Why is America a do-nothing country?

Why doesn't the US do anything GREAT anymore. Why are we not leading the world in some project to make the world a better place?
During the Civil War Lincoln started the building of the transcontinental railroad. Teddy Roosevelt gave us the Panama Canal and the National Park System. Franklin Roosevelt gave America the Manhatten Project which produced the BOMB and more inportantly the first nuclear reactor. Eisenhower was responsible for the Federal Interstate Highway System. Kennedy led America and the world to the moon.
What major undertaking have we taken on since? Why wasn't America the first country to have a bullet train? Why are France and Japan ahead of us in these areas?
Why is America now a do nothing country (Wars and military action excluded, of course)? Why has America chosen to be a follower (and a damn poor one at that) rather than a world leader in some endeavor other than making war?

Think about it. Name the landmark achievements of Carter, Reagan, G. Bush, Clinton, GWB, and Obama.

Why do you only count government actions? Don't private achievements count? How many lives do you think have been saved by CT and MRI scanners or the advances in cancer treatments. And as mind boggling as that is, it barely scratches the surface of technological advancement when you look a advances in energy exploration and other commercial advancements. If you always look to government for satisfaction you should get used to being disappointed.

He doesn't count private achievements because he's a libturd who is trying to justify some massive spending program. He also doesn't count the internet, the cell phone, the flat screen TV. He doesn't count GPS, which is one of the greatest inventions of all time. He Doesn't count the artificial heart, artificial joints, laser eye surgury or other medical advances. The libturd isn't interested in advances that actually benefit humanity. He only cares about boondoggles that politicians can strut and thump their chests over.

Umm... GPS and the internet were brought about with massive government involvement through grants and the military. And you can thank NASA for alot of the tech advances of the last 30 years.

Last edited:
Because MY tax money shouldn't be used for that shit. IF the people of America want to do something great, get the private sector together and do it. NOT the government.

Why do you only count government actions? Don't private achievements count? How many lives do you think have been saved by CT and MRI scanners or the advances in cancer treatments. And as mind boggling as that is, it barely scratches the surface of technological advancement when you look a advances in energy exploration and other commercial advancements. If you always look to government for satisfaction you should get used to being disappointed.

He doesn't count private achievements because he's a libturd who is trying to justify some massive spending program. He also doesn't count the internet, the cell phone, the flat screen TV. He doesn't count GPS, which is one of the greatest inventions of all time. He Doesn't count the artificial heart, artificial joints, laser eye surgury or other medical advances. The libturd isn't interested in advances that actually benefit humanity. He only cares about boondoggles that politicians can strut and thump their chests over.

Umm... GPS and the internet were brought about with massive government involvement through grants and the military. And you can thank NASA for alot of the tech advances of the last 30 years.

No you libtard, we're talking about the federal government, not stuff the military invented.

No you libtard, we're talking about the federal government, not stuff the military invented.
Okaaay,.... you do know that the military is not having bake sales to get funding for said projects? And you call me a tard?

No one has given the obvious answer so I guess I will have to.

The US government cannot embark on any big project because it is worse than flat broke, it is massively and increasingly in debt. I do hope that Americans will soon wake up to this reality and have the courage to do something about it.

As I recall, that didn't stop Reagan from spending a fortune on a failed Star Wars system.

Why doesn't the US do anything GREAT anymore. Why are we not leading the world in some project to make the world a better place?

I think this is a fair question. My take is that we're a culture in decay, and that this cultural decay ultimately spreads to our politics, our economy, our behavior, even our entertainment.

What happened? Maybe it's possible that the Great American Experiment worked too well. Our Constitution is one incredible document, it (relatively quickly) made us the most prosperous, free and powerful nation on the planet.

Well, maybe that made us narcissistic and fat -- both physically and intellectually -- and lazy. Entitled. I have to have everything now and it has to be the newest thing and it has to be my way or I'm gonna shove it right back in your face. And we're "exceptional" and we don't have to listen to anyone else. And now I'm gonna go take a "selfie" and compare it to the 7,000 other selfies I've taken this week and put it online and become a celebrity even though I can't construct a coherent sentence. And by the way, if I decide that you have "offended" me, well, I'm gonna see that you're sorry.

People had to fight and die and sacrifice everything so that we could have it so good, and now we don't appear to give a flying fuck.

Last edited:

The US government cannot embark on any big project because it is worse than flat broke, it is massively and increasingly in debt. I do hope that Americans will soon wake up to this reality and have the courage to do something about it.

As I recall, that didn't stop Reagan from spending a fortune on a failed Star Wars system.

Failed? <snicker>

Oh.... Did I miss some grand accomplishment. Name some of those huge accomplishments the US has made in recent years. And as for the space station, it was not just the US, it was a joint project of several nations. That is why it is generally referred to as the International Space Station. And by the way, exactly when was that station proposed? What has been proposed lately?

We killed bin laden....yes we can!
We killed bin Laden! Whoop de do!!!! We killed an addition 100,00 or so in Iraq but I am excluding war as a worthwild accomplishment. Do me a favor, rate the killing of bin Laden against the following list: (No particular order)
Building Panama Canal
Establishing a National Park System
Putting a man on the moon
Building the freeway system
Establishing the Manhatten Project
So, where do you think bin Laden would end up

So, killing bin Laden matches up with the accomplishments on the above list.

Your nutter snark meter needs an adjustment.

I think this is a fair question. My take is that we're a culture in decay, and that this cultural decay ultimately spreads to our politics, our economy, our behavior, even our entertainment.

What happened? Maybe it's possible that the Great American Experiment worked too well. Our Constitution is one incredible document, it (relatively quickly) made us the most prosperous, free and powerful nation on the planet.

Well, maybe that made us narcissistic and fat -- both physically and intellectually -- and lazy. Entitled. I have to have everything now and it has to be the newest thing and it has to be my way or I'm gonna shove it right back in your face. And we're "exceptional" and we don't have to listen to anyone else. And now I'm gonna go take a "selfie" and compare it to the 7,000 other selfies I've taken this week and put it online and become a celebrity even though I can't construct a coherent sentence. And by the way, if I decide that you have "offended" me, well, I'm gonna see that you're sorry.

People had to fight and die and sacrifice everything so that we could have it so good, and now we don't appear to give a flying fuck.

It came near the end....but I knew you'd get around to blaming "PC" in that post. Guess how I knew!

You sure have got a depressed core, Mac. Maybe someone should give you a participation trophy?

It was Star Wars that won the cold war and caused the Evil Empire aka the USSR to collapse

The Russians almost broke their economy in a vain attempt to match Star Wars. Gorbachev, seeing that Russia could not keep up and that the West had won, gave up.

Thank you America. That was a moment of greatness.

The military created GPS, but the government had very little to do with the Internet. That claim is a liberal myth. As for NASA, what technical advances is it responsible for?

Not your entertainment. It has never been better - I'm watching the quite brilliant House of Cards now. However this series could be said to bring out a few things that are wrong with you politics.

Listen, I'll tell you what you need to do. No false modesty from me. Firstly, split the presidency: one who is a ceremonial figure for the entire country to unite behind and a second - call him the Chief Executive or something - who does the politcs.

Secondly, reform the voting system to give the people who pay the taxes a greater say.

Thirdly, change the system to make it easier for new and small political parties to make headway.

Just do as I say and, in the fullness of time, you'll be thanking me.

Why is America a do-nothing country?

Because our leadership (both parties) bankrupted the nation fighting pointless wars and giving tax breaks to billionaires for the last 50 forking years, that's why.

]Why doesn't the US do anything GREAT anymore. Why are we not leading the world in some project to make the world a better place?
During the Civil War Lincoln started the building of the transcontinental railroad. Teddy Roosevelt gave us the Panama Canal and the National Park System. Franklin Roosevelt gave America the Manhatten Project which produced the BOMB and more inportantly the first nuclear reactor. Eisenhower was responsible for the Federal Interstate Highway System. Kennedy led America and the world to the moon.
What major undertaking have we taken on since? Why wasn't America the first country to have a bullet train? Why are France and Japan ahead of us in these areas?
Why is America now a do nothing country (Wars and military action excluded, of course)? Why has America chosen to be a follower (and a damn poor one at that) rather than a world leader in some endeavor other than making war?[/SIZE][/FONT]
Think about it. Name the landmark achievements of Carter, Reagan, G. Bush, Clinton, GWB, and Obama.[/SIZE][/FONT]

because of the leftwing agenda and too much government intrusion into the people lives.

and too much DEBT.

carter, clinton, obama, w did not have landmark achievements. Reagan did - he helped to disintegrate the evil empire - that is the biggest achievement of XX century.

Last edited:

It was Star Wars that won the cold war and caused the Evil Empire aka the USSR to collapse

The Russians almost broke their economy in a vain attempt to match Star Wars. Gorbachev, seeing that Russia could not keep up and that the West had won, gave up.

Thank you America. That was a moment of greatness.

that was THE GREATEST moment of the XX century.

The military created GPS, but the government had very little to do with the Internet. That claim is a liberal myth. As for NASA, what technical advances is it responsible for?

The government had a lot to do with the invention of the internet. ARPA, the agency responsible for it's creation, is part of the U.S. Department of Defense.

A couple other accomplishments you mention, such as mobile phones and laser eye surgery, weren't originally developed in the U.S.

Last edited:

The government had a lot to do with the invention of the internet. ARPA, the agency responsible for it's creation, is part of the U.S. Department of Defense.

A couple other accomplishments you mention, such as mobile phones and laser eye surgery, weren't originally developed in the U.S.

Hmmm, yeah, mobile phones are an American Invention.

History of mobile phones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Motorola was the first company to produce a handheld mobile phone. On 3 April 1973 Martin Cooper, a Motorola engineer and executive, made the first mobile telephone call from handheld subscriber equipment in front of reporters, placing a call to Dr. Joel S. Engel of Bell Labs.[5][6] The prototype handheld phone used by Dr. Martin Cooper weighed 1.1 kg and measured 23 cm long, 13 cm deep and 4.45 cm wide. The prototype offered a talk time of just 30 minutes and took 10 hours to re-charge.[7] Cooper has stated his vision for the handheld device was inspired by Captain James T. Kirk using his Communicator on the television show Star Trek.[8]​

Russia may have tried laser surgery first, but America perfected it and made it affordable for everyone.

Why is America now a do nothing country (Wars and military action excluded, of course)? Why has America chosen to be a follower (and a damn poor one at that) rather than a world leader in some endeavor other than making war?

Think about it. Name the landmark achievements of Carter, Reagan, G. Bush, Clinton, GWB, and Obama.

Anything you mention pales in comparison to the rousing success of Obamacare.

So, THERE!!! America is still the leader with the greatest President it ever had!!!

On a more serious note, how about the internet? It is proof positive that its inventor, Al Gore should have been declared President in 2000.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back