Why Haven't Obama's Policies Helped The Economy?

Why? My Opinion is that he hired a bunch of academics to get ideas from instead of listening to people who work in business. In theory (get it ;)) this is a fine idea and could work but in reality it didn't work.

On top of this, after these advisors' ideas have been showed to fail in other countries and are now failing in our country Obama, through his new jobs plan, wants to double down on the same "solutions" we have been using for over 2 years now with no success.

This video explains it so perfectly.

I Don't Understand with Obama - YouTube
His policies are working !!! Its Americans that are not.

Why? My Opinion is that he hired a bunch of academics to get ideas from instead of listening to people who work in business. In theory (get it ;)) this is a fine idea and could work but in reality it didn't work.

On top of this, after these advisors' ideas have been showed to fail in other countries and are now failing in our country Obama, through his new jobs plan, wants to double down on the same "solutions" we have been using for over 2 years now with no success.

His policies are working !!! Its Americans that are not.

True.

Hence the pickle. :eusa_shhh:

Without the stimulus the bad companies would fail, new companies would prosper, and unemployment would have been under 8% like Obama's advisor said the stimulus would make it.

Doubtful. Without the stimulus, unemployment would likely be 12-13% right now (if not higher).

Neither one of us can prove either one of those claims now can we?

;)

And that was my point with my other post, I wanted you to call me out about not being able to prove it even though you didn't effectivily diminishing your first post claiming that without the stimulus it would be worse....you really can't prove that.

You can only prove that under the stimulus the unemployment is at 9% and GDP is hovering at, or just below, 1% growth.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

World Bank, World Development Indicators - Google Public Data Explorer

We can however see that the official unemployment rate is stuck at something over 9 percent with the actual unemployment rate set at something around 16 percent. Even if you buy the Obama Administrations bullsh. . . . .I mean estimate that the stimulus created or saved 3 million jobs, that wouldn't keep up with population growth, much less cut into those already unemployed. Between January 2009 and August 2012, we added more than 4 million highschool and college grads alone to the work force. And if we buy that 3 million figure, it comes with a price tag of $266,000 per job.

Taxing or borrowing $266,000 to create a government job takes an equal amount out of the private sector that is then not available for private sector salaries. It is the most inefficient, ineffective, and expensive way to put people to work.

At least folks are finally seeing the light:

Jobs Bill Skepticism

By a margin of 51 percent to 40 percent, Americans doubt the package of tax cuts and spending proposals intended to jumpstart job creation that Obama submitted to Congress this week will bring down the 9.1 percent jobless rate. That sentiment undermines one of the core arguments the president is making on the job act’s behalf in a nationwide campaign to build public support.

Compounding Obama’s challenge is that 56 percent of independents, whom the president won in 2008 and will need to win in 2012, are skeptical it will work.

Obama Approval Plummets Among Americans Skeptical of Jobs Plan - Bloomberg

They have. Without the stimulus we would have gone into a depression...just ask the majority of economists.

It wasn't that long ago. Surely y'all DO remember that we were losing 700,000 jobs a month when he took office.

How much of the current job numbers have to do with Republicans cutting government jobs?

The 2008 meltdown created a three trillion dollar hole in the economy. Obama tried plugging it with a less than one trillion stimulus. We're also facing massive unemployment, something that's a legacy of the 2008 meltdown and that can't really be blamed on Obama. We're also facing a consumer strike, as consumers (consumer spending is 70% of GDP) cut spending as their equity (house, stockls) is shot to bits and they don't know if they'll be in employment next month.

So there's really not a lot he can do. Further stimulus is off the table due to the GOP, consumers aren't going to feel like spending until they've reduced their debt and feel secure in their jobs and the economy in general. It's going to take a long time for things to get better, and it doesn't look like they will anytime soon.

There's actually a lot he can do, Raoul but it's all counter to his core belief that more government is the answer to every problem. Instead of spending another half a trillion dollars on a stimulus that won't work any better than the first stimulus...how about if he did these three simple things...repatriate corporate profits earned overseas by not taxing those profits if they use that capital to either hire new employees or buy new equipment made here in the US...announce a two year moratorium on all new regulations...and reform the tax code so loopholes are taken out but the overall rates are lowered. Doing those three things will interject over a trillion dollars in additional investment capital to the US that would have been spent elsewhere...allay business uncertainty about looming regulations and make our tax structure less punitive to small businesses.

That's what he should do, Raoul. All of those things wouldn't cost us any money at all...yet would actually boost job creation in the Private Sector, which will in turn boost the revenues that make it possible to pay for jobs in the Public Sector. I won't hold my breath though because the progressives now running the country are intent on having us relive the Great Depression just so Barack can play FDR.

Last edited:

Presidents should be doing what they are elected to do, not worry about the economy. Wall Street has won.:(

They have. Without the stimulus we would have gone into a depression...just ask the majority of economists.

It wasn't that long ago. Surely y'all DO remember that we were losing 700,000 jobs a month when he took office.

How much of the current job numbers have to do with Republicans cutting government jobs?

Government jobs are going to be cut REGARDLESS of who's running the various State Houses, Seawytch. They should have been cut two years ago but we decided to prop up the Public Sector with borrowed money while leaving the Private Sector turning in the wind. The Federal Government, State Governments, County Governments, City Governments...they were all bloated. They all needed to be brought back to a sane level. Instead of doing that however we took on huge amounts of debt to keep an inefficient system doing business as usual.

As for what kept us out of a depression? That would be TARP.

The policys have failed because they were not targeted properly. Starting road and bridge construction (a seasonal job) ate not jobs that stimulate. Financing a green energy market that doesn't exisit also is not the answer.

You give $500m to a solar cell company that folds in 6 months ... Did anyone ask if there was a market for American made solar cells?

You give that same $500m to Sam Walton (walmart fame) and he spends it (quickly) buying land, hiring constuction workers, plubers, electricians, (all those people buy steel, concrete, tile, tubing and wiring putting more industries to work) he then hires staff to run the store hiring mire then 100 local workers in ongoing employment, as well as the makers of the things that go into the store (hardware, clothes, electronics ... All these things must be made as well, creating jobs in those industries) he continues to hire truck drivers to transport the supplies to keep the store going and this doesn't include the groceries and it's effect in the farming community

how many stores can Walmart open for $500m? I'm thinking one store effects more then 10,000 people finacially on the good side. He employs all these people and gives contracts to these other contractors to make, stock and re-supply his store ....

If the big crime there is that Sam gets to make a little profit after hiring and employing that many people .... Well ... Those that believe that need to get a dose of reality.

And another thing .... Walmarts don't close after 6 months

How you fix the economy is to PUT MONEY IN THE HANDS OF THOSE THAT HIRE .... People don't make it big by banking their money, they make it big by putting the money they make to work

The policys have failed because they were not targeted properly. Starting road and bridge construction (a seasonal job) ate not jobs that stimulate. Financing a green energy market that doesn't exisit also is not the answer.

You give $500m to a solar cell company that folds in 6 months ... Did anyone ask if there was a market for American made solar cells?

You give that same $500m to Sam Walton (walmart fame) and he spends it (quickly) buying land, hiring constuction workers, plubers, electricians, (all those people buy steel, concrete, tile, tubing and wiring putting more industries to work) he then hires staff to run the store hiring mire then 100 local workers in ongoing employment, as well as the makers of the things that go into the store (hardware, clothes, electronics ... All these things must be made as well, creating jobs in those industries) he continues to hire truck drivers to transport the supplies to keep the store going and this doesn't include the groceries and it's effect in the farming community

how many stores can Walmart open for $500m? I'm thinking one store effects more then 10,000 people finacially on the good side. He employs all these people and gives contracts to these other contractors to make, stock and re-supply his store ....

If the big crime there is that Sam gets to make a little profit after hiring and employing that many people .... Well ... Those that believe that need to get a dose of reality.

And another thing .... Walmarts don't close after 6 months

How you fix the economy is to PUT MONEY IN THE HANDS OF THOSE THAT HIRE .... People don't make it big by banking their money, they make it big by putting the money they make to work
Understatement. The funds went to pay off cronies and Unions for getting the creep into office.

The housing collapse was not the banking industries fault. The banks have always used a tried and true formula on who it give morgage loans to (monthy income = morgage payment x 4) if you didn't make enough for the $125k home, they would say 'No, sorry ... Try looking at $80k homes"

Then the government steps in a says "that's not fair, make it monthly income = morgage payment x 2.5 so more can aford to buy homes"

It sounds so wonderful ... Until reality strikes and these people can't afford their homes and start defaulting. Are libs the only ones that didn't see this coming? The formula was "x4" for a reason ... So that during hard finacial times a person could still make that payment. Let's the banks do what the banks do (I know it's not a popular feeling ... But it's true and people need to get over it if the poor can't aford a house until they get out of the 'poor' catagory)

Forum List

Back