Why do Americans pay so much for their medications?

Arianrhod

Gold Member
Jul 24, 2015
It's a rhetorical question. Americans pay so much for their medications because pharma companies are allowed to charge more (the excuse is usually "recouping the costs of R&D for new drugs"). Another factor is that most Americans have no clue they're being ripped off.

Knowing how much some USMB posters love pretty pictures, here's one for your contemplation:

21523_10154511593087908_7444763326115156245_n.png

It's a rhetorical question. Americans pay so much for their medications because pharma companies are allowed to charge more (the excuse is usually "recouping the costs of R&D for new drugs"). Another factor is that most Americans have no clue they're being ripped off.

Knowing how much some USMB posters love pretty pictures, here's one for your contemplation:

21523_10154511593087908_7444763326115156245_n.png

You are a leftist, ergo not very bright.

Most Americans don't pay for their medications directly. If they have a $5 copay, to them they are paying $5. Because the actual price of the medication is hidden to the consumer, there is no push back on the prices. Medicare destroyed the market mechanisms that keep costs in check. Private insurance adopted the same model as Medicare, and now we have a disconnect between the consumer and the vendor, destroying the invisible hand that regulates free markets.

Because our drugs have what the others dont....A sprinkle of freedom

...to pay more than everyone else

Most Americans don't pay for their medications directly. If they have a $5 copay, to them they are paying $5. Because the actual price of the medication is hidden to the consumer, there is no push back on the prices.

Correct, and for decades insurers allowed this because they would only cover new meds for certain conditions after all of the older, cheaper (and in pharma terms "dirtier") drugs were tried.

Doctors' notes were filled with "Patient has failed on Drug X, and will now be tried on Drug Y...[six months later]...Patient reports severe side effects with Drug Y, was told about Drug Z and the costs. Patient awaiting reply from insurer to determine if Drug Z is covered or if patient will have to pay out of pocket..."

In the wake of the PPACA and more informed consumers courtesy of charts like the above, insurers are under pressure to lower prices. It will take some time for them to do so, but they know they're under scrutiny.

Meanwhile, the proliferation of online pharma websites is biting them in the ass.

Don't worry they will be pushing up the prices everywhere in the new trade agreements.

Most Americans don't pay for their medications directly. If they have a $5 copay, to them they are paying $5. Because the actual price of the medication is hidden to the consumer, there is no push back on the prices. Medicare destroyed the market mechanisms that keep costs in check. Private insurance adopted the same model as Medicare, and now we have a disconnect between the consumer and the vendor, destroying the invisible hand that regulates free markets.

Who isn't in a tiered formulary these days that nudges them toward lower cost generics where they're available (i.e., co-pays scale with the price of the drug, within that tiered plan design at least)?

In cases, where there isn't a generic, how are consumers to "push back" on a drug with patent protection? Not take their meds?

Because big business can inflate teh fuck out of medications and the government doesn't do shit. Part of this has to do with the reality that so many people think the rich should be able to fuck over everyone.

Aren't you the one who thinks government is so great ?

What happened ?

Has anybody addressed the so-called canard that all this money pays for R&D ?

If that isn't the case, then we are getting ripped off.

If it is, then we run the risk of not seeing more advancements in medicine.

The government caused all of this and it amazes me people continue to the government to now fix it for them.

Jonas Salk did it without government patent protections and millions in R&D, so frankly, I call bullshit on that philosophy.

Jonas Salk did it without government patent protections and millions in R&D, so frankly, I call bullshit on that philosophy.

That does not make the case.

I am not stumping for one or the other....just sayin'.

It's part of the overall GOP plan to squeeze the middle class for everything they've got.

I know you can't prove your bullshit. I know why the vaccines didn't get patent protection. And I know where Salk got his many millions for research. For once, prove your assertions. Or I will be forced to make you look foolish.

I know you can't prove your bullshit. I know why the vaccines didn't get patent protection. And I know where Salk got his many millions for research. For once, prove your assertions. Or I will be forced to make you look foolish.

Oh, please make him look foolish.

That would be a first.

It's part of the overall GOP plan to squeeze the middle class for everything they've got.

It would be great if you could provide some proof for your assertion.
Actions are proof. So is GOP ideology, We must give the job creators money to create jobs.
Go ahead, tell us how Republicans help the middle class.

In other words....true to form....you've got nothing.

Oh, I am not saying you couldn't make your case if you tried.

I don't like the GOP.

But you are a huge waste of bandwidth and an embarrassment to the human race.

Forum List

Back