Why is Student Loan Overhaul in Health Care Bill?

Not only is the fucking government forcing young people to pay more for health insurance, it also wants to collect all the interest from student loans so as to pay for health care "reform" Let's wait and see what the new interest rates will be.
Wait till they hit us with a VAT tax, that is coming soon.

Can someone tell me what Student Loans and health care have in common? And why a student loan overhaul is in a health care bill?

Student Loan Bill Poised to Pass in Health Vote - NYTimes.com

This is a damn good question. By including this in the healthcare reform legislation, it has the slimy feel of pork. Does anyone out there know WHY it was included?

I'll tell you want I find breathtakingly stupid is that you're only just now asking this. Jeeeez, what the hell is the matter with people in this country. You rabidly support a fucking bill and have absolutely no fucking idea what is in it and what it means.

God help us.

Slow down there, Cali. I still support this reform legislation. I am just trying to figure out why the student loan stuff was necessary to be a part of it. We all knew it was buried in there. The question is "why"? That's all.

This is a damn good question. By including this in the healthcare reform legislation, it has the slimy feel of pork. Does anyone out there know WHY it was included?

I'll tell you want I find breathtakingly stupid is that you're only just now asking this. Jeeeez, what the hell is the matter with people in this country. You rabidly support a fucking bill and have absolutely no fucking idea what is in it and what it means.

God help us.

Slow down there, Cali. I still support this reform legislation. I am just trying to figure out why the student loan stuff was necessary to be a part of it. We all knew it was buried in there. The question is "why"? That's all.

Dingell already let the cat out of the bag, it's about controlling the people

Not only is the fucking government forcing young people to pay more for health insurance, it also wants to collect all the interest from student loans so as to pay for health care "reform" Let's wait and see what the new interest rates will be.

Can't wait.

Won't be long, they need quick cash, and that is where they will get it.

My bad...does anyone with a brain, who is not a partisan hack and who does not hate everything the Obama administration does, know why this is in the bill?

Why is this considered a partisan answer?

Do you have a better hypothesis?

I have NO hypothesis, which is why I was hoping for some actual debate on the subect. I am NOT looking for partisan talking points, such as "power grab, control, etc etc"

I understand. However, I am sayingthat before we write off a theory as partisan, perhaps we should consider it as a valid theory?
Afterall, can we come up with any other possibility?
Truth is, only two theories make sense to me:

1) It is a power grab and a chance for the government to increase revenue at the cost of an entire private industry.

2) it was inserted into the bill (law) so it can make the overall bill (law) look deficit neutral. Again, at the cost of an entire indusrty.

I find it funny that young people support this bill because it is on their backs that it will be funded.

First young healthy people will have to pay more in premiums so as to subsidize the sick and now the interest from their student loans will be jacked up and used to fund this monstrosity.

Jesus, I never remember being so fucking gullible.

Last edited:

Can't wait.

Won't be long, they need quick cash, and that is where they will get it.

The irony?

If a value added tax is implemented by the federal government:

We will be paying a tax when we earn money and a tax when we spend it.

Yes, we do that at the state and municipal level, but we must not forget that we are a republic.

They rolled the student loan into the health takeover because:

1. It favorably skewed the h/c numbers.
2. They didn't have the votes in the senate for the student loan bill alone.
3. Reconciliation can only be used in a limited fashion and since they were using it to pass h/c they bundled the student loans in with it. ( I wonder what else was bundled in there.)

I find it funny that young peopl support this bill because it is on their backs that it will be funded.

First young healthy people will have to pay more in premiums so as to subsidize the sick and now the interest from their student loans will be jacked up and used to fund this monstrosity.

Jesus, I never remember being so fucking gullible.

Most young people do not have:

1) a high enough income to understand how the cost of entitlement programs will affect their bottom line

2) Responsibility to anyone but themselves; so they do not uunderstand the fear of not meeting their financial commitments and how it will affect others.

Since nobody outright says it, it was done to circumvent the rules of the senate, they attached it to a reconcilation bill that was getting an up and down vote.

In short, its another example of corruption and disrespect for the system, that will bring similar retaliation when the opposition party takes power.

I have NO hypothesis, which is why I was hoping for some actual debate on the subect. I am NOT looking for partisan talking points, such as "power grab, control, etc etc"

I understand. However, I am sayingthat before we write off a theory as partisan, perhaps we should consider it as a valid theory?

1) It is a power grab and a chance for the government to increase revenue at the cost of an entire private industry.

2) it was inserted into the bill (law) so it can make the overall bill (law) look deficit neutral. Again, at the cost of an entire indusrty.

HOWEVER, some of the talk I have heard was it was being done ALSO to help smooth out the process. The banks have been very tight with their lending practices as of late, and since we the taxpayer bailed them out, how fair is that?

Can someone tell me what Student Loans and health care have in common? And why a student loan overhaul is in a health care bill?

it was included because they had to make the Bill, budget neutral....

The saving from the student loans being direct verses through the middle man. ..saves money, money they have used to fund the health care bill....is my understanding of why it had to be in there.

HOWEVER, some of the talk I have heard was it was being done ALSO to help smooth out the process. The banks have been very tight with their lending practices as of late, and since we the taxpayer bailed them out, how fair is that?

For personal loans and mortgages, yes, there is an issue there. However, I am not convinced that we should hold the banks responsible. Afterall, it was the government AND the people that blamed them for not being careful with their lending practices; and now we are criticizing them for being too careful.

But back to the topic, I have not heard or seen any data that shows that student loans were on the decline.

Truth is, the higher household income, the less likely one was to be able to get certain loans and grants for education; or so I thought (I may be wrong).

So I am unclear how lending practices are deemed by anyone as MORE stringent nowadays in regard to student loans.

But I will admit, I know very little about the student loan industry.

And Lord knows the sentiment by many... that the government should not be in the business of being a loan provider for college or anything else, let alone handling health care... but that is a whole other point

it was included because they had to make the Bill, budget neutral....

The saving from the student loans being direct verses through the middle man. ..saves money, money they have used to fund the health care bill....is my understanding of why it had to be in there.

So it was done to make it deficit neutral; but at the cost of an entire industry?

Do you not fear this becomeing more commonplace as our debt increases annually?

My bad...does anyone with a brain, who is not a partisan hack and who does not hate everything the Obama administration does, know why this is in the bill?

They may be partizan, but one might also say that Ockham's Razor is apt in this case: All things being equal, the simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Bolting a piece of controversial legislation onto a piece that is "Too big to fail" is one way of getting it through.

And Lord knows the sentiment by many... that the government should not be in the business of being a loan provider for college or anything else, let alone handling health care... but that is a whole other point

Even though you have heard that education, and particulalry higher educationis high on Obama's "to get fixed" list?

Even though you have heard that education, and particulalry higher educationis high on Obama's "to get fixed" list?

I have never heard that the issue was with student loans. I have heard many times that the issue is with the quality of lower education; AND with the cost of higher education. Not with the ability to take out a loan with for higher education.

Last edited:
We are told that increased competition by letting the government get involved in health care will lower costs yet they are telling us this philosophy does not apply with student loans... If the government is the only one granting student loans can't they charge whatever amount they want?

Forum List

Back