CDZ Why is it that the only "good job" that folks seem willing to do is a manufacturing job?

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
The U.S. economy is loaded with unfilled jobs that pay well, but they aren't manufacturing jobs.

casselman-datalab-jolts-march-2.png

casselman-datalab-jolts-march-3.png

Why are so many folks unwilling to do what they need to do (whatever that be for each individual) in order to get them?

The question above is what's been baffling me for years. Year in and year out we hear folks gripe about there being "no jobs." The fact is there are jobs. Lots of them and they are good jobs, jobs that pay amply well.
This week, New Yorker, published an article on precisely the topic of this thread: what's so great about manufacturing? I have pasted it below for your convenience.

At the end of the day, the question that one needs to ask oneself is, "Do I want to work, or do I want to work as a manufacturing employee?"

WHAT’S SO GREAT ABOUT MANUFACTURING

Dmocrats and Republicans disagree on a lot, but leaders of both parties are as keen now as they were decades ago to embrace manufacturing jobs. G.O.P. Presidential candidates, including Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio, have spoken of a “renaissance” in American manufacturing; Rubio, for his part,told a Los Angeles audience in April that taxes and regulations need to be relaxed to create more factory jobs. Meanwhile, a group of Democratic senators have joined forces with labor unions and some big businesses to support an ongoing campaign, backed by legislation, called Manufacturing Jobs for America (M.J.A.). “America’s manufacturing sector has enormous potential to create new jobs and accelerate our economic recovery,” the campaign declares.

The number of manufacturing jobs in the U.S. has increased modestly the past few years, but when parties offering different economic visions rush to take credit for a renaissance, it suggests that some kind of larger deception is at work. To many Americans who’ve worked in factories, including me, the hype feels misplaced and anachronistic. What few politicians will tell you is that most factory jobs are decidedly unpleasant. Having any job usually beats unemployment, of course, and today’s factory workers are far better off than those who toiled in the nineteenth century’s dark Satanic mills, but their jobs often epitomize what Karl Marx identified as the alienation of the laborer from his or her labor. They lead the human employee to be treated, in the enduring phrase of Marx and Friedrich Engels, as “an appendage of the machine.”

It says something about the nature of the work that so many manufacturing tasks have proven to be replaceable by automation. Machines are better equipped to handle numbing repetition, and are immune to the unsafe and unhealthy conditions of much industrial work. Despite the advent of modern workplace-safety regulations, factories remain likely, for example, to damage employees’ lungs and hearing. (In the screw-machine factory where I worked in college, there was an earplug dispenser on a wall, but anyone who wore plugs was considered a wuss.) Furthermore, workers in low-autonomy, repetitive manufacturing jobs display disproportionately high rates of alcoholism, drug abuse, and depression.

Moreover, it’s evident that an advanced, twenty-first-century economy can grow even as manufacturing shrinks. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 17.2 million manufacturing jobs in the United States twenty years ago; today the figure is 12.3 million. Yet America’s gross domestic product during that period rose from about ten trillion dollars to more than sixteen trillion, adjusted for inflation.

Why, then, is America so in love with manufacturing jobs? Historically, manufacturing played a unique and vital role in economic development. Some economists, particularly those influenced by Nicholas Kaldor, who taught at Cambridge and developed a set of “laws” about economic development, emphasize that there is a strong correlation between the health of a country’s manufacturing sector and the pace of its economic growth. And common sense tells us that few countries have joined the world’s élite solely by farming or extracting natural resources. Manufacturing is also vital during wartime, when it’s important for a country to have access to its own supply of tanks, bombers, and materiel. In addition, producing physical objects holds a nostalgic, psychological attraction.

None of this, however, has much to do with why today’s politicians tout manufacturing. Its main attraction for them, and for workers, lies in its perceived economic benefits. “Workers in manufacturing jobs earn 24 percent more in annual pay and benefits than the average worker in other industries,” the M.J.A. campaign claims, citing figures from the National Association of Manufacturers. Many basic factory jobs also require little skill, training, or language ability, which means that most adults can perform them. Because unskilled workers still make up a significant portion of the American workforce, manufacturing is for millions of people the best economic choice available.

There’s nothing intrinsic to assembling widgets that guarantees higher wages, though. On the contrary: one of the main reasons that the U.S. has lost so many manufacturing jobs in recent decades is that the same work can be done elsewhere for a fraction of the cost. Manufacturing pays better than many low-skilled jobs in large part because it was for a long time a highly unionized sector, and workers were able to lock in higher wages over years of collectively bargained contracts. Yet even that advantage is not what it once was. A manufacturing employee today is far less likely than a government employee to be represented by a labor union. (You probably won’t hear a lot of political rhetoric, even from Democrats, about how we need more well-paying government jobs, however).

Indeed, some of the jobs created in the recent manufacturing “renaissance” are distinguished by their low pay. When Los Angeles passed a law this year that will raise the minimum wage to fifteen dollars an hour by 2020, some local apparel manufacturers grumbled that they would move their operations outside the city limits to avoid paying more than the state’s minimum wage, which will rise next year to ten dollars an hour. If these businesses make good on their threat, Los Angeles could end up as a city in which fast-food workers are better paid than manufacturing workers not far from its borders.

As anomalous as that situation may appear, it might help us rethink some outdated notions of work and value. If our society’s goal is good wages and benefits, there’s not much point in fretting about whether the jobs our globalized economy creates are in the manufacturing sector. The deeper challenge is to find ways to insure that the jobs created by the American economy pay well and promote social goals such as health, the environment, and worker satisfaction, regardless of sector. The resistance to higher wages among some of Los Angeles’s producers suggests that this won’t be easy in manufacturing. To the extent that a lack of skills in all areas holds back American workers from higher wages, it could take generations for the workforce to develop those skills. Still, the problem of low and stagnant wages won’t disappear or get any easier by continuing to pretend that manufacturing ought to be our only, or even our highest, priority.

The concluding sentence of the article above is what this thread is about.

Postscript:

Frankly, were I looking for an "easy" route to getting some sort of decent job, I'd learn a foreign language. I'm wholly serious. Companies are willing to train folks at how to do whatever the company does/wants done if a worker can walk in the door being fully literate in a language other than English. And for that, one need not obtain a college degree.
What does it take to become fluent in many foreign languages? Four to six semesters of community college foreign language instruction. And for the bigots in the U.S., there's also the upside, in addition to getting a good paying job, that U.S. employers will in general sooner hire a fluent XYZ language speaker who has an American accent when they speak English than hire a fluent XYZ language speaker who has the accent of that language. Of course, the bigots in the world can only get those jobs if they get up off their sanctimonious asses and learn that foreign language.

The U.S. economy is loaded with unfilled jobs that pay well, but they aren't manufacturing jobs.

Why are so many folks unwilling to do what they need to do (whatever that be for each individual) in order to get them?

The question above is what's been baffling me for years. Year in and year out we hear folks gripe about there being "no jobs." The fact is there are jobs. Lots of them and they are good jobs, jobs that pay amply well.
This week, New Yorker, published an article on precisely the topic of this thread: what's so great about manufacturing? I have pasted it below for your convenience.

At the end of the day, the question that one needs to ask oneself is, "Do I want to work, or do I want to work as a manufacturing employee?"

Dmocrats and Republicans disagree on a lot, but leaders of both parties are as keen now as they were decades ago to embrace manufacturing jobs. G.O.P. Presidential candidates, including Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio, have spoken of a “renaissance” in American manufacturing; Rubio, for his part,told a Los Angeles audience in April that taxes and regulations need to be relaxed to create more factory jobs. Meanwhile, a group of Democratic senators have joined forces with labor unions and some big businesses to support an ongoing campaign, backed by legislation, called Manufacturing Jobs for America (M.J.A.). “America’s manufacturing sector has enormous potential to create new jobs and accelerate our economic recovery,” the campaign declares.

The number of manufacturing jobs in the U.S. has increased modestly the past few years, but when parties offering different economic visions rush to take credit for a renaissance, it suggests that some kind of larger deception is at work. To many Americans who’ve worked in factories, including me, the hype feels misplaced and anachronistic. What few politicians will tell you is that most factory jobs are decidedly unpleasant. Having any job usually beats unemployment, of course, and today’s factory workers are far better off than those who toiled in the nineteenth century’s dark Satanic mills, but their jobs often epitomize what Karl Marx identified as the alienation of the laborer from his or her labor. They lead the human employee to be treated, in the enduring phrase of Marx and Friedrich Engels, as “an appendage of the machine.”

It says something about the nature of the work that so many manufacturing tasks have proven to be replaceable by automation. Machines are better equipped to handle numbing repetition, and are immune to the unsafe and unhealthy conditions of much industrial work. Despite the advent of modern workplace-safety regulations, factories remain likely, for example, to damage employees’ lungs and hearing. (In the screw-machine factory where I worked in college, there was an earplug dispenser on a wall, but anyone who wore plugs was considered a wuss.) Furthermore, workers in low-autonomy, repetitive manufacturing jobs display disproportionately high rates of alcoholism, drug abuse, and depression.

Moreover, it’s evident that an advanced, twenty-first-century economy can grow even as manufacturing shrinks. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 17.2 million manufacturing jobs in the United States twenty years ago; today the figure is 12.3 million. Yet America’s gross domestic product during that period rose from about ten trillion dollars to more than sixteen trillion, adjusted for inflation.

Why, then, is America so in love with manufacturing jobs? Historically, manufacturing played a unique and vital role in economic development. Some economists, particularly those influenced by Nicholas Kaldor, who taught at Cambridge and developed a set of “laws” about economic development, emphasize that there is a strong correlation between the health of a country’s manufacturing sector and the pace of its economic growth. And common sense tells us that few countries have joined the world’s élite solely by farming or extracting natural resources. Manufacturing is also vital during wartime, when it’s important for a country to have access to its own supply of tanks, bombers, and materiel. In addition, producing physical objects holds a nostalgic, psychological attraction.

None of this, however, has much to do with why today’s politicians tout manufacturing. Its main attraction for them, and for workers, lies in its perceived economic benefits. “Workers in manufacturing jobs earn 24 percent more in annual pay and benefits than the average worker in other industries,” the M.J.A. campaign claims, citing figures from the National Association of Manufacturers. Many basic factory jobs also require little skill, training, or language ability, which means that most adults can perform them. Because unskilled workers still make up a significant portion of the American workforce, manufacturing is for millions of people the best economic choice available.

There’s nothing intrinsic to assembling widgets that guarantees higher wages, though. On the contrary: one of the main reasons that the U.S. has lost so many manufacturing jobs in recent decades is that the same work can be done elsewhere for a fraction of the cost. Manufacturing pays better than many low-skilled jobs in large part because it was for a long time a highly unionized sector, and workers were able to lock in higher wages over years of collectively bargained contracts. Yet even that advantage is not what it once was. A manufacturing employee today is far less likely than a government employee to be represented by a labor union. (You probably won’t hear a lot of political rhetoric, even from Democrats, about how we need more well-paying government jobs, however).

Indeed, some of the jobs created in the recent manufacturing “renaissance” are distinguished by their low pay. When Los Angeles passed a law this year that will raise the minimum wage to fifteen dollars an hour by 2020, some local apparel manufacturers grumbled that they would move their operations outside the city limits to avoid paying more than the state’s minimum wage, which will rise next year to ten dollars an hour. If these businesses make good on their threat, Los Angeles could end up as a city in which fast-food workers are better paid than manufacturing workers not far from its borders.

As anomalous as that situation may appear, it might help us rethink some outdated notions of work and value. If our society’s goal is good wages and benefits, there’s not much point in fretting about whether the jobs our globalized economy creates are in the manufacturing sector. The deeper challenge is to find ways to insure that the jobs created by the American economy pay well and promote social goals such as health, the environment, and worker satisfaction, regardless of sector. The resistance to higher wages among some of Los Angeles’s producers suggests that this won’t be easy in manufacturing. To the extent that a lack of skills in all areas holds back American workers from higher wages, it could take generations for the workforce to develop those skills. Still, the problem of low and stagnant wages won’t disappear or get any easier by continuing to pretend that manufacturing ought to be our only, or even our highest, priority.

Postscript:

Frankly, were I looking for an "easy" route to getting some sort of decent job, I'd learn a foreign language. I'm wholly serious. Companies are willing to train folks at how to do whatever the company does/wants done if a worker can walk in the door being fully literate in a language other than English. And for that, one need not obtain a college degree.
What does it take to become fluent in many foreign languages? Four to six semesters of community college foreign language instruction. And for the bigots in the U.S., there's also the upside, in addition to getting a good paying job, that U.S. employers will in general sooner hire a fluent XYZ language speaker who has an American accent when they speak English than hire a fluent XYZ language speaker who has the accent of that language. Of course, the bigots in the world can only get those jobs if they get up off their sanctimonious asses and learn that foreign language.

Great post and you have to ask the question, why would the middle class be against either free college or reduced cost to go to college. The middle class children are the ones that would benefit from this the most. "By god I don't want my kids to get educated, punching metal slugs for $8 an hour is good enough for them.

You have to be sad and at the same time marvel at the certain tiny segment of this population that can convince another relatively large segment of the population that up is down, and that voting against your own best interest is good.

Postscript:

Great post and you have to ask the question, why would the middle class be against either free college or reduced cost to go to college. The middle class children are the ones that would benefit from this the most. "By god I don't want my kids to get educated, punching metal slugs for $8 an hour is good enough for them.

You have to be sad and at the same time marvel at the certain tiny segment of this population that can convince another relatively large segment of the population that up is down, and that voting against your own best interest is good.
“Workers in manufacturing jobs earn 24 percent more in annual pay and benefits than the average worker in other industries,” the M.J.A. campaign claims, citing figures from the National Association of Manufacturers. Many basicfactory jobs also require little skill, training, or language ability, which means that most adults can perform them. Because unskilled workers still make up a significant portion of the American workforce, manufacturing is for millions of people the best economic choice available.

Why do unskilled workers still make up a significant portion of the American workforce? Because they aren't college material. Think about it. The average IQ is 100, and that's not real clever, folks. That means about half are at or below 100--even less clever. I'm not an IQ snob; IQ is pretty much an indicator of academic success, not a lot else. But that's the point. Academic success is what gets folks through school and the post secondary training or college that leads to higher economic success. Perhaps unions "spoiled" workers by paying high wages for unskilled labor. I worked on an assembly line once, for three weeks at minimum wage, before I quit due to the stultifying boredom and unpleasant working conditions (including the ladies room being closed for two days due to a "crabs" infestation). It wasn't worth it.

Maybe factory work should never have been made into such good paying jobs, but it was, for a few generations worth of workers, and it became the expectation.

The problem is, most of these unskilled workers are unskilled for a reason. They are doing the work they are able to do. They don't like it that the current jobs in accommodations/food service, retail, and unskilled healthcare like home health aides and CNA's, do not provide a comfortable living wage. Hard working, motivated people will rise through the ranks to a supervisory position or get additional training to "move up the ladder," but a lot of people will pretty much be where they enter forever. They will work hard at honest jobs and still be eligible for subsidized healthcare, heating assistance and food stamps.

Do we pay them more, or do we just ignore their groans and wait for them to die off--their kids will have grown up expecting less, and maybe that's the way it should be?

I don't know the answer, but at least unlike the OP I am aware that my higher than average IQ is NOT what all people are blessed with and the reality of the situation is that we as Americans have started looking down our noses at unskilled jobs that don't allow you a decent apartment and a second hand car. Honest work is honest work and I know a lot of people engaged in it. None of them deserve any less respect because of it. However, kids and the public in general are being brainwashed to believe that everyone can become an IT programmer or stock broker, and it is not true.

Postscript:

We sell the products overseas.

Postscript:

“Workers in manufacturing jobs earn 24 percent more in annual pay and benefits than the average worker in other industries,” the M.J.A. campaign claims, citing figures from the National Association of Manufacturers. Many basicfactory jobs also require little skill, training, or language ability, which means that most adults can perform them. Because unskilled workers still make up a significant portion of the American workforce, manufacturing is for millions of people the best economic choice available.

Why do unskilled workers still make up a significant portion of the American workforce? Because they aren't college material. Think about it. The average IQ is 100, and that's not real clever, folks. That means about half are at or below 100--even less clever. I'm not an IQ snob; IQ is pretty much an indicator of academic success, not a lot else. But that's the point. Academic success is what gets folks through school and the post secondary training or college that leads to higher economic success. Perhaps unions "spoiled" workers by paying high wages for unskilled labor. I worked on an assembly line once, for three weeks at minimum wage, before I quit due to the stultifying boredom and unpleasant working conditions (including the ladies room being closed for two days due to a "crabs" infestation). It wasn't worth it.

Maybe factory work should never have been made into such good paying jobs, but it was, for a few generations worth of workers, and it became the expectation.

The problem is, most of these unskilled workers are unskilled for a reason. They are doing the work they are able to do. They don't like it that the current jobs in accommodations/food service, retail, and unskilled healthcare like home health aides and CNA's, do not provide a comfortable living wage. Hard working, motivated people will rise through the ranks to a supervisory position or get additional training to "move up the ladder," but a lot of people will pretty much be where they enter forever. They will work hard at honest jobs and still be eligible for subsidized healthcare, heating assistance and food stamps.

Do we pay them more, or do we just ignore their groans and wait for them to die off--their kids will have grown up expecting less, and maybe that's the way it should be?

I don't know the answer, but at least unlike the OP I am aware that my higher than average IQ is NOT what all people are blessed with and the reality of the situation is that we as Americans have started looking down our noses at unskilled jobs that don't allow you a decent apartment and a second hand car. Honest work is honest work and I know a lot of people engaged in it. None of them deserve any less respect because of it. However, kids and the public in general are being brainwashed to believe that everyone can become an IT programmer or stock broker, and it is not true.

Manufacturing isn't made up of all 'unskilled' jobs. CNC, Welder, Auto Repair, Carpenter, these aren't jobs you just walk into and after a month are an expert in. There is a reason they make higher wages. There are unskilled positions but most require skilled workers and some of them require very skilled workers. It isn't hard to weld, but welding with a perfect bead ready to paint takes great skill. Welding stainless steel requires even more skill and much practice and welders like this command high wages.

And I think 'college' should mean trade schools as well. Other countries are providing such training to it's people, we have to keep up.

In the realm of why aren't people taking a job, a job is a job I agree.

In the macro sense manufacturing jobs make the country better because they produce something and can bring money into your city, county, state or country where McDonalds jobs while they may be worth a happy face in Civilization games just take money from Bob's money from the plant and give it to Daisy behind the counter.

Now many jobs at IBM and others support hard core manufacturing.

Postscript:

Manufacturing isn't made up of all 'unskilled' jobs. CNC, Welder, Auto Repair, Carpenter, these aren't jobs you just walk into and after a month are an expert in. There is a reason they make higher wages. There are unskilled positions but most require skilled workers and some of them require very skilled workers. It isn't hard to weld, but welding with a perfect bead ready to paint takes great skill. Welding stainless steel requires even more skill and much practice and welders like this command high wages.

And I think 'college' should mean trade schools as well. Other countries are providing such training to it's people, we have to keep up.
I realize that. Welders and Carpenters are never going to be out of work, are they? I don't consider them as "manufacturing" jobs, and those aren't the type of jobs that were being inferred by the article I responded to. I'm not disrespecting the work anyone does; I hope it doesn't sound like I am.

Perhaps unions "spoiled" workers by paying high wages for unskilled labor.....Maybe factory work should never have been made into such good paying jobs, but it was, for a few generations worth of workers, and it became the expectation.

Red:
For some roles in manufacturing, yes. For others, no because the "good/high" was commensurate with the task.

Blue:
Even now, it's not an always unrealistic expectation that one receive a high paying job. That said, the expectation that getting an unskilled job in manufacturing is one that workers must "get over." That expectation was realizable in the post-war 1940s, especially by modestly educated white males, when the U.S. manufacturing industry was largely the "engine" that supplied material shares of the goods the rest of the world, especially Europe, needed to rebuild war torn countries.

Some of those men also acquired useful manufacturing skills while serving in the military during the war, so I'm not so sure that they were unskilled as conventional wisdom would have us believe. Either way, what needs to come to an end is this idea that unskilled individuals can get a "good" manufacturing job. The expectation may have been a reasonable one in 1947, but it's not now, and it's not realistic to expect that any boost in U.S. domestic manufacturing -- be it due to innovation or limits on free trade -- is going to change that.

Sidebar: A brief history lesson:
At the end of World War II the United States was by far the dominant industrial economy in the world. With industrial capacity largely destroyed in Europe and Japan, the United States produced more than 60 percent of the world's output of manufactures in the late 1940s. As a result, the United States was a net exporter of manufactured goods of all kinds; historically the United States was a net importer of consumer goods, but in 1947 there was a net export surplus of $1 billion in that category. Thus in the immediate postwar years, the pattern of United States trade was distorted by a relative strength in manufacturing that was transitory.

The recovery of the European and Japanese economies in the 1950s and 1960s, and the growth of manufacturing capacity in the developing countries in the 1960s and 1970s inevitably reduced the United States share of world output and of world exports. The evolution of United States trade patterns since World War II has been strongly influenced by these initial postwar conditions. By the 1970s, trade patterns reflecting underlying comparative advantage had been restored, and the United States was once again an importer of consumer goods​
End of sidebar.

Eighty-four percent of manufacturing executives say there is a significant talent shortage in the manufacturing sector. Between now and 2022, the manufacturing sector will need to fill 2.2 million openings for production workers. Half a million of those openings will be for engineers, and an untold number of job openings will be for new, emerging occupations.

In an effort to address this shortage and improve manufacturing technologies, President Obama created the Nationwide Network for Manufacturing Innovation (NNMI). It works with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) on a network of manufacturing hubs that receive government funding and private-matching funds and connect to colleges and universities to educate and train workers in technology -- whether automotive aeronautics or textiles -- that will be necessary for the future.

Dr. Frank W. Gayle, deputy director of the Advanced Manufacturing National Program Office (AMNPO), which administers the National Network for Manufacturing Innovation, said, "You don't need an engineering degree, or even any degree, to work in advanced manufacturing, although of course it is helpful. We want kids to know that these jobs are available, that they are plentiful, and they lead to a rewarding and reliable career."

Honest work is honest work and I know a lot of people engaged in it. None of them deserve any less respect because of it.

Agreed. I face no difficulty respecting the individuals as such. What I cannot respect are sophistic ideas such as:
  • Restrictions on free trade will bring manufacturing back to the U.S.
  • "Unskilled" is synonymous with "lacking a college degree."
  • The only good jobs for "regular" folks are in manufacturing.
  • Millions of individual who are indeed unskilled can actually get "good paying" jobs in the 21st century.

Other countries are providing such training to it's people, we have to keep up.

I agree; however, I also recognize that "keeping up" requires effort not just on the part of the government. It also requires citizens to do more than stand there expecting a job to come looking for them or fall in their "unskilled" or underskilled lap. The days of being able to get a "good job" by merely being white, male, and living are gone.

Thanks for the sidebar; that was good to know.
If training is available to work with these new automated machines in our factories without getting a degree, that is really awesome. Getting skills on the job or in a program geared specifically to the technologies a person will be encountering is the best way to handle the worker shortage.

This old canard again?

People want a return of manufacturing jobs b/c those are the jobs that people who quite frankly aren't capable of earning a college degree could get and earn a respectable income. The loss of these jobs has meant that the people who were filling those type of jobs suddenly find themselves only qualified to work minimum wage type jobs, and thus now you see a demand to raise those wages, AND you see a lack of starter jobs for today's youth.

Yeah, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that all things being equal many people would love to choose an office job over a manufacturing job, but this is the real world, not 320's Polyanna world and many people simply will never be able to educate themselves to the point of being bankers, or whatever.

And this doesn't even consider that some people just prefer blue collar work.

This thread was nothing but yet another excuse for 320 to look down his nose at people who get dirty as they work.

My bad brother in law does a job I could not do. He puts wheels on cars ALL DAY LONG. That man gets physically beat every day at work doing a repetitive mind numbing task at a pace set for him, not by him.

Just like driving a truck, I couldn't do it. I'd have to get myself promoted or hunt down another job so I could feed my family.

How much an hour would they have to pay me to do that job? Probably someplace around $40 an hour I'd think about it. Is that more or less than I make with my moderate website and photoshop skills?

Postscript:

I realize that. Welders and Carpenters are never going to be out of work, are they? I don't consider them as "manufacturing" jobs, and those aren't the type of jobs that were being inferred by the article I responded to. I'm not disrespecting the work anyone does; I hope it doesn't sound like I am.

You exhibit subjective thinking.

It doesn't matter what YOU consider manufacturing jobs. Those jobs are considered manufacturing jobs.

Postscript:

It doesn't matter what YOU consider manufacturing jobs. Those jobs are considered manufacturing jobs.
For a second time, I realize that. The plight of unskilled workers is what we are talking about, though, isn't it?

For a second time, I realize that. The plight of unskilled workers is what we are talking about, though, isn't it?

I realize you weren't replying to me, but I do want to make one thing clear....

Red:
Um, no, that's not exactly what I've been writing about. "Plight," implies a degree of emotionalism and it connotes that one lacks any real control over the situation in which one finds oneself. My remarks on this matter have at their heart the dissociation of emotion from decision making about one's career and they derive from what I see as the reality that each of us indeed has some degree of control over the choices we made or don't make in managing our respective situations. Too, my remarks are indifferent to whether one is "skilled" or "unskilled." I see the onus as existing for both nearly all individuals in both categories of worker.

I think that whereas you are of a mind that folks of average intellect are unable to intuit from the clues our economy gives us the sorts of things I say we each must glean from those signs, I differ. It is my position that being of average intellect provides one with enough "smarts" for one to know one cannot effectively "read the writing on the wall" and thus knowing that, one's first burden/step must be to seek the advice of others who can make sense of the signs, and one must do so in a more palpable and actionable way than merely relying on/waiting for our elected leaders to solve one's specific problems.

The gap between openings and hires is because some businesses advertise for new workers they have no intention of hiring. It helps keep the old workers in check. As for manufacturing, it used to provide an economic floor to most communities. Even if you couldn't get a better job, at least you could eventually get a job in the factory if you knew somebody or waited long enough. That is no longer the case. Heck to even get a job at most of the factories in our area now you have to go through some drawn out 7, 8, 10 step interview process that can take weeks and weeks.

The gap between openings and hires is because some businesses advertise for new workers they have no intention of hiring. It helps keep the old workers in check. As for manufacturing, it used to provide an economic floor to most communities. Even if you couldn't get a better job, at least you could eventually get a job in the factory if you knew somebody or waited long enough. That is no longer the case. Heck to even get a job at most of the factories in our area now you have to go through some drawn out 7, 8, 10 step interview process that can take weeks and weeks.

The gap between openings and hires is because some businesses advertise for new workers they have no intention of hiring.

Wtf? So now you think it is a grand conspiracy plot by the evil HR. Lady?

Tell me more please..

The gap between openings and hires is because some businesses advertise for new workers they have no intention of hiring.

Wtf? So now you think it is a grand conspiracy plot by the evil HR. Lady?

Tell me more please..

No the HR lady does what she is told.

Forum List

Back