Why I no longer support the death penalty.

Is posthumous exoneration an oxymoron?
No. Just friggin sad. Kind of like, I am sad at troops that died in wars we do not have to fight, that went where sent, not in charge of what they were caught up in, or kids shot in the street while playing, from drive by bullets meant for adults or relatives, to settle a score that should have never had to be settled if the gang-bangers were not criminal lowlife, low self-control assholes, in a community that overlooks their actions as "just part of life in the hood", or the people killed by drunk drivers. These people struck down, of all ages, all backgrounds do not get a defense lawyer, an appeal, or clemency or any kind of second look before circumstance takes its toll. Life has many an unexpected, unexplainable twist and turns of fate and randomness, between parting the womb and being finally being laid to rest.

Most states have either abolished the Death Penalty or no longer enforce it.
Before he leaves office, Biden will commute the Death Sentences of Federal Prisoners so we don’t get a repeat of Trumps rush to execute.

Most civilized nations have abolished Capital Punishment with the US joined by China, India and the Islamic nations as the only ones to resort to executions

You left out Japan

Capital punishment in Japan - Wikipedia

And a few others, Taiwan, for example.

Russia has a moratorium, but those guys will find out a way to kill political opponents, something progressives here fondly wish they had the balls to do.

No. Just friggin sad. Kind of like, I am sad at troops that died in wars we do not have to fight, that went where sent, not in charge of what they were caught up in, or kids shot in the street while playing, from drive by bullets meant for adults or relatives, to settle a score that should have never had to be settled if the gang-bangers were not criminal lowlife, low self-control assholes, in a community that overlooks their actions as "just part of life in the hood", or the people killed by drunk drivers. These people struck down, of all ages, all backgrounds do not get a defense lawyer, an appeal, or clemency or any kind of second look before circumstance takes its toll. Life has many an unexpected, unexplainable twist and turns of fate and randomness, between parting the womb and being finally being laid to rest.
Whataboutism of people dying every day does nothing for your argument that mistakenly executing the railroaded innocent is acceptable.

Whataboutism of people dying every day does nothing for your argument that mistakenly executing the railroaded innocent is acceptable.
Not giving whataboutism. I just made peace with randomness over the years and refuse to bleed with everybody that bleeds for injustices, every time to the exclusion of belief that some people do not deserve to be maintained, and it would be best if some of the most evil were sent on their way, now, rather than keeping them as a burden on society. Being railroaded is uncommon, far less common than the mad dog, animal attacks of the definitively guilty.

183 death row prisoners that have been exonerated since the reinstatement in 1973 would probably disagree with you that being railroaded is uncommon. When the Governor says "We absolutely must solve this case." Someone will be found without an alibi to pin it on. Circumstantial evidence is ok when paired with real evidence. By itself, someone is getting railroaded.

Texas beats Japan in about a month
Even Russia does not execute its criminals
Bull. Russia will execute your ass whether you have been found guilty in court or not, no matter what country you are in or escape to.

Texas beats Japan in about a month
Even Russia does not execute its criminals

No, their political opponents just disappear into the nacht und nebel.

At least the Russians have something called a "work camp of strict regime." The gulags are still there, they just mostly have Ordinary Decent Criminals in them.

No, their political opponents just disappear into the nacht und nebel.

At least the Russians have something called a "work camp of strict regime." The gulags are still there, they just mostly have Ordinary Decent Criminals in them.

It is really sad when Russia can look down on us in terms of human rights

herefore, I no longer support capital punishment
Now we see how SOFT America has become.

It’s going to lead to a situation where vigilante justice becomes more prevalent because the LEGAL (not Justice) System isn’t doing the job in properly punishing criminals.

It’s going to lead to a situation where vigilante justice becomes more prevalent because the LEGAL (not Justice) System isn’t doing the job in properly punishing criminals.

Progressives keep forgetting that the purpose of a criminal justice system isn't to REMOVE vengeance from the equation, but to give the State the responsibility for implementing it.

Progressives keep forgetting that the purpose of a criminal justice system isn't to REMOVE vengeance from the equation, but to give the State the responsibility for implementing it.
Exactly. They forget that there’s no ability to appeal a .45 ACP to the head for trying to rob/assault my wife.

Exactly. They forget that there’s no ability to appeal a .45 ACP to the head for trying to rob/assault my wife.

They also forget that most crime is criminal on criminal, and that most criminals are pretty fucking stupid. Going soft on crime hurts the weaker disadvantaged far more than the affluent.

I don't believe in vigilante justice, but stand your ground and the castle doctrine suits me just fine, especially as long as the police are 5 minutes or more away and in some cities are not sworn to protect, anyway.

Only in the minds of progressives.

The Death Penalty is constitutional and a fitting punishment for the worst crimes.

I think that most of the world that has abandoned Capital Punishment looks down on our morals

1634331516763.png

Don't care.

I look down on their fecklessness and coddling of criminals.

It comes down to morality and an abandonment of eye for an eye justice

Most of the world looks at us and wonders
We used to brag about American Exceptionalism

It comes down to morality and an abandonment of eye for an eye justice

Most of the world looks at us and wonders
We used to brag about American Exceptionalism

And again, I don't care. It's amazing how much progressives relate to criminals instead of victims.

Amazing, but not surprising.

And again, I don't care. It's amazing how much progressives relate to criminals instead of victims.

Amazing, but not surprising.

Not really

We relate to doing the right thing. Executing prisoners is recognized as barbaric in most of the US and most of the world

Forum List

Back