQ]YouTube - New background material from Iraq[/ame]

This is opinion:

This is important and revealing not because it's aberrational or an unusual tragedy, but because it is exactly the common and routine behavior usually shielded from view and media coverage. Nothing about this video is exceptional or out of the ordinary except that two of the innocent people murdered happened to work for Reuters instead of being random, unknown Iraqi civilians, so the video came to light.

As the video demonstrates, the soldiers in the Apache did not take a single step -- including killing those unarmed men who tried to rescue the wounded -- without first receiving formal permission from their superiors. Beyond that, the Pentagon yesterday -- once the video was released -- suddenly embraced the wisdom of transparency by posting online the reports of the so-called "investigations" it undertook into this incident (as a result of pressure from Reuters). Those formal investigations not only found that every action taken by those soldiers was completely justified -- including the firing on the unarmed civilian rescuers -- but also found that there's no need for any remedial steps to be taken to prevent future re-occurence. What we see on that video is what the U.S. does on a constant and regular basis in these countries, and it's what we've been doing for years. It's obviously consistent with our policies and practices for how we fight in these countries, which is exactly what those investigative reports concluded.

The WikiLeaks video is not an indictment of the individual soldiers involved -- at least not primarily. What they did was consistent with their training and orders and the way soldiers behave in Iraq and Afghanistan. The video is instead an indictment of the U.S. government and the war policies it pursues which lead to the casual slaughter of unarmed civilians without cause.

Precisely the same dynamic applies to the Pentagon's admission yesterday that its original claims about the brutal February killing of five civilians in Eastern Afghanistan were totally false. http://www.usmessageboard.com/afgha...most-important-stories-about-afghanistan.html

What happened there -- the slaughter of unthreatening civilians, official lies told about the incident, the dissemination of those lies by an uncritical U.S. media -- is what happens constantly (the same
deceitful cover-up behavior took place with the Iraq video).

Nieman Watchdog > Commentary > U.S.-led forces in Afghanistan are committing atrocities, lying, and getting away with it

The lies about the Afghan killings were exposed in this instance not because they're rare, but because one very intrepid, relentless reporter happened to be able to travel to the remote province and speak to witnesses and investigate the event, forcing the Pentagon to acknowledge the truth.

The value of the Wikileaks/Iraq video and the Afghanistan revelation is not that they exposed unusually horrific events. The value is in realizing that these event are anything but unusual.

Last edited:
8 minutes in.

Since when do you fire on unarmed persons who are picking up wounded, clearly acting as medics or emergency personnel and not as combatants, with no visible weapons despite your attempts to find something shaped like a gun?

How would you expect a soldier to act in the commission of his duties?
With honour.

Of course, that went out around the same time they let all the gangbangers back in and American street gangs started popping up in Baghdad.

Forum List

Back