Why I was a Mediocre Student in Law School

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

At issue here is the case of a crazy/retarded/Black homeless person (don't recall what euphemism was used in the article) who died as a result of horrible treatment by the Pittsburgh Police while he was being arrested for "theft" of a bicycle that was marked by a sign as "free." Horrible case, no question about it.

But the Gainey Administration of Pittsburgh approved a settlement of EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS to the "family" of this poor bastard, for their loss with the death of their relative. The gist of the article is how outrageously the Administration acted in reaching this preposterous settlement. Not overtly mentioned is the fact that everyone in the story is Black. Victim, mayor, doctor, lawyers, you name it. All Black.

But for the moment, I focus on how (the fuck) anyone could even calculated "damages" in the case of someone who was nothing but a drain on everyone connected to him. He was a drain on his family, a drain on the government agencies, a drain on the police force, and so on. His death, financially speaking, was a net positive for all of them. And yet his demise is the occasion of enriching his lawyer and "family" to the tune of eight million dollars.

There are times when our tort system is the object of scorn and derision; this is one of them.

It's not called the "ghetto lottery" for nothing....

george floyd.jpg

The better question is why a family who allowed this person to be homeless and live on the streets is entitled to $8 million when he dies.
Because of the tort committed against an innocent person by an entity of the state. A human who lost his life and liberty at the hands of a madman.

Now, what is the value of a human being?

Because of the tort committed against an innocent person by an entity of the state. A human who lost his life and liberty at the hands of a madman.

Now, what is the value of a human being?
The life of a human being is incalculable.

I wonder if the family would give back all that lovely money to get the person they allowed to be homeless back alive and well?

I wonder if George Floyd's family would give back all the millions they got to get him back?

I am not defending the police in their treatment of the homeless person because I do not know what the actual circumstances were. They indeed may have acted wrongly. But when it becomes very lucrative to people to have their unwanted family members harmed, that does not seem to be much incentive for them to take care of those family members.

He took the bike for a ride. Should he have done that? No, but he stole nothing. The bike was sitting there in the owners front yard when the cops arrived. For this crime they tazed him 8-10 times (depending on which source you use)

In another thread it's argued that all is good if you return what you stole. Stole likely isn't even the right word. He took it for a little ride and then put it back.

For this horrendous (sarcasm) crime, multiple cops have to be called? For this you get tazed 8-10 times and are ignored when that tazing requires medical attention?

For some reason the police simply will not learn that a violent authoritarian force is not needed to address minor problems.

I wonder if the family would give back all that lovely money to get the person they allowed to be homeless back alive and well?

I wonder if George Floyd's family would give back all the millions they got to get him back?

I am not defending the police in their treatment of the homeless person because I do not know what the actual circumstances were. They indeed may have acted wrongly. But when it becomes very lucrative to people to have their unwanted family members harmed, that does not seem to be much incentive for them to take care of those family members.
Once they are gone no amount of money will bring them back.

How much money would it take for you to agree to allow the state to kill your dad? Brother? Son?

Give us a number.

How much money would it take for you to agree to allow the state to kill your dad? Brother? Son?

Give us a number.
And yet another 'woke' member of the forum completely ignores the content of my post and makes it into something entirely different. (I swear it must be something like something in the water they drink that makes them entirely dysfunctional when it comes to reading comprehension?)

And yet another 'woke' member of the forum completely ignores the content of my post and makes it into something entirely different. (I swear it must be something like something in the water they drink that makes them entirely dysfunctional when it comes to reading comprehension?)

"Context", LOL.

You simply refuse to answer my question.

I understand, these "people" are less than you.

Once they are gone no amount of money will bring them back.
That is true. But given George Floyd's violent criminal history and drug use, he most likely was a huge point of stress for the family unless they were of similar character. Is it an unfair question to ask if they would give back the $27 million if they could have him back as he was?

Jim Rogers, the focus of this thread, was homeless, living on the streets. How much could his family care about him since they allowed that situation? Isn't it a fair question to ask what damages to the family resulted from his death however wrongful that death might have been? Or if they all of a sudden value him enough to give back the money to have him back? Millions of dollars would be life changing for the family. Their attorney got a cool $2+ million of the settlement.

A death is always tragic. No price can be put on a human life's value but the law does that just the same. A man in his working prime is generally worth the most in court settlements, a woman in her working prime comes second, children third, old people the least in court settlements for wrongful death. Damages/loss to the family are the criteria for the amount.

Again I am in no way condoning what the police did. I wasn't there but media accounts do make it appear unnecessary force was applied though a grand jury failed to return an indictment when the case was heard there. If the police were in the wrong by all means they should be disciplined and properly punished.

But is paying restitution to a family who allowed him to live on the streets really justice? Does it give a family any more incentive to take care if their own who get in trouble?

Last edited:
That is true. But given George Floyd's violent criminal history and drug use, he most likely was a huge point of stress for the family unless they were of similar character. Is it an unfair question to ask if they would give back the $27 million if they could have him back as he was?

Jim Rogers, the focus of this thread, was homeless, living on the streets. How much could his family care about him since they allowed that situation? Isn't it a fair question to ask what damages to the family resulted from his death however wrongful that death might have been? Or if they all of a sudden value him enough to give back the money to have him back? Millions of dollars would be life changing for the family. Their attorney got a cool $2+ million of the settlement.

A death is always tragic. No price can be put on a human life's value but the law does that just the same. A man in his working prime is generally worth the most in court settlements, a woman in her working prime comes second, children third, old people the least in court settlements for wrongful death. Damages/loss to the family are the criteria for the amount.

Again I am in no way condoning what the police did. I wasn't there but media accounts do make it appear unnecessary force was applied though a grand jury failed to return an indictment when the case was heard there. If the police were in the wrong by all means they should be disciplined and properly punished.

But is paying restitution to a family who allowed him to live on the streets really justice? Does it give a family any more incentive to take care if their own who get in trouble?
We don't know the full story as to why he was living on the streets and it doesn't matter.

Forum List

Back