'Why Study Philosophy'

Assumptions are accepted whether Religion, the Occult or Science. The thing about Science is that assumptions can be challenged using science.

Greg

To pass it down.

Not down, forward (or maybe in a circle).
I agree. My reference to down was to the next generation.

I know. I was just playing with words.
No worries. It’s all good.

If we agree that perpetuating life is a primal urge, why do we keep killing each other?
It’s actually more than perpetuating life. It is passing down knowledge and wisdom. That’s what I meant when I said the meaning to life is to pass it down.

Killing each other is but a tiny fraction of life. Which makes it the exception and not the rule. So I won’t read anything more into it than that. With that said good does come from bad, so even killing can lead to good in a non-linear kind of way.

But to directly answer your question, it is because we are flawed. But here’s the interesting thing, men kill for their own good. They don’t kill for the sake of evil.

Not down, forward (or maybe in a circle).

If we agree that perpetuating life is a primal urge, why do we keep killing each other?
It’s actually more than perpetuating life. It is passing down knowledge and wisdom. That’s what I meant when I said the meaning to life is to pass it down.

Killing each other is but a tiny fraction of life. Which makes it the exception and not the rule. So I won’t read anything more into it than that. With that said good does come from bad, so even killing can lead to good in a non-linear kind of way.

But to directly answer your question, it is because we are flawed. But here’s the interesting thing, men kill for their own good. They don’t kill for the sake of evil.

If we kill each other, doesn't that necessarily result in less knowledge being passed up/down/sideways?

If we kill each other, doesn't that necessarily result in less knowledge being passed up/down/sideways?
Sure. If everyone was killed.

If you are waiting for man to abandon his selfish and prideful nature, you will surely be disappointed.

But consider this, man has progressed and knowledge was passed down despite man’s selfish and prideful nature.

So maybe God does know what he is doing after all.

Sure. If everyone was killed.....

Even if one man is killed.

I hope so, 'cause we sure don't.
If God willed us into existence then our existence is contingent upon God and if God is beyond material such that the closest we can come to describing his nature is spirit, then our material existence in and of itself is not the end but a means to an end.

If God willed us into existence then our existence is contingent upon God and if God is beyond material such that the closest we can come to describing his nature is spirit, then our material existence in and of itself is not the end but a means to an end.

What end?

What end?
The material end.

What end?
The material end.

Which you believe to be what?

What end?
The material end.

Death

What end?
The material end.

Death

So, you propose that the point of life is death?

What end?
The material end.

Death

So, you propose that the point of life is death?
No.

Forum List

Back