Why We Have More Than 40 Million Functional Illiterates

As an English teacher I've been in both extremes (very high and low performing schools). The students who're illiterate tend to not care about their grades or academics; if the students do show up to school it's usually to: socialize, sell drugs, or for free lunch.

What strike me as being funny is that the party that promotes personal responsibility is the same party that routinely blames teachers or the education system as a whole for the results of students. 9/10 of my students I've had who're illiterate either don't care or feel entitled. The other 1/10 tend to be immigrants.

The students who're illiterate tend to not care about their grades or academics....

You've got it backwards.

How so?

It's not that they don't care because they are illiterate, they remain illiterate only if they don't care (excepting circumstances such as disability or impossible circumstance).

My post only stated a correlation, not causation so I'm not really sure what your point is? I happen to agree that they only remain illiterate if they don't care.

I still feel the main reason for illiteracy is our focus on academic courses and not vocational.

Some of those same kids who "don't give a dam " might if they were given the opportunity to learn a trade. Stress that reading, writing, and math will help them become good carpenters, mechanics, plumbers, heating & a/c tech and you will be surprised at how much their grades improve.

I read the article and it got me to thinking. Why was I reading before kindergarten and how did I learn then – and when I entered school? I think the reason was that it was during WWII when my parents placed me in a “military school”, Page Military Academy in Los Angeles. I was taught phonics. So, when I entered “traditional” school, I had a leg up.

This article seems to point out a way we can improve the reading ability of our children, something I believe is vital to our future.

Read more: Articles: Why We Have More Than 40 Million Functional Illiterates

Our schools have been sabotaged by Progressives who require helpless, functional illiterates in order to keep Democrat Party in power

Wonder if they could pass a basic cognitive test memeory care facilities give.....how many wold end up in an institution if you didnt look at their age

I still feel the main reason for illiteracy is our focus on academic courses and not vocational.

Some of those same kids who "don't give a dam " might if they were given the opportunity to learn a trade. Stress that reading, writing, and math will help them become good carpenters, mechanics, plumbers, heating & a/c tech and you will be surprised at how much their grades improve.

Based on my experience I strongly disagree. I've seen many students who don't care who end up leaving a traditional h.s. for a h.s. where they teach trade (fire fighters, EMTs, shop class, classes for electricians, plumbers, techs, mechanics, etc). Parents usually do that as a last resort (because they've run out of options).

Most of them (not all) last MAYBE 1 year there. Then they're back at a traditional h.s. because they've been kicked out...and they're only back in the traditional h.s. if they're lucky.

I actually agree that we need more career readiness classes/schools--and most of my peers agree with me. However most students who're headed in that direction have already chosen that option before they get to my classes.

I read the article and it got me to thinking. Why was I reading before kindergarten and how did I learn then – and when I entered school? I think the reason was that it was during WWII when my parents placed me in a “military school”, Page Military Academy in Los Angeles. I was taught phonics. So, when I entered “traditional” school, I had a leg up.

This article seems to point out a way we can improve the reading ability of our children, something I believe is vital to our future.

How illiteracy's being defined matters. Still, explains the popularity of the Republican Party. ;)

How illiteracy's being defined matters. Still, explains the popularity of the Republican Party. ;)

LOL.

The VAST Majority of Illiterates vote Democrat

LOL.

Link?

I got my 11 year old grandson interested in fractions just figuring out wrench sizes for working on cars and motorcycles. He hates school, but it's the law that he remain in school till age 18. If a boy knew he could apprentice out at a certain age if he could pass certain tests, this would be an inspiration to learn school subject very quickly. Not sure about the girls, but a fairly good percentage of boys don't belong in school after a certain age and will even get in trouble out of boredom.

LOL.

I keep asking you for proof of these statements.

LOL.

He has to be able to read to know you're asking you for proof of those statements.

Based on my experience I strongly disagree. I've seen many students who don't care who end up leaving a traditional h.s. for a h.s. where they teach trade (fire fighters, EMTs, shop class, classes for electricians, plumbers, techs, mechanics, etc). Parents usually do that as a last resort (because they've run out of options).

Most of them (not all) last MAYBE 1 year there. Then they're back at a traditional h.s. because they've been kicked out...and they're only back in the traditional h.s. if they're lucky.

I actually agree that we need more career readiness classes/schools--and most of my peers agree with me. However most students who're headed in that direction have already chosen that option before they get to my classes.

LOL.

He has to be able to read to know you're asking you for proof of those statements.

There are some illiterates on both sides but Frank refuses to think like that. Maybe he's stuck at home and has lost track of what goes on in the real world.

LOL.

Obama is all the proof you need

Forum List

Back