Why hitting irons (in golf) is impossible

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
A golf club is a perverse tool indeed. Every other tool known to Man that is intended to hit things (e.g., hammers, axes, and the like) is designed with the striking surface directly in line with the shaft. This is true with hand tools and in sports, with the exception of hockey but in hockey you are not really striking the puck, you are pushing it with the blade.

With a golf club the ideal hitting surface is a few inches removed from the centerline of the shaft. Hence, if you have grown up learning how to hit, for example, baseballs, tennis balls, ping pong balls and such, your hand-eye coordination is geared to striking the object ball along the centerline of the tool. Not so with a golf club. You must - if you are an adult learning to play - UNLEARN what your brain has learned, in order to hit the golf ball in the proverbial "sweet spot" of the club.

Striking a golf ball that is sitting on the ground involves mastering two different arcs at the same time. You are swinging the club around your body so that the ball must be struck at the precise point where the tangent of the swing crosses the desired line of flight of the ball. A little before that perfect instant and the ball goes wildly right (for a right-hander) and a little after and the ball goes wildly left.

But you are also swinging from high (shoulder level) to low (ground level), and that tangent is even more demanding of precision than the horizontal arc. Because you must strike the ball on a slightly downward trajectory so that the club face strikes the ball first, then a microsecond later strikes the ground, usually taking out a "divot." Hence, the low point of the swing must be an inch or so IN FRONT OF the ball, If you don't do this perfectly, you will either strike the ball with the blade of the club and hit a "ground ball" or hit the ground immediately before the ball, thus losing all power and possibly direction as well, as the blade will often deflect when it strikes the ground. We call this "hitting it fat." It must be perfect.

Another factor that professional golfers and teaching pros NEVER mention is this: When you are standing properly at address (looking from behind), your arms drop vertically from your shoulders to the place where you grip the club, then the club angles over to the ball. Now imagine a line going directly from shoulder to ball. Now consider that when you actually strike the ball, that line is a straight line (your arms are aligned with the club, due to centrifugal force), 1-2 inches longer than it was at address. What happens with that extra 2 inches? There is no current explanation by golf pro's; in fact, many of them deny it even exists. (It is noteworthy that one golf professional (Bryson DeChambeau) is now conspicuously standing at address with arms directly in line with the club, thus eliminating that difference. Onlookers notice that he looks "different" when he stands over the ball, but most can't describe why).

In order to accomplish the nearly-impossible feat of striking the golf ball squarely, in the sweet spot of the club, the body must be totally still, and rotate through the process (picture yourself standing in an imaginary cylinder). If there is any shifting from back to front (the natural tendency), that totally destroys the required geometric relationships, although it must be said that many golfers have, through long years of practice, taught themselves to shift back and forth, hitting the ball at precisely the moment when they are back where they started.

Finally, the distance between the golfer and the ball changes with every club, because the sole (bottom) of the club is intended to force a plane of the swing that results in the club face being perfectly aligned with the target, and the bottom of the club perfectly parallel with the ground. If it's not, then either the heel or the toe of the club will strike the ground immediately before contact with the ball, thus causing the club to twist in the golfer's hands and diverting the shot, sometimes with disastrous results. You must stand closer to the ball with more lofted clubs and farther away with the longer ones). But golf pro's, again, deny that a different swing is required for every club - even though it's true - because if they admitted that, then most students would simply walk out and quit the game.

One more factor should be mentioned here: Muscle Memory. It is a concept that consumes instructors in many sports because it is so vital to success. It is necessary in golf (and in other sports) to execute shots exactly the same way, every time. You must be able to repeat a motion over and over again without deviation. This can only be done through the magic of muscle memory. Once you have muscle memory in golf, for example, then you can stop thinking about your swing while you are hitting the ball, and think about things like trajectory, shaping the shot, taking off a little distance and so on. If you are thinking about your swing while you are hitting the ball, you are a lost cause. It ain't gonna happen.

But the sad thing about muscle memory is that there is a finite window of time when it can occur. After age 18, you can forget about it. It doesn't happen. A 25-year-old person can hit a million golf shots and there MIGHT be a bit of improvement over time, but s/he will never get to the point where the swing happens naturally. The horse is gone from the barn and won't come back.

This is why it is not uncommon for someone who, say, played golf on their high school team, to abandon the sport for thirty years, then start again and within a couple weeks be as good as they were in high school. They developed that muscle memory and it remains until a person is physically impaired by age or injury. It is also why good athletes who take up golf as an adult never really get good at it. You can practice until your hands bleed, but you will never get the necessary muscle memory to start playing strategically, like the pro's do.

Everyone who tries can hit the occasional good iron shot in golf. I posted last week that I had my first hole in one, after 20 years of playing. But that wasn't because I have "mastered" the golf swing; it was just a million-to-one lucky shot with no real meaning.

For an adult learning to play golf, you will never be good at hitting irons. Deal with it.

The golf swing is probably the most complex movement in sports. On top of the mechanical complexity, you have to be relaxed. When I look down a range, maybe one guy in 10 has a "decent" swing and consistently hits the ball near the center of the club face. The other 9 have a death grip on the club and jerk down and then pull up and away from the ball.

The golf swing is probably the most complex movement in sports. On top of the mechanical complexity, you have to be relaxed. When I look down a range, maybe one guy in 10 has a "decent" swing and consistently hits the ball near the center of the club face. The other 9 have a death grip on the club and jerk down and then pull up and away from the ball.
The guy who teaches the swing in the video I posted has removed several of the moving parts from the swing, and you'll hit the ball just as well.

It's a lot easier on the body too.

The devil is you only get four shots to put the ball into a little hole from a quarter mile away ...

M'Mike is spot-on ... being good at golf is very difficult ... I have to aim 30º to the left just to keep the ball in the fairway ... lucky for me, the woods along side are pretty and very interesting to explore ... every shot brings new forestry surprises ...

A golf club is a perverse tool indeed. Every other tool known to Man that is intended to hit things (e.g., hammers, axes, and the like) is designed with the striking surface directly in line with the shaft. This is true with hand tools and in sports, with the exception of hockey but in hockey you are not really striking the puck, you are pushing it with the blade.

With a golf club the ideal hitting surface is a few inches removed from the centerline of the shaft. Hence, if you have grown up learning how to hit, for example, baseballs, tennis balls, ping pong balls and such, your hand-eye coordination is geared to striking the object ball along the centerline of the tool. Not so with a golf club. You must - if you are an adult learning to play - UNLEARN what your brain has learned, in order to hit the golf ball in the proverbial "sweet spot" of the club.

Striking a golf ball that is sitting on the ground involves mastering two different arcs at the same time. You are swinging the club around your body so that the ball must be struck at the precise point where the tangent of the swing crosses the desired line of flight of the ball. A little before that perfect instant and the ball goes wildly right (for a right-hander) and a little after and the ball goes wildly left.

But you are also swinging from high (shoulder level) to low (ground level), and that tangent is even more demanding of precision than the horizontal arc. Because you must strike the ball on a slightly downward trajectory so that the club face strikes the ball first, then a microsecond later strikes the ground, usually taking out a "divot." Hence, the low point of the swing must be an inch or so IN FRONT OF the ball, If you don't do this perfectly, you will either strike the ball with the blade of the club and hit a "ground ball" or hit the ground immediately before the ball, thus losing all power and possibly direction as well, as the blade will often deflect when it strikes the ground. We call this "hitting it fat." It must be perfect.

Another factor that professional golfers and teaching pros NEVER mention is this: When you are standing properly at address (looking from behind), your arms drop vertically from your shoulders to the place where you grip the club, then the club angles over to the ball. Now imagine a line going directly from shoulder to ball. Now consider that when you actually strike the ball, that line is a straight line (your arms are aligned with the club, due to centrifugal force), 1-2 inches longer than it was at address. What happens with that extra 2 inches? There is no current explanation by golf pro's; in fact, many of them deny it even exists. (It is noteworthy that one golf professional (Bryson DeChambeau) is now conspicuously standing at address with arms directly in line with the club, thus eliminating that difference. Onlookers notice that he looks "different" when he stands over the ball, but most can't describe why).

In order to accomplish the nearly-impossible feat of striking the golf ball squarely, in the sweet spot of the club, the body must be totally still, and rotate through the process (picture yourself standing in an imaginary cylinder). If there is any shifting from back to front (the natural tendency), that totally destroys the required geometric relationships, although it must be said that many golfers have, through long years of practice, taught themselves to shift back and forth, hitting the ball at precisely the moment when they are back where they started.

Finally, the distance between the golfer and the ball changes with every club, because the sole (bottom) of the club is intended to force a plane of the swing that results in the club face being perfectly aligned with the target, and the bottom of the club perfectly parallel with the ground. If it's not, then either the heel or the toe of the club will strike the ground immediately before contact with the ball, thus causing the club to twist in the golfer's hands and diverting the shot, sometimes with disastrous results. You must stand closer to the ball with more lofted clubs and farther away with the longer ones). But golf pro's, again, deny that a different swing is required for every club - even though it's true - because if they admitted that, then most students would simply walk out and quit the game.

One more factor should be mentioned here: Muscle Memory. It is a concept that consumes instructors in many sports because it is so vital to success. It is necessary in golf (and in other sports) to execute shots exactly the same way, every time. You must be able to repeat a motion over and over again without deviation. This can only be done through the magic of muscle memory. Once you have muscle memory in golf, for example, then you can stop thinking about your swing while you are hitting the ball, and think about things like trajectory, shaping the shot, taking off a little distance and so on. If you are thinking about your swing while you are hitting the ball, you are a lost cause. It ain't gonna happen.

But the sad thing about muscle memory is that there is a finite window of time when it can occur. After age 18, you can forget about it. It doesn't happen. A 25-year-old person can hit a million golf shots and there MIGHT be a bit of improvement over time, but s/he will never get to the point where the swing happens naturally. The horse is gone from the barn and won't come back.

This is why it is not uncommon for someone who, say, played golf on their high school team, to abandon the sport for thirty years, then start again and within a couple weeks be as good as they were in high school. They developed that muscle memory and it remains until a person is physically impaired by age or injury. It is also why good athletes who take up golf as an adult never really get good at it. You can practice until your hands bleed, but you will never get the necessary muscle memory to start playing strategically, like the pro's do.

Everyone who tries can hit the occasional good iron shot in golf. I posted last week that I had my first hole in one, after 20 years of playing. But that wasn't because I have "mastered" the golf swing; it was just a million-to-one lucky shot with no real meaning.

For an adult learning to play golf, you will never be good at hitting irons. Deal with it.

I disagree. I studdied the Mad Mexican. Anyone that is an avid Golfer will know who that is. I copied his stance, his swing and I was much better with Irons than I was woods. Lee Trevino once was quoted as saying, "Only God can hit a 1 iron successfully". Trevino carried a 1 iron in his bag and he WAS God. Since I was a mere Mortal, I used a 2 iron in the place of a 2 through 4 wood. I had more control and slightly better distance. Thank you SuperMex for your wonderful decades to us mere mortals.

I gave up golfing when I threw my shoulder out. I used the excuse that I didn't see any reason to go out and hunt golf eggs. Besides, when you try and boil them up, they throw rubber bands all over the place and you can't eat the plastic shells.

I disagree. I studdied the Mad Mexican. Anyone that is an avid Golfer will know who that is. I copied his stance, his swing and I was much better with Irons than I was woods. Lee Trevino once was quoted as saying, "Only God can hit a 1 iron successfully". Trevino carried a 1 iron in his bag and he WAS God. Since I was a mere Mortal, I used a 2 iron in the place of a 2 through 4 wood. I had more control and slightly better distance. Thank you SuperMex for your wonderful decades to us mere mortals.

I gave up golfing when I threw my shoulder out. I used the excuse that I didn't see any reason to go out and hunt golf eggs. Besides, when you try and boil them up, they throw rubber bands all over the place and you can't eat the plastic shells.
Trevino's swing is one I always try to think of because he was so great at swinging down the target line. I saw him play at the PGA in Congressional back in the 70s. I remember one really narrow par 4. He walked up, threw a ball on the grass, no tee. Took out a long iron probably a 2 iron, stepped up one waggle and CRACK! The ball sounded like a rifle shot and it was the straightest ball I've ever seen. It never got higher than 20 feet. Everyone was just looking at each other shaking their heads.

I had great luck with my 1-iron ... my drive would slice into the woods, low canopy ... the 1-iron was GREAT for pitching back onto the fairway ... low trajectory to keep the branches from knocking down the ball ... just 10 or 15 yards is all you need ...

Shot a 79 today on a course with a 133 slope rating. My index dropped from a 13 to an 8 this year.

Trevino's swing is one I always try to think of because he was so great at swinging down the target line. I saw him play at the PGA in Congressional back in the 70s. I remember one really narrow par 4. He walked up, threw a ball on the grass, no tee. Took out a long iron probably a 2 iron, stepped up one waggle and CRACK! The ball sounded like a rifle shot and it was the straightest ball I've ever seen. It never got higher than 20 feet. Everyone was just looking at each other shaking their heads.

That stance and swing, you had to be very careful with. Trevino, like me, has more in common with a Primate in arms length compared to height. The swing felt natural, fluid and was consistent. With an Iron, it went where you aimed it because you were aiming your body, not your club. There was more power in the swing. When I picked an iron, I would always use at least one higher number than everyone else. Sometimes 2. Because of the stance, you could put some muscle into it and get some remarkable distance. My 2 iron was good for at least 250 yds. This was from a time that most had trouble hitting 250 yds with a 1 wood. One day, I wasn't paying attention and hit a 9 iron shot clean off the course. That sucker climbed, and climbed and we never did find it. I remember one time Trevino said that he was going to play for a Charity Tournament and use nothing but a 2 iron. He teed off without the Tees and even used it to putt with. There were Amatuers and Pros in that tournament. Trevino won it with just his 2 iron.

And explanation may be in order. How good was I when I was in practice and 30 years younger? My handicap was 6.

I had great luck with my 1-iron ... my drive would slice into the woods, low canopy ... the 1-iron was GREAT for pitching back onto the fairway ... low trajectory to keep the branches from knocking down the ball ... just 10 or 15 yards is all you need ...

For that same shot, would probably choose a 4 iron. Never used a 1 iron. With my power, I imagine I would be hitting low flying aircraft of bouncing them down some distant freeway. It was hard enough controlling the 2 iron.

Some of the most interesting pro's (and hackers) are the ones who taught themselves how to golf, with Trevino being in the top tier. Bubba Watson and Jim Furyk also come to mind, but the all-time best example is Moe Norman, who shows how to thumb your nose totally at conventional golf instruction and still hit the ball straight. DeChambeau is similar to Moe Norman...on steroids.

I have also "discovered" the guy in the videos above, (Saguto?) and he talks a good game. I think his Swing-Thoughts are quite insightful and valuable.

Continuing my earlier rant, one of the most discouraging things in my golf life (ages 50-70, so far) is the shock that I feel when I see a video of myself swinging the club. I look NOTHING like the picture I have in my brain, with two or three MAJOR flaws that are so obvious that a self-imposed Dope Slap is in order. And yet, when I consider the crappy swing that the images reveal and try to correct them myself, the results are usually a month of elevated scores, followed up by a promise never to do that again (video myself), which I will break in about a year.

I'm getting very good at hitting my irons, and I started with a new swing from scratch only last June.

Nice! Are you doing what this guy says or are you going single plane like Dechambeau? Just curious.

I'm using this method....Not great by any stretch, though my well struck shot rate has about doubled.

I'm getting very good at hitting my irons, and I started with a new swing from scratch only last June.

Nice! Are you doing what this guy says or are you going single plane like Dechambeau? Just curious.

I'm using this method....Not great by any stretch, though my well struck shot rate has about doubled.

That's excellent. My whole focus for the last year is to forget about score and focus on quality ball striking. It's starting to work, I'm hitting most of the greens and nearly all of the fairways now.

When I came to a water Hazard, I always toss at least one brand new ball into it. Afterall, you had to feed the Water God one way or another.
LOL interesting strategy....
When I came to a water Hazard, I always toss at least one brand new ball into it. Afterall, you had to feed the Water God one way or another.
LOL interesting strategy....

I could birdie and eagle every hole but get me anywhere near a water hazard and my balls went swimming. I had the only balls that had scuba gear.

Forum List

Back