Why will Putin invade Ukraine; How shall NATO respond?

ViewFromAbove

Gold Member
May 6, 2019
It looks likely that Putin's Russia will invade a sovereign nation on its border, again. What is his REAL motive?
I'm sure he wants Ukraine's resources (future military slaves) and its geography for strategic advantage (like Crimea). He wants POWER.
OBVIOUSLY, he's afraid of NATO and wants to preserve his Czars-like authoritarianism to secure his wealth.

What shall NATO do?
I think NATO should assist Ukraine to the max and threaten Russia's military as well as economy.
Agree? Why not?

It's a scary situation! Putin is 69, and maybe wants to make one big final play to reunite the old Soviet Union? Also, maybe he's just not thinking clearly. Maybe he has health issues. Regardless, he has painted himself into one hell of a corner. I don't see how he can save face if he doesn't invade Ukraine. I applaud President Biden for standing firm.

Last edited:
It looks likely that Putin's Russia will invade a sovereign nation on its border, again. What is his REAL motive?
I'm sure he wants Ukraine's resources (future military slaves) and its geography for strategic advantage (like Crimea). He wants POWER.
OBVIOUSLY, he's afraid of NATO and wants to preserve his Czars-like authoritarianism to secure his wealth.

What shall NATO do?
I think NATO should assist Ukraine to the max and threaten Russia's military as well as economy.
Agree? Why not?
100th time Russian invasion is imminent and you believe it again :rolleyes:

140,000 Russian troops massed on Ukraine's borders
That is to prevent NATO from attacking Russia, when Russia supports the break away republics with air power and missiles when Ukraine launches assaults into Donbas.

When that happens? Russia wants to make sure NATO doesn't get uppity.

What shall NATO do?
Agree? Why not?
putin-laughing.gif

140,000 Russian troops massed on Ukraine's borders

How could one not believe an invasion is imminent with the massive forces Putin has surrounding Ukraine? Last I heard it's up near 170,000-180,000 Russian troops.

I believe Michael Kofman, research program director in the Russia studies program at Center for Naval Analyses.
120.000 Ukrainian troops are amassed at the separatist republics Donezk and Lugansk. Deemed not noteworthy by our media outlets. The Russian troops´ presence actually prevents war.

How could one not believe an invasion is imminent with the massive forces Putin has surrounding Ukraine? Last I heard it's up near 170,000-180,000 Russian troops.
The last you heard.

Who... Did you hear it from?

Gullible sot.

Speaking as a U.S. citizen, I don't support any action that would directly threaten Russia's military in THIS SITUATION. In fact, I think that even economic sanctions should be measured. Rather than try to rub his nose in it on the global stage... all of our efforts should go into building a VERY credible defensive posture in Poland and the Czech Republic as well as strengthening our assets in Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.

Ukraine is a very corrupt nation and more importantly, it sits directly on Russia's border. If Xi or Vlad decided to build a potentially aggressive force posture in Mexico, we wouldn't accept it and he shouldn't be expected to sit quietly while NATO does that to Russia. A pissing contest with a nuclear-armed leader with "short man's syndrome" is something we'd be wise to avoid if possible.

120.000 Ukrainian troops are amassed at the separatist republics Donezk and Lugansk. Deemed not noteworthy by our media outlets. The Russian troops´ presence actually prevents war.
Ukraine only has 200,000 troops; a quarter of Russia's full set of troops, and a small fraction of Russia's tanks and other military resources.
I doubt Ukraine now has 120,000 at Donbas borders, due to the need to protect other areas.
The Donbas is UKRAINIAN territory! Formally, Russia denies it has troops there, but it's obvious those RUSSIAN separatists are FULLY supported by Russia at the expense of the majority population there that are Ukrainian.
Like Crimea, the Donbas is a Russian territory grab.

Forum List

Back