Why doesn't the legislature just make a law?? No nomination of a supreme court justice in an election year.

They should just make it a law!!

But they won't. For one, there is no political will to do so. Secondly, ordinary law does not trump the Constitution, and that's why ordinary laws cannot curtail exercises of Constitutional power by Congress.

That said, McConnell has already indicated that, while having blocked Garland following an entirely made-up "rule", he'll confirm any nominee he likes at any time in the calendar, and that includes five minutes before a Senate's term ends. I think, while in 99% of what he's saying you should assume he's lying, you can trust him on that.

As the public discussion turns to Justice Antonin Scalia’s replacement, you’re likely to hear these words surface: the “Thurmond Rule.”

The Thurmond Rule — an unwritten rule, not legally binding — holds that a judicial nominee should not be confirmed in the months leading up to an election. It has its origins in June 1968, when Senator Strom Thurmond, Republican of South Carolina, blocked President Lyndon B. Johnson’s appointment of Justice Abe Fortas as chief justice.

What Is the ‘Thurmond Rule’?

and heres Biden in 1992 voicing concerns that the election (although none existed at the time) that the Potus should not put a supreme court up to nomination in June till after the election.

--------------------------------

supreme court justices should be 10 year terms and then they are out of there and whoever is president at the time picks a new one.......

Perhaps when the Dems are in majority of the Senate and House they will make it a law.
I doubt trump will sign it

I’d rather see a law preventing ex-members of congress and retired military officers from being lobbyists in washington dc or representing any foreign country in any capacity

As the public discussion turns to Justice Antonin Scalia’s replacement, you’re likely to hear these words surface: the “Thurmond Rule.”

The Thurmond Rule — an unwritten rule, not legally binding — holds that a judicial nominee should not be confirmed in the months leading up to an election. It has its origins in June 1968, when Senator Strom Thurmond, Republican of South Carolina, blocked President Lyndon B. Johnson’s appointment of Justice Abe Fortas as chief justice.

and heres Biden in 1992 voicing concerns that the election (although none existed at the time) that the Potus should not put a supreme court up to nomination in June till after the election.

Maybe. It would clear things up.

The problem is that when The Turtle invoked the Biden Rule in the case of Judge Garland, he took a lot of heat. If Ginsburg were to quit now, or one of the other justices, McConnell has learned his lesson and will move it forward

Are you saying McConnell will move to make a law?

supreme court justices should be 10 year terms and then they are out of there and whoever is president at the time picks a new one.......

I agree, not for a lifetime.

Not McConnell. He just learned his lesson, and recognizes that it isn't a law. And if there was a Supreme vacancy this year- he would just plow forward with the nomination , election be dammed.

Why put up with a replay of the Garland hassle where he was criticized roundly for his fealty to the Biden Rule?

Not McConnell. He just learned his lesson, and recognizes that it isn't a law. And if there was a Supreme vacancy this year- he would just plow forward with the nomination , election be dammed.

Why put up with a replay of the Garland hassle where he was criticized roundly for his fealty to the Biden Rule?

It is not an actual rule, which means there is no way to adjudicate how close to an election it applies, or whether it applies at all. In June 2012, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, a Republican and the majority leader, invoked it to block President Obama’s nominations to circuit courts. In December 2015, Senator Patrick Leahy, Democrat of Vermont, argued that the rule was invalid.
--------------------------
only a republican blocked a nominee to the supreme court. I think he will try again, but he won't succeed.

Well, Mitch thought it was worth denying Obama his appointee. But my guess is that will change if they have to fill a vacancy by January, 2021. It's all about consolidating and keeping power. Republicans know that demographics are slowly pushing their ideology and belief system into to the minority. What better way to insure that even when the old guard dies off, they'll have a stable of younger judicial appointees making sure that decisions are handed down for the next 35 years that favor their ideology and belief system. That goes for the SC and the lower courts as well.

You bet your ass that is the case.

Nobody, but nobody thinks that you clowns would have done anything different if you owned the senate.

Elections have consequences.

When you own the senate, you'll screw over the country like you always have.

Perhaps when the Dems are in majority of the Senate and House they will make it a law.

I’d rather see a law preventing ex-members of congress and retired military officers from being lobbyists in washington dc or representing any foreign country in any capacity

The problem is that when The Turtle invoked the Biden Rule in the case of Judge Garland, he took a lot of heat. If Ginsburg were to quit now, or one of the other justices, McConnell has learned his lesson and will move it forward

Ok

ignore my suggestion now

so that later on you can claim it is really your idea

but since members of congress in both parties are corrupt, and the next democrat in the white hose will surely be a fool, it will take a bipartisan effort from below to force change

They can try.

Worried old Ruth won't make it.

If she dies and Trump does NOT appoint someone, I'll be PISSED.

They can try.

Worried old Ruth won't make it.

If she dies and Trump does NOT appoint someone, I'll be PISSED.

Merrick Garland, McConnell will try but he won't succeed. No I'm not worried Judge Ginsburg won't make it, she will hold out until the election.

Ok

ignore my suggestion now

but since members of congress in both parties are corrupt, and the next democrat in the white hose will surely be a fool, it will take a bipartisan effort from below to force change

I didn't ignore you suggestion and I quite agree with it about lobbyists. The Dems are less corrupt than the republicans.

It would have to get through the president first, and no president is going to agree to give up the opportunity to place a justice on the SC.

Ok

ignore my suggestion now

I didn't ignore you suggestion and I quite agree with it about lobbyists. The Dems are less corrupt than the republicans.

Penelope says:

The Dems are less corrupt than the republicans.

Besides showing full on partisan stupidity, it appears to be the article of faith that allows people to justify voting for the rancid tomato they will put at the top of the ticket. Knowing full good and well that it will turn over control to a VP who will be under the thumb of Nancy Pelosi.

Fucking hilarious.

I agree, not for a lifetime.

as far as i am concerned ginsberg should be told to retire.....she looks terrible....let her enjoy what days she has left....

Ok

ignore my suggestion now

Penelope says:

Besides showing full on partisan stupidity, it appears to be the article of faith that allows people to justify voting for the rancid tomato they will put at the top of the ticket. Knowing full good and well that it will turn over control to a VP who will be under the thumb of Nancy Pelosi.

Fucking hilarious.

"We will," said Sen. John Thune of South Dakota, the second-ranking Republican leader, when asked if the Senate would fill a vacancy, even during the lame-duck session after the presidential election. "That would be part of this year. We would move on it."

Thune's comments appear to break sharply with his comments in 2016, when then-President Barack Obama nominated Judge Merrick Garland to fill the seat of the late Justice Antonin Scalia.

See, I just proved the republicans are more corrupt than the democrats.

Ok

ignore my suggestion now

Penelope says:

Fucking hilarious.

"We will," said Sen. John Thune of South Dakota, the second-ranking Republican leader, when asked if the Senate would fill a vacancy, even during the lame-duck session after the presidential election. "That would be part of this year. We would move on it."

Thune's comments appear to break sharply with his comments in 2016, when then-President Barack Obama nominated Judge Merrick Garland to fill the seat of the late Justice Antonin Scalia.

If you will remember all of the crapola that the Senate got for sitting on the Garland nomination in 2016 after Scalia was whacked- McConnell et al sure the hell don't want to go through that in 2020.

BTW, had Mrs. Clinton won the election in 2016, Garland would have probably be confirmed by Thanksgiving.

Ok

ignore my suggestion now

Penelope says:

Fucking hilarious.

I dont know what you are worried about

2 1/2 out of three republican judges nominated turn out flaming activist libs anyway

Forum List

Back