Why the Coronavirus Hit Italy So Hard

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
In Italy, 23 percent of the population is over age 65, compared to the US, where that population is 16 percent. “Extended longevity has played some role in changing the population structure,” says University of Oxford demographer and epidemiologist Jennifer Beam Dowd, lead author of the new paper. “But it actually has most to do with how rapid the decline in fertility has been in a population.” That is, it’s affected more by Italians having having fewer children than it is by them living longer.

At the same time, young Italians tend to interact a lot with their elders. Dowd’s Italian coauthors note that young folks might live with their parents and grandparents in rural areas but commute to work in cities like Milan. Data on the composition of Italian households bears out this familial arrangement too.

Family structure and a large percentage of people aged 65 and older.

In Italy, 23 percent of the population is over age 65, compared to the US, where that population is 16 percent. “Extended longevity has played some role in changing the population structure,” says University of Oxford demographer and epidemiologist Jennifer Beam Dowd, lead author of the new paper. “But it actually has most to do with how rapid the decline in fertility has been in a population.” That is, it’s affected more by Italians having having fewer children than it is by them living longer.

At the same time, young Italians tend to interact a lot with their elders. Dowd’s Italian coauthors note that young folks might live with their parents and grandparents in rural areas but commute to work in cities like Milan. Data on the composition of Italian households bears out this familial arrangement too.

th

Might want to check your stats on the age of people in the United States over 65...

Population of the U.S. by sex and age 2018 | Statista

They appear to be a lot higher than you've stated.

*****SMILE*****

:)

:rolleyes:

th

Might want to check your stats on the age of people in the United States over 65...

*****SMILE*****

This is where it came from.
Fact Sheet: Aging in the United States – Population Reference Bureau

At the same time, young Italians tend to interact a lot with their elders. Dowd’s Italian coauthors note that young folks might live with their parents and grandparents in rurapid the decline in fertility has been in a populatioral areas but commute to work in cities like Milan. Data on the composition of Italian households bears out this familial arrangement too.

"rapid the decline in fertility has been in a population" is a side effect of liberalism and it is killing western civilization

And they have lots of Chinese
It only takes one. Apparently, shutting down travel to/from China after the virus is already here isn't all it's cracked up to be.
glass-half-empty-3-types-of-people-glass-half-full-2951065.png

Your cup is the one on the right
Hissy time already, son? It's a bit early in the day...
No hissy.......you are a Pessimist.........

Did the move buy time or not............Perhaps we should have banned travel to the world and bought more time...........

You will complain no matter what he says or does.........if you didn't complain I'd ask you if you had the virus.

No hissy.......you are a Pessimist..
False. I see your dictionary is broken again. I am not claiming the worst is going to happen. I am a pragmatist who claims that we should prepare for the worse scenarios, not the best case scenarios.

You shouldn't use words when you don't know what they mean. You embarrass yourself.

False. I see your dictionary is broken again. I am not claiming the worst is going to happen. I am a pragmatist who claims that we should prepare for the worse scenarios, not the best case scenarios.

You shouldn't use words when you don't know what they mean. You embarrass yourself.
J

Fits you to be an arrogant lib............and you are a pessimist...........promoting the worst case to cause Panic is NOT in the Best interest of this country...........You can give out facts with HOPE.......over Fear......

But you only care about attacking Trump........no matter the outcome......sucks to be you.

This OP makes sense. I'm retired and live in Florida. Here the senior
population is very high, but mostly live in their own communities, not with their children and grandchildren. And not in teaming cities. We mostly have our own homes or condos, our own cars, and now visits from children and even bingo and Zumba classes have ended. ☹️ Of course nobody takes cruises anymore! We are of couse very, very lucky compared to our Italian equivalents, where living with the old extended family still is important and the virus is widespread. If it gets much worse in the U.S., poorer seniors in big cities may suffer the most.

Older folks everywhere are worried of course, and nursing homes certainly are possible hot spots. There is surely some truth that old people -- not me! -- control the country, much of its money and power, and this has a subliminal influence on the response of society to this pandemic. But there is no need to get crazy and see conspiracies everywhere...

By the way, we have an Italian Club in my community that (until recently) played "Bocce" and organized events to raise funds for a local Catholic Hospital. Some of them often like to talk about their childhoods in big extended families.

Last edited:
This OP makes sense. I'm retired and live in Florida. Here the senior
population is very high, but mostly live in their own communities, not with their children and grandchildren. And not in teaming cities. We mostly have our own homes or condos, our own cars, and now visits from children and even bingo and Zumba classes have ended. ☹️ Of course nobody takes cruises anymore! We are of couse very, very lucky compared to our Italian equivalents, where living with the old extended family still is important and the virus is widespread. If it gets much worse in the U.S., poorer seniors in big cities may suffer the most.

Older folks everywhere are worried of course, and nursing homes certainly are possible hot spots. There is surely some truth that old people -- not me! -- control the country, much of its money and power, and this has a subliminal influence on the response of society to this pandemic. But there is no need to get crazy and see conspiracies everywhere...

By the way, we have an Italian Club in my community that (until recently) played "Bocce" and organized events to raise funds for a local Catholic Hospital. Some of them often like to talk about their childhoods in big extended families.
I remember walking into a Macdonalds in Miami a few years ago and it was like a scene from Cocoon. I was the only one there under 70.

:rolleyes:

th

*****SMILE*****

This is where it came from.
Fact Sheet: Aging in the United States – Population Reference Bureau

th

Just saying that the site I linked shows that the over 65 population in the United States at around 23%.

I find that statistic to be more likely than the one your site states.

*****SMILE*****

Forum List

Back