Why Can't the Major Parties Produce Good Candidates? Why Can't We Elect Good Candidates?

I know most people are here for the two-party food fight, so this thread likely won't get much traction, but it seems we have a real problem with our election system. Neither party seems capable of, or interested in, nominating someone who will be a good leader for the country as a whole. And voters can't seem to break out of the habit of voting for Ds or Rs no matter how bad the candidates are. Why is that? And how can we fix it?

In my view, strategic voting (lesser-of-two-evils) is the biggest culprit. It tells us that we need to vote for bad candidates because the "other guy" is even worse. Fear is an easy sell, so the parties lean heavily on this strategy, spending most of their time demonizing the opponent rather than holding up the virtues of their candidate (which are virtually non-existent). Ranked choice would eliminate lesser-of-two-evils voting and finally allow voters to vote "against" candidates they find unacceptable (by ranking them last). This would discourage divisive partisan fear mongering and make it more likely that consensus seeking candidates are elected.

There other problems, of course, and I'm curious what you all think they are. Although, to be clear, I'm not talking about corruption or "stolen" elections. I'm talking about the systemic problems with the way we're doing elections that make it seemingly impossible for good leaders to get elected.
Features, not bugs.

Two criminal gangs dominate US politics.

They won’t permit any other party to get off the ground, and they control the entire apparatus.

Their ball, their field, their officials, their rules.

The End

The Founders never intended for "professional" politicians to be in office for 4, 5, or even 6 DECADES!!!! The idea, and Trump was correct on this, was, is, and should be ordinary citizens coming from a variety of backgrounds to serve for a limited time in government, then leave when their term is up.
^ This.

Citizen leadership.

Features, not bugs.

Two criminal gangs dominate US politics.

They won’t permit any other party to get off the ground, and they control the entire apparatus.

Their ball, their field, their officials, their rules.

The End
I've always advocated reform of the existing GOP. Get rid of the backstabbing two-faced RINOs in favor of real Conservatives. Problem with multiple parties is that influence is greatly diluted to the point of ineffectiveness.

I know most people are here for the two-party food fight, so this thread likely won't get much traction, but it seems we have a real problem with our election system. Neither party seems capable of, or interested in, nominating someone who will be a good leader for the country as a whole. And voters can't seem to break out of the habit of voting for Ds or Rs no matter how bad the candidates are. Why is that? And how can we fix it?

In my view, strategic voting (lesser-of-two-evils) is the biggest culprit. It tells us that we need to vote for bad candidates because the "other guy" is even worse. Fear is an easy sell, so the parties lean heavily on this strategy, spending most of their time demonizing the opponent rather than holding up the virtues of their candidate (which are virtually non-existent). Ranked choice would eliminate lesser-of-two-evils voting and finally allow voters to vote "against" candidates they find unacceptable (by ranking them last). This would discourage divisive partisan fear mongering and make it more likely that consensus seeking candidates are elected.

There other problems, of course, and I'm curious what you all think they are. Although, to be clear, I'm not talking about corruption or "stolen" elections. I'm talking about the systemic problems with the way we're doing elections that make it seemingly impossible for good leaders to get elected.
Every "fake" democracy has that problem - not just the USA. AFAIK there is only a single true democracy on this planet, and that would be Switzerland.
As such either a true democracy, or a well led autocratic system that at least offers the advantage of eliminating 80% of corruption and political disruption, that is detrimental to a country and it's population.

Why Can't the Major Parties Produce Good Candidates? Why Can't We Elect Good Candidates?​

Well….let’s look at recent candidates

Joe Biden- Almost 40 years in the Senate and 8 years as Vice President. Probably the most qualified candidate in history

Donald Trump- No Government experience, Unqualified both emotionally and intellectually

Barack Obama- One term Senator. Least qualified since JFK

George W Bush- Texas Governor, Executive experience

Bill Clinton- Arkansas Governor, small state

George HW Bush- 8 years VP, CIA Director, Congressman. Highly qualified

Yeah, I don't know what the OP is talking about.

The Founders never intended for "professional" politicians to be in office for 4, 5, or even 6 DECADES!!!! The idea, and Trump was correct on this, was, is, and should be ordinary citizens coming from a variety of backgrounds to serve for a limited time in government, then leave when their term is up.
Well in that case you should never vote for an incumbent then... But you do.

Setting aside your personal hypocrisy for a moment....are you on drugs?

I can see it now. The SALT treaty is being debated in the Senate. Who should we have up there debating....a guy who was working as a landscaper last year or someone who has dealt with the Russians/Soviets for decades? I'll take the latter.

It seems for the most part nobody worth voting for will even run for national office, especially POTUS, due to not being willing to put themselves and the families though the forth coming attacks.

No matter which party you belong to, if you run you will automatically have 1/3 or more of the country instantly hate you and attack everything you do. Your family will be fair game and any mistake you made in your life will be brought to the light of day for the whole world to know about.
If I ran for office Republicans would go to my elementary school, and take a long hard look at my Permanent Record. They would warn the voters about all the times I had to stay after school for talking out of turn.

Trump is a good argument against what he claims.

Trump was President for one term how the fuck can that be equated to a professional politician. Biden however fits the definition to a T. He has never had a real job and been a politician his entire adult life.
You think being a politician isn't a "real job"? Your shift at 7-Eleven isn't as challenging

The RNC/DNC are sleeping together in the same bed. Public education pushes 'groupthink over the all important 'critical thinking' process. The mantra "YOU DESERVE" takes precedent over "YOU HAVE TO EARN". Third party candidates are attacked by BOTH the DNC/RNC. Independent candidates are 'set up to fail' either by scandal or by being belittled. The RNC/DNC corporations DO NOT LIKE COMPETITION!

^ Blatant Democrat hatred for the working class they pretend to represent on display.

Yet again.
1691306393131.png

Not what he claims, but what the Founders envisioned.
When I go to a doctor I want a doctor with a lot of experience. When I vote for a politician I want a politician with a lot of experience.

I see no value in term limits at all. I want to get the power of money out of politics.

Forum List

Back