Why is food such a sensitive subject?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
_106430094_chinese_food_index_getty.jpg

US celebrity chef Andrew Zimmern came under fire for saying that his restaurant Lucky Cricket would save people from the low-standard "restaurants masquerading as Chinese food that are in the Midwest". Critics accused him of being patronising towards smaller restaurants run by immigrant families, and he later issued an apology.

Meanwhile, in the UK, supermarket chain Marks and Spencer was accused of cultural appropriation after it produced a new vegan biriyani wrap, despite the Indian dish normally being served with rice and meat.

And Gordon Ramsay's new London restaurant, Lucky Cat, was criticised for selling itself as an "authentic Asian Eating House" - despite not having an Asian chef.

Don’t go messin’ with my food.” The cries of ethnic groups throughout the world.

Mexican Food often isn’t Mexican

Chinese don’t usually fry their foods like you see in many Chinese restaurants.

"If you are going to promote yourself as someone who cooks or sells food from a culture you didn't grow up in, I would say it's also your responsibility to make sure you're doing it in a way that truly respects the people who grew up in the culture - and the people who frankly invented some of the things you're doing."

Much more @ Why do people get so angry about food?

"Critics". It doesn't matter what you say. If the (mostly liberal) media gets on your case they can ruin you no matter what.

It's not a conversation that the rest of us are having. It is being foisted on us. I'm not flying in to eat at Lucky Lee, Lucky Cricket or anywhere else. American-Chinese food was created when the Chinese came to build the railroads and work in the mines. It was doomed from the get go because they tried to recreate the food they were used to with what was available. It was largely based on Cantonese cuisine. That's just one region of China.

Mexico has more than one region.

"If you are going to promote yourself as someone who cooks or sells food from a culture you didn't grow up in, I would say it's also your responsibility to make sure you're doing it in a way that truly respects the people who grew up in the culture - and the people who frankly invented some of the things you're doing."
I second this. At the end of the day, however, in my opinion people who have food in front of them at all should label that as the most important thing when too many people in this world do not have any in their picture.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back