Why do so many people deny climate change

Dave -

So it's "settled", huh?

Try and respond to what I post, and not what you think I might post.
I was speaking of this absolute statement of yours:

"people deny climate change for political reasons, and political reasons only."

You think the matter of skepticism is settled. You've dictated that it's due to politics only. You haven't read a single piece of science we've presented that casts doubt on AGW.

I've made quite clear that my skepticism of AGW is firmly based on science. My opposition to the solutions proposed to mitigate the effects of AGW is based on reality.

Two separate issues.

Can you see the difference, or would you rather keep arguing against what you think I might post?

For 17 years, there has been no warming.

Is that "settled"?
However, on this board the argumentation from sceptical posters is almost entirely political. Those are the arguments we see presented here most often.
Then I submit you're seeing only what you want to see.
btw. Sceptics do not question science, they ignore it. They also tend to swallow whatever they see on blogs and do so without hesitation. THAT is the problem in a nutshell - poor sources of information.
From your point of view, that's correct. Anything that disputes AGW dogma is automatically a "poor source of information".

That's not very open-minded, is it?

Science is not an opinion. We know right science from non science. The more complex it is, the more education is required to know the right stuff.

So you're right.

Anything that disputes AGW science is automatically a "poor source of information".

Science is not an opinion. We know right science from non science. The more complex it is, the more education is required to know the right stuff.

So you're right.

Anything that disputes AGW science is automatically a "poor source of information".

I take your point, but I disagree with this - I think there is some excellent science out there which challenges the details of climate change; just not the basic trends.

We know human-released CO2 is causing temperatures to rise; but the extent of that rise is still hotly contested and contestable.

Most of our sceptics won't read that material, though, because they will only read the extremist blogs who assure them nothing at all is changing, anyway, ever.

If the government waits for business to welcome the future we'll be stuck here for ever. The future is risky. The present is profitable.
What's the government's track record on green energy investment?

Not so hot, actually. The left points to the Tesla as a successful electric car. But its $60K price puts it out of reach for most of America.

Industry will lead the way to sustainable energy -- if government gets out of the way.

Why would business change if the most profitable path for each individual business is doing nothing?

Remember the one rule of each business is make more money regardless of the cost to others.
Exxon?s $100m Algae Investment Falls Flat
Exxon Mobil Corp. (NYSE: XOM) is cutting its losses on algae biofuels after investing over $100 million only to find that it couldn’t achieve commercial viability.

Earlier this week, Exxon announced that while it wasn’t throwing in the towel, it would be forced to restructure its algae research with partner California-based Synthetic Genomics Inc (SGI).

When the two launched their algae-derived biofuels program in 2009, Exxon planned to invest around $600 million with the goal of developing algae fuels within 10 years.​
They tried it, and it didn't work out.

Why would they try it, if all they were interested was black goo from the ground?

Because sometimes, trying different things works:

Chevron Bets on $30 Billion Volcanoes Beneath Rainforest - Bloomberg
Chevron Corp. (CVX) drilled 84 wells to a depth of two miles beneath the Indonesian rainforest to tap steam, not oil and gas, that’s trapped in the world’s richest store of volcanic energy.
The oil driller’s geothermal plant, set among wild orchids and bamboo trees, uses 315 degree Celsius (600 degree Fahrenheit) heat to spin turbines 24 hours a day, generating electricity for Jakarta, a four-hour drive to the north. Chevron, which pioneered geothermal energy 20 years ago in Southeast Asia’s biggest economy, is about to see competition.

Companies from General Electric Co. (GE) to India’s Tata Corp. are leading an investment boom in Indonesia that may climb to more than $30 billion, anticipating President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono will honor his promise in February to boost clean- energy subsidies. The pledge has spurred the biggest geothermal spending spree in Asia and the largest outside of the U.S.​
Chevron Announces Re-Entry into US Geothermal Market
Chevron announced yesterday that the company is re-entering the US geothermal power market after an absence of some years.

Gregg Rotenberg – Vice President of Strategy and Renewable Energy Investment at Chevron made the announcement during a speech at the Opening Session of the 36th GRC Annual Meeting in Reno, Nevada.

Gregg said that Chevron has been studying investment opportunities in the U.S. for some time. Chevron now wants to join with partners in projects - not be a sole owner or operator of a project.

The company is interested in projects of at least 10 MW and could also include co-production.

Gregg said that Chevron had, in fact begun investing in geothermal power projects in the U.S., and that the company had been a silent partner in financing the EnergySource Hudson I project in the Imperial Valley in California.​

Looky there: EEEEEvil Big Oil looking to make money off of alternative energy.

I'll bet you didn't know about any of that, did you?

I just finished reading a post in which Abraham responded to a comment by posting a graph. After realizing the person he was talking to was taking visual cues from a picture and ignoring the information in the graph, I started thinking about why people deny climate change.

Tim Prosser wrote an interesting article on the subject and it came down to just a few ideas:

One is that many people who deny global warming do not have a science background. Therefore, they find themselves in a bind when dealing with the materials explaining the issue.

Additionally, climate change discussion has become so politicized and misinformation so regularly injected by those with incentive to do so that the conversation is overwhelming for many people to sort through.

And last but not least, I think the prospect of declining living standards creates an emotional response in people that in many ways shares the stages of grief. People are emotionally attached to lifestyles and it is VERY difficult to accept data that may point toward new behaviors.

K.

Big oil is a multiple billion industry which has this government jumping to every whim they have. Our congress and state governments are populated with folks in the pocket of big oil. They also can afford to buy scientists that provide dubious research to muddy up the debate.

We are probably at a point where even if what was required was done immediately, the damage is still going to be with us for the next century or so. But something has to be done to assure we aren't going to destroy the biosphere over the long term.

So it's "settled", huh?

You guys really should stop making such absolute statements. They always turn around and bite you on the behind.

I don't deny climate change. I deny that man has had any appreciable impact on climate change.

See? You even got THAT wrong.

That faux superiority is getting pretty old -- especially from someone who refuses to acknowledge science that counters his dogma.

Note: For someone claiming to be literate, there sure are a lot of misspellings in your post.

That's the problem: You don't want anyone to understand it -- you want everyone to believe in it. Accept it. Endorse it. Above all, don't question it.

Those of us who value science and the scientific method simply can't do that. We have to speak up when we see science being perverted and bastardized for political ends.

Your problem is NOT that skeptics don't understand. Your problem is that skeptics understand all too well.

You keep using the word ''settled''. Some is, some isn't, and scientists can tell the difference. That’s a fundamental truth of science.

I don't believe anything is ever "settled" in science. I remember when no one believed black holes were possible or that the Universe is still expanding.

But evolution and Climate Change are about as close as you can get. Some minor details may change, some aspects may be debated, but the general premise stays the same.

Every advancement in science is built on many things known to be true. We know empirically and theoretically the capabilities of calculus for example. Nobody has to prove that to use calculus. Science is growing and dynamic. But the use of the word settled is typically used by people who find the truth of science inconvenient to their politics. They can use not settled to imply that nothing is really known. And that's just not correct.

So you're right.

I take your point, but I disagree with this - I think there is some excellent science out there which challenges the details of climate change; just not the basic trends.

We know human-released CO2 is causing temperatures to rise; but the extent of that rise is still hotly contested and contestable.

Most of our sceptics won't read that material, though, because they will only read the extremist blogs who assure them nothing at all is changing, anyway, ever.

It's "excellent" because it is well funded.

By big oil.

So it's "settled", huh?

You guys really should stop making such absolute statements. They always turn around and bite you on the behind.

I don't deny climate change. I deny that man has had any appreciable impact on climate change.

See? You even got THAT wrong.

That faux superiority is getting pretty old -- especially from someone who refuses to acknowledge science that counters his dogma.

Note: For someone claiming to be literate, there sure are a lot of misspellings in your post.

That's the problem: You don't want anyone to understand it -- you want everyone to believe in it. Accept it. Endorse it. Above all, don't question it.

Those of us who value science and the scientific method simply can't do that. We have to speak up when we see science being perverted and bastardized for political ends.

Your problem is NOT that skeptics don't understand. Your problem is that skeptics understand all too well.

You keep using the word ''settled''. Some is, some isn't, and scientists can tell the difference. That’s a fundamental truth of science.

I don't believe anything is ever "settled" in science. I remember when no one believed black holes were possible or that the Universe is still expanding.

But evolution and Climate Change are about as close as you can get. Some minor details may change, some aspects may be debated, but the general premise stays the same.

We still haven't found HOW gravity propagates, or why the Sun's corona is millions of degrees hotter than the surface or what something as large as the Moon is doing in orbit around the Earth, but we know for certain that a test tank filled with 800PPM of CO2 will show an 8 degree higher temperature than a test tank filled with regular air.

Oh no, wait, we don't have ANY experiments on adding CO2 to a test tank.

Sorry

Looky there: EEEEEvil Big Oil looking to make money off of alternative energy.

I'll bet you didn't know about any of that, did you?

Are you kidding?

There are TV ads from every major oil company telling us how green they are and how algal fuels may be the next big thing etc, etc.

That doesn't mean they are, or it is.

Indeed. Yet here, too, the government is trying to pick winners and losers.

And it's failing.

Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door.

Give taxpayer money to big party donors, and the taxpayers get screwed.

I think that one of the things that keeps you out in the weeds...
What keeps me out in the weeds, as you term it, is realism.

I have never said anything remotely like that.
It's a very complex problem worthy of a global scientific organization...
Let me guess: The IPCC.
...the best of government and business and responsible private citizens. But, none of those contributors are perfect. In fact their all made up of mere humans. But we won't be given any breaks by mother nature. The difficulty of the problem is just what is.

Your and my choice is simple. Contribute to either the problem if that's all you can do, or to the solution if you are able.
Your attitude is that you see anything that doesn't exactly parallel your proposed solution as being part of the problem.

It's a closed-minded and narrow view. Your way or the highway. You're either with us or against us.

I'm guessing you criticized George Bush for that attitude.

Problems can have many solutions. Just because you don't like some of them based on emotion reasons doesn't mean they're not viable.

If you mean that my mind is closed to things provably not true, then you are correct. You are against any admission that others know more than you on any topic. That’s just not true of anyone.

Indeed. Yet here, too, the government is trying to pick winners and losers.

And it's failing.

Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door.

Give taxpayer money to big party donors, and the taxpayers get screwed.

I think that one of the things that keeps you out in the weeds...
What keeps me out in the weeds, as you term it, is realism.

I have never said anything remotely like that.
It's a very complex problem worthy of a global scientific organization...
Let me guess: The IPCC.
...the best of government and business and responsible private citizens. But, none of those contributors are perfect. In fact their all made up of mere humans. But we won't be given any breaks by mother nature. The difficulty of the problem is just what is.

Your and my choice is simple. Contribute to either the problem if that's all you can do, or to the solution if you are able.
Your attitude is that you see anything that doesn't exactly parallel your proposed solution as being part of the problem.

It's a closed-minded and narrow view. Your way or the highway. You're either with us or against us.

I'm guessing you criticized George Bush for that attitude.

Problems can have many solutions. Just because you don't like some of them based on emotion reasons doesn't mean they're not viable.

My opinion is that George B was a hood ornament. Like Reagan. They were along for the ride while others did the even light lifting.

But we're running out of gasoline and diesel

How much is left?

And there you go again....trying to score points by posting things that are obvious to everyone else on the forum except you. I mean....how can you post that and not feel embarassed about how obvious it is?

Maybe leave the point scoring for some of the stronger posters?

He made a silly claim with no backup.
You can accept it blindly, I choose to question the claim.
Maybe you have some actual numbers for this claim?

Now run along and don't come back without some facts.

Daveman -

Why would I not support that? That's a fine idea, and I hope they can make it work efficiently and economically -- WITHOUT government subsidies.

Why....coal never has. (See my sig line).

I don't support ongoing subsidies either - but I have no problem with feed-in tariffs as countries transition from the old to the new.

btw. There is only one definition for literacy. If you think Skooks or Frank are literate, you need to check a dictionary.

Still making that silly claim about coal? LOL!

But we're running out of gasoline and diesel and not natural gas.

More evidence that the world is not as you wish it was.

How much is left?

Nobody knows. What we do know is that we took the easy stuff first. What's left is the most expensive in every respect to harvest and use. And the demand from third world countries is growing at the same rate that our demand grew when we were developing. That’s why big oil has instructed you to act the way that you are. There is nothing more profitable than high demand, low supply of a hard to produce commodity. Think diamonds.

Nobody knows.

Then you shouldn't make the claim you did.

There is nothing more profitable than high demand, low supply of a hard to produce commodity. Think diamonds.

You think there's a low supply of diamonds? LOL!

Todd -

I'll try and post this at a level you might be able to follow - is the amount of oil left limitless?

It's pretty close. With new recovery methods the amount of recoverable oil is 6.2 trillion barrels - enough to last hundreds of years.

So you're right.

You are correct of course. There is stuff that we know and stuff still under study. We know that atmospheric GHG increasing concentration causes AGW. What we don't know is how far even today's will take climate because there are positive feedback tipping points like ice and snow loss that may take 100 years before they restabilize. But science has always been based on knowing stuff reliable enough to count on, vs stuff still being explored.

Diesel engines are easily converted to CNG with equal efficiency as with diesel fuel.

Not really.

http://eadiv.state.wy.us/SpecialReports/NGV_School_Bus_2012.pdf
A Feasibility Study of Natural Gas Vehicle Conversion
In Wyoming Public School Districts

--

Fuel Economy
CNG fuel tanks are heavier than their diesel counterparts, adding about 2,500 pounds for a five-tank bus. Increased vehicle weight reduces fuel efficiency. This is important because fuel efficiency must be considered when comparing fuel costs. A diesel gallon equivalent is the amount of CNG required to equal the energy content – expressed as British Thermal Units or BTUs – of one gallon of diesel fuel. However, there are substantial variances in the manner and efficiency with which the different engines convert fuel energy potential. It is commonly acknowledged that a spark ignition natural gas engine is somewhat less fuel efficient (i.e. lower fuel economy) than a compression ignition diesel engine. Based on multiple publications and citations3,4,5, this report assumes an average fuel economy of 7.0 miles per gallon (MPG) for diesel buses, and 6.0 miles per DGE for CNG buses. This equates to a 14.3 percent reduction in efficiency.​

Nor is the conversion cheap or easy.

CNG Engine and Diesel Engine Conversion
Diesel Engine Conversions:

Suggested engine modifications to assure engine reliability, optimized power, low fuel consumption and emissions may include optimizing compression ratio, engine cooling and engine lubrication. A properly modified engine can make the same power as the base diesel engine.

Considerations:
May need to improve cooling system efficiency
May need engine oil cooler
May need new valves, valve seats, guides and seals
May need new pistons and rings
Engine compression must be lowered
Ignition system must be installed
Cylinder head modifications are needed to install spark plugs

NOTE:

* A detailed project evaluation and thorough inspection of the engines is required
prior to purchase order acceptance.

* Not all diesel engines can be cost effectively converted. Some engines require a great amount of mechanical changes to operate reliably. Some converted engines can not be tuned to the strictest emission standards.​

Daveman -

Why would I not support that? That's a fine idea, and I hope they can make it work efficiently and economically -- WITHOUT government subsidies.

Why....coal never has. (See my sig line).

I don't support ongoing subsidies either - but I have no problem with feed-in tariffs as countries transition from the old to the new.

btw. There is only one definition for literacy. If you think Skooks or Frank are literate, you need to check a dictionary.

So called "feed-in tariffs" are subsidies, dipstick.

To answer the OP, people deny climate change for political reasons, and political reasons only.

Certainly literacy is also a factor, and it is clear that some of our sceptics on this board simply cannot read and write well enugh to read science or news concerning science. Most can, however.

If we list the 5 - 10 most commonly cited 'issues' with climate change, they are all political.

They are also arguments which the posters themselves frequently know not to be true, and in that this topic may be unique. Every week we see posters claiming that scientists only do what government wants them to do - and then going strangely quiet when reminded that scientists in most conservative countries also back AGW.

Such arguments are simple non sequitors, tossed out purely as an excuse to justify denying science.

There is a postive side to this in that (on this board) there are probably only one or two posters who genuinely do not understand or believe in AGW. There are simply 20 or so who will not admit to it.

Conservatives, like all revolutionaries, are media creations. They only repeat what they are told to. No thinking, no education, no experience required.
So now conservatives are "revolutionaries".

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

How much is left?

And there you go again....trying to score points by posting things that are obvious to everyone else on the forum except you. I mean....how can you post that and not feel embarassed about how obvious it is?

Maybe leave the point scoring for some of the stronger posters?
You mean everyone knows but us how much is left?

Then you won't have any problem telling us, will you?

Forum List

Back