Why no thread on cooking?

Spaghetti, its an art.

Spaghetti noodles stuck on the ceiling?? I hear you.

I was actually today thinking of a new recipe, maybe someone else has already tried it. Was thinking sliced Yams with bacon strips and maple syrup on top. But... it might need some other kick to it. Suggestions?
Yeah, an 11 gal kitchen trash bag........... :D

Last edited:
Mine is pretty good. There's a local store that has the best ground beef around and I haven't used fresh garden tomato sauce or homemade pasta in awhile, but both those are on the horizon.

If anyone has a good meatball recipe I might check it out. Mine seem to turn out about 50/50, sometimes good - sometimes they taste like meatloaf.

But generally for a quick and easy sauce I use a pound & 1/2 of ground beef (browned, drained and sauteed in evo with onions, bell pepper and garlic) for every 24 oz jar of good marinara sauce. My chili is pretty good too.

Basic meatball recipes are pretty much the same as meatloaf........burger, maybe mixed with ground pork, onion, eggs, bread crumbs, salt & pepper. You could always add in some mild Italian sausage (or hot if you wanted) to give it more 'Italian' flair

I don't cook many things but spaghetti is one of them. I either make or buy 1 inch meatballs. I cut them in half and flash fry them. In a large pot I combine the fried meatballs, spaghetti sauce, tomato paste, diced tomatos, whole kernel corn, and optionally pinto beans or black beans. Lots of garlic powder, basil, and onion powder. Let it all simmer together for 30 or 40 minutes. For noodles I like angel hair pasta.

The only spaghetti sauce I make now is Bolognese, regular spaghetti sauce is just too tomato heavy for the wife and I.

Why does Quinoa have to taste like crap.......?
Yeah, and the texture is strange unless you cut it with other flours. Like for healthy pizza dough you could use 1/3 each of whole wheat, quinoa, and coconut flours, or other variations like that. Always use some kind of good olive oil ( something you never get at the fast chains - they use cheap vegetable oil generally ) and try Greek yogurt instead of water and yeast.

Yeah, and the texture is strange unless you cut it with other flours. Like for healthy pizza dough you could use 1/3 each of whole wheat, quinoa, and coconut flours, or other variations like that. Always use some kind of good olive oil ( something you never get at the fast chains - they use cheap vegetable oil generally ) and try Greek yogurt instead of water and yeast.
The wife likes it and I hate it even mixed with other grains, it tastes that bad. As for coconut I have no problem with it, the wife however is allergic to coconut.
Oh and whole wheat sucks great big don____ ____s also.
Greek yogurt? Might as well just suck on a lemon, it's that tart besides yogurt and I just don't get along.

I also use Canola oil......... No I don't want to hear all the GMO crap and debunked urban myths surrounding Canola oil. Not interested so save your time and breath. Yes I use olive oil, sesame oil and peanut oils for different recipes and I never use vegetable oil as it's mostly corn oil and there's more than enough corn product in too many foods.

I also use Canola oil......... No I don't want to hear all the GMO crap and debunked urban myths surrounding Canola oil. Not interested so save your time and breath. Yes I use olive oil, sesame oil and peanut oils for different recipes and I never use vegetable oil as it's mostly corn oil and there's more than enough corn product in too many foods.
Coconut oil is a good butter replacement in some recipes....not good for frying - it foams up for some reason.

Coconut oil is a good butter replacement in some recipes....not good for frying - it foams up for some reason.
I cook for the wife and I so there's no coconut anything in the house.

What a coinkidenk, I made spaghetti tonight... and it was seriously the best spaghetti I've ever made. If I do say so myself. :) I let the sauce simmer for a long time, to give all the flavors a chance to deepen. I added some 'meat'balls and ground 'beef' to the sauce. All vegan. No chopped up dead animals. My roommate thought it was delicious too, and she's a non-vegan.

Spaghetti, its an art.

You're CLOSE to finding the forum with all the great USMB recipes.. Try "Food and Wine"..

Just made spaghetti tonight. USed to work in an Italian restaurant kitchen.. THere are secrets to sauces most folks never get.. Like the vegetable base for sauce.. Since I don't have ALL DAY to cook down, carrots, celery, onions, etc --- I toss in a small can of V8.. Won't need to add salt after that either..

SALT?? :puke:

The V8 juice is salty enough. I don't use salt hardly at all when I cook.. Unless it's chemically required.

Totally agree. A while back I broke my salt grinder and I thought, oh shit, now I'll have to grind up rocks with a mortar and pestle. That's when it occurred to me that the only time I use it at all is on grits or eggs. There's way more than enough salt in our processed foods already.

Now my Dad would salt everything, as an OCD thing. Even in a Chinese restaurant. Maybe his body was compensating for hypotension, I dunno. We took them out for their 40th wedding anniversary and while Dad went to the rest room we plugged up the salt shaker with cellopane and just put it back on the table as bait, KNOWING he was going there. It was hilarious.

Then there's my cousin, who salts --- salad. SALAD.
shakehead.gif

Spaghetti, its an art.

You're CLOSE to finding the forum with all the great USMB recipes.. Try "Food and Wine"..

Just made spaghetti tonight. USed to work in an Italian restaurant kitchen.. THere are secrets to sauces most folks never get.. Like the vegetable base for sauce.. Since I don't have ALL DAY to cook down, carrots, celery, onions, etc --- I toss in a small can of V8.. Won't need to add salt after that either..

SALT?? :puke:

The V8 juice is salty enough. I don't use salt hardly at all when I cook.. Unless it's chemically required.

Totally agree. A while back I broke my salt grinder and I thought, oh shit, now I'll have to grind up rocks with a mortar and pestle. That's when it occurred to me that the only time I use it at all is on grits or eggs. There's way more than enough salt in our processed foods already.

Now my Dad would salt everything, as an OCD thing. Even in a Chinese restaurant. Maybe his body was compensating for hypotension, I dunno. We took them out for their 40th wedding anniversary and while Dad went to the rest room we plugged up the salt shaker with cellopane and just put it back on the table as bait, KNOWING he was going there. It was hilarious.

Then there's my cousin, who salts --- salad. SALAD.
shakehead.gif
Yeah, my mom salted everything even cantaloupe......... If it was Chinese food she'd drown it in soy sauce.
Thankfully I was able to kick that habit decades ago after being raised eating heavily over-salted foods.

...No chopped up dead animals.....

= no flavor
On the contrary, it was super flavorful. Without the after-taste of exploitation, torture and needless killing.
Do you wear your pussy hat while ‘cooking?’
No, I laugh at people who wear those hats. But since you brought it up, pussies are people who think they're macho but pick on those not their own size, defenseless babies. In other words, people like you. And these guys...

piglet-thumping.jpg

kidnapping-calves-1024px-min-1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back