Why We Can't Do Infrastructure and Why It Is So Costly

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
The bottom line is regulations. Plus, the federal courts took a law that said nothing about citizen involvement, a private right of action, and gave citizens a private right of action to sue under that law anyway.

'Regulation has dramatically impeded our ability to build good infrastructure in a timely manner — the cost of building a highway has more than tripled in 20 years purely because of expenses due to regulations.

Yet the extraordinary expense of construction is a significant barrier to that need. The first phase of the Second Avenue Subway in Manhattan, the most expensive subway project in the world, cost $2.5 billion per mile, nearly five times the cost of a similar extension in Paris.
The other major factor is what Brooks terms the “rise of the citizen voice.” The 1970s brought a wave of federal and state legislation (the National Environmental Policy Act being the most prominent) that gave residents and activists a greater say in public decision-making. While these new laws surely brought some benefits — particularly to project neighbors — they also added time and expense. Given that the U.S. ranks 13th in transportation infrastructure quality globally, those added costs don’t seem to have yielded better roads. “I find it hard to believe we’re building better highways than countries in western Europe,” Brooks said — or, she added, that the U.S. is taking better care of the environment.

Long lead times are largely a problem of red tape. In addition to the many layers of review, infrastructure projects in the U.S. constantly face the threat of potential lawsuits — a problem shared with other countries with laws that favor litigation, like Germany, even if their costs are lower overall. Take the 1970 National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), which requires “environmental impact statements” for “major federal actions” that could “significantly affect” the environment. As the Niskanen Center’s Brink Lindsey and Samuel Hammond note in their 2020 report Faster Growth, Fairer Growth: In the early days, NEPA’s procedural requirements were modest: An EIS could be as short as 10 pages, and the legislation didn’t provide for a private right of action. Courts soon declared a private right of action, though, and under the pressure of litigation the law’s demands grew ever more onerous: Today the average EIS runs more than 600 pages, plus appendices that typically exceed 1,000 pages. The average EIS now takes 4.5 years to complete; between 2010 and 2017, four such statements were completed after delays of 17 years or more.​
… [N]o ground can be broken on a project until the EIS has made it through the legal gauntlet – and this includes both federal projects and private projects that require a federal permit. Meanwhile, the far more numerous environmental assessments (the federal government performs more than 12,000 of them a year, compared to 20-something Environmental Impact Statements) have likewise become much lengthier and more time-consuming to complete. ….​

Last edited:
China built a huge network on high speed rail that criss-crosses the country. They did this in just 20 years. The system is enormously popular and used by all. Rail tickets are cheap, allowing all access.

We used to do great things that benefited all Americans. Now we just do things that benefit Wall Street, the MIC, big pharma and big oil. The reason for this is obvious. They own and control the government and both political parties. So they get whatever they want.

Last edited:
I know of road construction workers that make over $70 per hour on overtime and they work a ton of overtime. Good for them!!!!

Here in Texas we get things done that need doing.
If a bridge is unsafe we fix it. It seems this is more of a yankee problem.
As a fellow proud Texan, I would love to agree. But poor infrastructure, due to incompetence and corruption is a government problem, not a regional one.

I drive over this bridge twice every weekday, and the very slow work that was taking place in 2021, has dropped off to no work at all in 2022.

As a fellow proud Texan, I would love to agree. But poor infrastructure, due to incompetence and corruption is a government problem, not a regional one.

I drive over this bridge twice every weekday, and the very slow work that was taking place in 2021, has dropped off to no work at all in 2022.

Bull Shit.
We dont have a problem with poor infrastructure here in Texas.
Name all of the collapsed bridges,the piss poor airports or anything else to backup your claims.
IAH just went through some major improvements and I haven't heard of a bridge collapse of any note ever.

The eruption of Tech Companies into less expensive areas has caused many towns and cities to become overwhelmed.

Bull Shit.
We dont have a problem with poor infrastructure here in Texas.
Name all of the collapsed bridges,the piss poor airports or anything else to backup your claims.
IAH just went through some major improvements and I haven't heard of a bridge collapse of any note ever.
This one was only a few days after the 9/11 attacks, so you may have forgotten it:

This one was more recent:

As I mentioned, a calamitous collapse of the Beltway 8 bridge, on which I drive myself, was narrowly and accidentally averted.

But, please. Let's not hijack this thread with a spat between a Texan who loves his state and a Texan who thinks that its government is perfect.

This one was only a few days after the 9/11 attacks, so you may have forgotten it:

As I mentioned, a calamitous collapse of the Beltway 8 bridge, on which I drive myself, was narrowly and accidentally averted.

But, please. Let's not hijack this thread with a spat between a Texan who loves his state and a Texan who thinks that its government is perfect.

Was the bridge built according to code?

I said recently.
I'm not impressed with one incident that happened 20 years ago.
And was it due to old infrastructure? I doubt it, it was more likely due to piss poor building practices.

I've just come to the conclusion that we no longer deserve nice things.....Everything is a money grab.

It's not going to get any better either.

I would agree.
America will have to crash and burn and Americans will have to finally endure real, deep and severe hardship before any type of correction can occur.
Fewer and fewer producers and more and more takers. Greed and materialism have replaced all else.

Unsustainable.
Maybe humans cannot handle freedom? Sure seems that way.

Forum List

Back