Why did society lose interest in space?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ever since BSG ended in 2009 space related stuff has been absent from TV until 2015 when Syfy gave us The Expanse.

However it struggled to get the attention of mainstream TV viewers. One would think after the long absence of anything space related the masses would be hungering for another space adventure. It ran for three seasons on Syfy before being cancelled. Fortunately the show was saved by Jeff Bezos and Amazon.

What happened? Was it too boring? Was it too dark and gritty? Did the stigma attached to the Syfy brand become too much? Did Game of Thrones suck all the hot air out of the room?

What kind of space adventure would have grabbed the attention of 2015 TV viewers? Something more optimistic and fun?

Could a show about a space agency that eventually becomes a Starfleet like organization be interesting? They could start with conventional rockets and by the end of the show have spacecraft that are more like Star Trek.
0039925.jpg

I don't know of any sci fi show that did that.

Would the old Star Trek outfits be too ridiculous?
oldtos.jpg

Would cool looking fighter pilot like uniforms be better?
kulin.jpg

Or are sci fi and fantasy elements more acceptable to the mainstream due to the success of Game of Thrones? Would a show set in space that becomes big with the mainstream have to be like Game of Thrones? Earth becomes uninhabitable and the remnants of humanity flee on a ship to a far off cluster of stars. There they split into different civilizations and fight each other until something forces them to work together.

Last edited:
I lost interest in space roughly around the time I discovered girls.
Well JFK was both into girls and space lol
One friend told me he no longer had interest in space because there were 'too many problems on Earth to be looking at stars.'

The space race so far is about planting the flag on various planets and moons, not much motivation for more pragmatic people.

I think we should rethink what we want to do in space and develope an actual strategy to harvest the resources of space to benefit people, other than just the spin off tech.

We can mine asteroids to bring in more commodities and lower prices for various manufactured items.
We can off space tourism to let people actually visit the moon and see the glory of the heavens.
We can use the effort to not only advance our tech but to also perfect our AI research as well.
In addition the medical research on neutralizing the impact of radiation in space can likely be used to lengthen life spans here.

Going into space just needs a good rethink and some better salesmanship.

Ever since BSG ended in 2009 space related stuff has been absent from TV until 2015 when Syfy gave us The Expanse.

However it struggled to get the attention of mainstream TV viewers. One would think after the long absence of anything space related the masses would be hungering for another space adventure. It ran for three seasons on Syfy before being cancelled. Fortunately the show was saved by Jeff Bezos and Amazon.

What happened? Was it too boring? Was it too dark and gritty? Did the stigma attached to the Syfy brand become too much? Did Game of Thrones suck all the hot air out of the room?

What kind of space adventure would have grabbed the attention of 2015 TV viewers? Something more optimistic and fun?

Could a show about a space agency that eventually becomes a Starfleet like organization be interesting? They could start with conventional rockets and by the end of the show have spacecraft that are more like Star Trek.
0039925.jpg

oldtos.jpg

kulin.jpg

Or are sci fi and fantasy elements more acceptable to the mainstream due to the success of Game of Thrones? Would a show set in space that becomes big with the mainstream have to be like Game of Thrones? Earth becomes uninhabitable and the remnants of humanity flee on a ship to a far off cluster of stars. There they split into different civilizations and fight each other until something forces them to work together.

If you're talking about space in terms of exploration of the solar system, its the classic "long term issue in a short attention span world". Its hard to keep your focus when the span of concept to conception is decades.

If you're talking about the casual interest in books, TV, movies, I won't say I dislike the setting of space but there is an aspect to it where there are too many wildcards for my taste--which is why I do not like the whole Avengers franchise.

0039925.jpg

oldtos.jpg

kulin.jpg

If you're talking about space in terms of exploration of the solar system, its the classic "long term issue in a short attention span world". Its hard to keep your focus when the span of concept to conception is decades.

If you're talking about the casual interest in books, TV, movies, I won't say I dislike the setting of space but there is an aspect to it where there are too many wildcards for my taste--which is why I do not like the whole Avengers franchise.

The Martian was a great film. My cousins little girl worked on the special effects on that one. There was a Tom Cruise film as well . Oblivion ? That was a good watch till the final 30 minutes.

Dont all of those wretched comic book superhero films count as sci fi ?

0039925.jpg

oldtos.jpg

kulin.jpg

I think Hollywood has a lot to do with the decline.
They just dont put out quality syfy movies anymore. I love books about colonizing other planets and read everyone I can get my hands on.

As far as real space exploration goes and the lack of interest by the American public is simple.
NASA is a shell of its former self and hasnt done much since the shuttle program.
It the gov stops spending on space exploration there's nothing new to get excited about.
The ISS is now ho-hum as are the unmanned trips to Mars.
If they were to start putting Man on the moon in permanent bases that would spark interest....until it didnt.
We've become stagnant in the space race because we dont have the tech to get past the moon and colonize and I dont see that changing in the near future.

Forum List

Back