Why was society more vapid and conformist in the early 2010s?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I remember the early 2010s as a more vapid and conformist time. The so called "Syfy" channel as well as the "Discovery" and "History" channels replaced their fare with reality programming. People were only interested in getting richer. "Geek" culture was not nearly as accepted as it was now.

I remember watching a video with a speech by Neil Degrasse Tyson lamenting that America had lost it's drive to explore space.

Why was society more vapid and conformist in the early 2010s?

Why did society lose interest in sci fi and space exploration during that time? There were loads of sci fi shows in the 90s and early 2000s?

Was it the retirement of the space shuttle?

Did technological advancement make Western society so comfortable that people went "Things are so good now so why make the effort to advance to a Star Trek like future?".
There is a revival in sci fi and space exploration but there are some things I miss from the 2010s. Things weren't as crazy as they are now.

I am loving this sci fi and fantasy boom but did it make us more childish?

They were not. The shift in the Overton Window simply seemed greater to you at that point. The decadence and societal rot is profound at this point.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back