Why do people use checks?

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Checks were phased out here in the late 1980's, and eventually replaced by internet banking.

These days almost all invoices are sent and paid electronically, and instant internet payments used for everything from movie tickets to tax bills.

Checks seem like a hell of a lot of trouble to me - what's the upside to them?

I agree. It's fucking annoying, especially when you're behind someone writing one in the grocery check out line.

I have to change my debit card about once a year because it gets hacked, I've not changed my checking account in 30 years

http://news.yahoo.com/us-banks-pay-8-5b-mortgage-settlement-104500919--finance.html

The companies involved in the settlement announced Monday also include Citigroup, MetLife Bank, PNC Financial Services, Sovereign, SunTrust, U.S. Bank and Aurora. The 2011 action also included GMAC Mortgage, HSBC Finance Corp. and EMC Mortgage Corp.

Regulators announced the deal on the same day that Bank of America agreed to pay $11.6 billion to government-backed mortgage financier Fannie Mae to settle claims related to mortgages that soured during the housing crash.

I still write some checks...i use my debit most of the time, but like with my internet provider, they don't have an option to pay it on line and i don't like to give a stranger my debit # over the phone, so i mail in a check. Also, if i want to send money to my kids it's easiest to mail them a check....sp there are certain circumstances for me that a check is easier.

I have to change my debit card about once a year because it gets hacked, I've not changed my checking account in 30 years

Really? How does it get hacked?

I know it happens here that people might watch you enter your PIN number and then steal your wallet in a bar or something, but it is fairly rare.

With contactless payment cards there is no PIN number, so that makes it a bit easier, too.

I still write some checks...i use my debit most of the time, but like with my internet provider, they don't have an option to pay it on line and i don't like to give a stranger my debit # over the phone, so i mail in a check. Also, if i want to send money to my kids it's easiest to mail them a check....sp there are certain circumstances for me that a check is easier.

That is amazing - no company could survive in Finland with online payment services. They'd be a laughing stock....it' amazing how different countries are with these things.

When I renew my professional license I am required to either send a check or if doing it electronically send a check number, routing and account number. The place I buy my Panama hats from gives a discount if paid by check so I do that as well.

Never in a goddamn grocery line.

Forum List

Back