Why do you lean politically the way you do?

I have been on this board for a while now and I am just curious why people lean a certain way?

For me: I live in Brookline (essentially Boston) MA, a large Jewish community, pretty close to Fenway and the easily accessible to downtown Boston. I am a father of two kids (11 and 13) both girls. I run a decent sized financial advisory services business. Born in Oct. 1980, I am old, tired and live for my wife and kids. I have always been an independent but a young college kid in NC, I leaned very left and in my fist eligible election, I voted for the inventor of the Internet, Al Gore. He lost. I then voted for John Kerry, he lost. I then voted for John McCAin, not because I didn't like BHO but because I will always vote for a veteran over a non-vet, McCain lost. See the pattern...in the 2012 election I was on the fence but by then I was a father a didn't like BHO's spending so I voted for Romney (he lost). I never got involved in local politics but I did vote against Liz Warren. My parents, Jewish immigrants from the old Soviet Union, who came here in the mid 70s we always staunch Democrats. Ted Kennedy made it possible for them to come here an voted strictly Democrat until 2016 when they completely switched to the GOP and voted for Trump citing the Left's overt anti Israel views.

I voted for Trump in 2016 as I just needed something other than HRC's nagging voice and lies. You don't accidentally bleach a server and smash blackberries and ipads. Story is true:

Also, I had and still have a client who does bleach servers and such for companies and I knew how intricate the process was. Now my kids are growing up and being told they have white privilege. Told they have racial bias. Told they need to use gender neutral pronouns. Told that trans girls may compete in sports against them. Of course that made me lose my mind a bit (as you can gather from my many posts on USMB). That being said I remain an Independent. I am not overly religious, although I will defend the Jewish faith, culture and support of Israel very strongly. Why? I owe it to my ancestors who died in the Holocaust and fighting the Nazis. My dad lost his entire family sans one sister and my mom was a bit luckier but still lost about 90%. I now see how much impact we can have in Town Elections if we band together, hence I appreciate small Gov't over large Gov't. I do like and appreciate programs that help the unfortunate and I believe our healthcare program is super inefficient and costly. The Democrats at least try to attack it. That being said, more and more I find myself on the same page as the GOP sans the need for endless wars. I like small gov't fiscal policies, strong military, strong border security, America first rhetoric, pro more vs. less policing (reform is necessary), pro Israel and pro freedom of speech. But I remain an Independent and not at service to any party.

My perfect 2024 ticket would be Dan Crenshaw/Tulsi Gabbard. Both served in the military, very bright, fairly young, energetic, and not divisive in my view.

Which way do you lean and why? What is your story?

Please share only if you're comfortable.

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Dude! You are fricken 40, probably 41 on next birthday. You ain't old and if tired, you got a medical problem. Go Independent. You don't need a party, as it carries long term party agenda. Pendular motion is natural motion and inherently conservative in nature.

I am an independent and well compared to you I am young but my kids remind me how old I am daily. :)

Figured. Don't listen to them. More and more you will realize youth is largely wasted on on the young. You've just gotten to the point of being good at it, most of them aren't.

I laugh. It’s in good fun.

To me, abortion will always be the worst form of murder because its the doing away of a life before it can even truly get started.

Being in a sexual same gender relationship only makes the Lord look like he wasted his time creating two genders and not just one.

The transgender lifestyle only makes the Lord look like he made a mistake in the way that a person was created.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I have been on this board for a while now and I am just curious why people lean a certain way?

For me: I live in Brookline (essentially Boston) MA, a large Jewish community, pretty close to Fenway and the easily accessible to downtown Boston. I am a father of two kids (11 and 13) both girls. I run a decent sized financial advisory services business. Born in Oct. 1980, I am old, tired and live for my wife and kids. I have always been an independent but a young college kid in NC, I leaned very left and in my fist eligible election, I voted for the inventor of the Internet, Al Gore. He lost. I then voted for John Kerry, he lost. I then voted for John McCAin, not because I didn't like BHO but because I will always vote for a veteran over a non-vet, McCain lost. See the pattern...in the 2012 election I was on the fence but by then I was a father a didn't like BHO's spending so I voted for Romney (he lost). I never got involved in local politics but I did vote against Liz Warren. My parents, Jewish immigrants from the old Soviet Union, who came here in the mid 70s were always staunch Democrats. Ted Kennedy made it possible for them to come here an voted strictly Democrat until 2016 when they completely switched to the GOP and voted for Trump citing the Left's overt anti Israel views.

I voted for Trump in 2016 as I just needed something other than HRC's nagging voice and lies. You don't accidentally bleach a server and smash blackberries and ipads. Story is true:

Also, I had and still have a client who does bleach servers and such for companies and I knew how intricate the process was. Now my kids are growing up and being told they have white privilege. Told they have racial bias. Told they need to use gender neutral pronouns. Told that trans girls may compete in sports against them. Of course that made me lose my mind a bit (as you can gather from my many posts on USMB). That being said I remain an Independent. I am not overly religious, although I will defend the Jewish faith, culture and support of Israel very strongly. Why? I owe it to my ancestors who died in the Holocaust and fighting the Nazis. My dad lost his entire family sans one sister and my mom was a bit luckier but still lost about 90%. I now see how much impact we can have in Town Elections if we band together, hence I appreciate small Gov't over large Gov't. I do like and appreciate programs that help the unfortunate and I believe our healthcare program is super inefficient and costly. The Democrats at least try to attack it. That being said, more and more I find myself on the same page as the GOP sans the need for endless wars. I like small gov't fiscal policies, strong military, strong border security, America first rhetoric, pro more vs. less policing (reform is necessary), pro Israel and pro freedom of speech. But I remain an Independent and not at service to any party.

My perfect 2024 ticket would be Dan Crenshaw/Tulsi Gabbard. Both served in the military, very bright, fairly young, energetic, and not divisive in my view.

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

I was a juvenile delinquent and a thug. I wanted what I wanted and didn't care about ANYONE else. After 5 years locked up my life needed a new direction. I got involved with a church group and worked for a guy that listened to Limbaugh every day.
While I have strayed away from my once firm religious beliefs I have remained consistent on my belief in myself and my ability to determine my own future through self reliance.

Had a liberal mother and a conservative father. Grew up being a liberal democrat up until the end of college. My politics became more centrist. As I got older, I found more in common with the Blue Dog coalition than progressive idealism. I applauded Bill Clinton for campaigning as a “New Democrat” and appreciated Sen Zell Miller for not marching in lockstep with his party. My politics are difficult to label because I still hold some positions that could be considered “liberal”.

For me: I live in Brookline (essentially Boston) MA, a large Jewish community, pretty close to Fenway and the easily accessible to downtown Boston. I am a father of two kids (11 and 13) both girls. I run a decent sized financial advisory services business. Born in Oct. 1980, I am old, tired and live for my wife and kids. I have always been an independent but a young college kid in NC, I leaned very left and in my fist eligible election, I voted for the inventor of the Internet, Al Gore. He lost. I then voted for John Kerry, he lost. I then voted for John McCAin, not because I didn't like BHO but because I will always vote for a veteran over a non-vet, McCain lost. See the pattern...in the 2012 election I was on the fence but by then I was a father a didn't like BHO's spending so I voted for Romney (he lost). I never got involved in local politics but I did vote against Liz Warren. My parents, Jewish immigrants from the old Soviet Union, who came here in the mid 70s we always staunch Democrats. Ted Kennedy made it possible for them to come here an voted strictly Democrat until 2016 when they completely switched to the GOP and voted for Trump citing the Left's overt anti Israel views.

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Dude! You are fricken 40, probably 41 on next birthday. You ain't old and if tired, you got a medical problem. Go Independent. You don't need a party, as it carries long term party agenda. Pendular motion is natural motion and inherently conservative in nature.

I am an independent and well compared to you I am young but my kids remind me how old I am daily. :)

My kids and their friends cannot believe I am not younger, and I just turned 70 last week.

:TH_WAY~113: Maybe I'll see you on a river or on the slopes sometime!

Yes, I am recovering from two operations to realign my leg and I am al most ready to go.

Screwed mine up after taking up skying at 60, got too aggressive, (I suppose) at 63 but made it back to the slopes last year, only to catch Covid on the trip. Good luck with your continued rehab, the last of it being all on you, after dealing with the pain of the first of it. i want people to still be surprised at my age, like you in another 4 years. :clap:

Hopefully they will. You certainly have the youthful spirit and that is what is important.

For a long time I was registered Right-To-Life until that party dissolved last year. So that gives you an idea of where I stand on social issues. Fiscally, the government at all levels is totally incapable of running a lemonade stand, let alone provide services that the private sector can do far better. I switched to Republican this year, even though there are backstabbers in the party, I believe that President Trump (get it right) awakened more Conservatives with a fighting spirit and the need to reclaim the party.

Had a liberal mother and a conservative father. Grew up being a liberal democrat up until the end of college. My politics became more centrist. As I got older, I found more in common with the Blue Dog coalition than progressive idealism. I applauded Bill Clinton for campaigning as a “New Democrat” and appreciated Sen Zell Miller for not marching in lockstep with his party. My politics are difficult to label because I still hold some positions that could be considered “liberal”.
And yet you side with Democrat positions 100% of the time. You ain't fooling anyone. I've known you for a long time.

While most people think I am a Rightwinger, I am actually quite Liberal

And yet you side with Democrat positions 100% of the time. You ain't fooling anyone. I've known you for a long time.

If you know me for such a long time, you would know that is inaccurate. By no means have I marched in lockstep with the Democratic Party 100 percent of the time.

For me: I live in Brookline (essentially Boston) MA, a large Jewish community, pretty close to Fenway and the easily accessible to downtown Boston. I am a father of two kids (11 and 13) both girls. I run a decent sized financial advisory services business. Born in Oct. 1980, I am old, tired and live for my wife and kids. I have always been an independent but a young college kid in NC, I leaned very left and in my fist eligible election, I voted for the inventor of the Internet, Al Gore. He lost. I then voted for John Kerry, he lost. I then voted for John McCAin, not because I didn't like BHO but because I will always vote for a veteran over a non-vet, McCain lost. See the pattern...in the 2012 election I was on the fence but by then I was a father a didn't like BHO's spending so I voted for Romney (he lost). I never got involved in local politics but I did vote against Liz Warren. My parents, Jewish immigrants from the old Soviet Union, who came here in the mid 70s were always staunch Democrats. Ted Kennedy made it possible for them to come here an voted strictly Democrat until 2016 when they completely switched to the GOP and voted for Trump citing the Left's overt anti Israel views.

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Lol, you are doing it backwards. National politics is crap shoot. Local politics you can actually get to know who you are voting for. Make your neighborhood great first. Then hopefully the next neighborhood notices and emulates.

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

I grew up being told by the GOP that government was the problem and was told by the DNC that corporations were the problem

Turns out they were both spot on!

Who knew?

At least those in the GOP have embraced this truth, the Left has sold out to corporate and is now pro 1%'ers it seems cuz corporate done gone woke!

Thank you,

Your friend the Pale Orc

View attachment 480564

Lol, you are doing it backwards. National politics is crap shoot. Local politics you can actually get to know who you are voting for. Make your neighborhood great first. Then hopefully the next neighborhood notices and emulates.

That is what I am doing.

More like quite Communist.

No, actually I tend to be liberal.
I don’t even like Trump that much
Trump did better by the American people than Joe BiDumb and Kamala Kumquat.
Trump left office in disgrace
He had to sneak out of town
And your dream of a one party far Left state needs to be killed. We're not going away.

More like quite Communist.

No, actually I tend to be liberal.
I don’t even like Trump that much
Trump did better by the American people than Joe BiDumb and Kamala Kumquat.
Trump left office in disgrace
He had to sneak out of town
And your dream of a one party far Left state needs to be killed. We're not going away.

I don’t dream of a one party left state but think that Conservatives are bringing it on themselves

Forum List

Back