Why the Stimulus Failed

The stimulus worked and only right wing partisan hacks say it didnt

It didn't stimulate the economy.

In 2009Q2 our GDP was $13.85T and in 2011Q2 it was $14.99T. That's an 8.2% increase and a 4.9% increase when using constant 2005 dollars, or 2.45% per year.

BEA National Economic Accounts

Contrast that with the previous administration, which had only 1.76% per year (with 2005 dollars) and what do you think caused the increase in growth for Obama?

I call Shenanigans. Please explain, in your own words, how the stimulus worked and what it accomplished. Include a comparison of actual unemployment vs. the Obama Administration's claim that unemployment would peak at 8% with the Stimulus in place.

Obama never made that claim.

The stimilus failed (i.e., didn't lead to greater employment in the US) because with a significant proportion of what used to be US jobs now in Asia, the old fiscal and monetary policies no longer work. Perhaps employment is up in China and India.

Creating 3 million jobs using government money while losing more than 3 million jobs in the private sector is proof that it created jobs, but also proof that it did not stiumulate the economy.

But of course taking 500 billion dollars to create jobs will create jobs...that is not rocket science......but it did nothing for the economy...and it was marketed as an economy stimulus.

It wasnt...it was noithing more than pay back

Do you understand what happens when a global economy crashes?

they hate sceince , they hate economists, they hate higher education, they hate encyclodias, they hate dictionarys, they hate teachers, they hate American workers and on and on and on.

They deny facts to retain historically failed ideas.

why would ANYONE listen to the very ideas that crashed the world economy for the second time in one lifetime?

they hate sceince , they hate economists, they hate higher education, they hate encyclodias, they hate dictionarys, they hate teachers, they hate American workers and on and on and on.

why would ANYONE listen to the very ideas that crashed the world economy for the second time in one lifetime?

Still lying eh? Need to stop projecting TM. The fact is the economy was not stimulated. More people are unemployed now than before the stimulus.

You can cite whomever you want but as long as they ignore the facts, they are lying just as much as you are.

Still lying eh? Need to stop projecting TM. The fact is the economy was not stimulated. More people are unemployed now than before the stimulus.

You can cite whomever you want but as long as they ignore the facts, they are lying just as much as you are.

Then why are you ignoring facts?

GDP growth was better in the past two year than in the previous 8. You have no explanation for this. Or maybe you're just choosing to ignore it. I don't know. Also, we were losing 600,000-700,000 jobs a month in early 2009 and now are either flat line or slightly gaining. Again, that's an improvement that you are choosing to ignore or have no explanation for.

Which is it? Are you ignoring facts? Or can you just not explain what's happening?

I call Shenanigans. Please explain, in your own words, how the stimulus worked and what it accomplished. Include a comparison of actual unemployment vs. the Obama Administration's claim that unemployment would peak at 8% with the Stimulus in place.

His economic advisors made that claim in "The Job Impact of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan". You can read it for yourself in PDF form in the first item of the references:

American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The stimulus failed? You mean the one with 50% tax cuts in it that was asked for by the GOP?

GDP growth was better in the past two year than in the previous 8. You have no explanation for this. Or maybe you're just choosing to ignore it. I don't know. Also, we were losing 600,000-700,000 jobs a month in early 2009 and now are either flat line or slightly gaining. Again, that's an improvement that you are choosing to ignore or have no explanation for.

Which is it? Are you ignoring facts? Or can you just not explain what's happening?

Not ignoring anything.

So you admit unemployment is gone up.

Thats our economic stimulus?

Please.

His economic advisors made that claim in "The Job Impact of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan". You can read it for yourself in PDF form in the first item of the references:

American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That report has estimates based on information available in early January 2009. Before Obama and any of his team took office. The estimates were refined a few months later after Obama took office. Not to mention, I'm sure you're referring to the graph as being proof of some "claim". Why then are you ignoring the part that says unemployment could go as high as 11%? Why only use part of the report?

Do your analysis for the period ending in 2007, and then get back to us.

And then compare the recoveries of past recessions to this one. The Great Recession ended in June 2009. After 8 quarters, we haven't recovered in real dollar terms what GDP was at the beginning of the recession.

According to U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, Real GDP in Q4-2007 was $13,326B. The Q2-2011 figure is $13,260B.

So after the biggest spending binge in human history, we are still below the peak GDP prior to the recession - with over 2M jobs lost since Obama took office.

You can look up the data here:

http://www.bea.gov/iTable/index_nipa.cfm

Not ignoring anything.

Please.

I didn't mention unemployment at all, actually, but okay, if you want to talk about that ... it was predicted to go as high as 11% and it is 9.1%. That's an increase of 1.3% above what Obama inherited. Also, I don't know anyone who claims the Stimulus was the greatest jobs plan ever. 1/3 of it was tax cuts, and they are terrible for job creation. 1/3 was aid to states, which just kept states from firing people. Only 1/3 was direct spending on job creation.

So again, I will ask, why are you ignoring the numbers I posted? Or do you just not have an explanation for them?

Not ignoring anything.

Please.

I didn't mention unemployment at all, actually, but okay, if you want to talk about that ... it was predicted to go as high as 11% and it is 9.1%. That's an increase of 1.3% above what Obama inherited. Also, I don't know anyone who claims the Stimulus was the greatest jobs plan ever. 1/3 of it was tax cuts, and they are terrible for job creation. 1/3 was aid to states, which just kept states from firing people. Only 1/3 was direct spending on job creation.

So again, I will ask, why are you ignoring the numbers I posted? Or do you just not have an explanation for them?

It was predicted to go as high as 11% WITHOUT THE STIMULUS. With the Stimulus, it was supposed to peak at no more than 8%.

all the facts and experts are on sallow side you silly git.

all you have is partisan hackery on your side

Forum List

Back