Why aren't you wearing an N95 Mask?

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
N95 masks provide near complete protection for the wearer and others. Suppose there were enough for everyone in the country, imagine how few cases there would be. Business and schools could open almost immediately with little danger to employees and customers or students and teachers. So why arenā€™t we doing it?

As it turns out, the cost of manufacturing an N95 mask is only about 58 cents. The CDC recommends masks are changed every 8 hours of use. It might be a lot less for non-healthcare employees. Assuming a mask could be made available for $1 each and all employers and schools were required to provide masks for employees and students, the cost would be about $15 a month for each full time employee or student. The general public would be required to wear N95 masks in public places with the federal government subsidizing the cost for low income families.

Although the cost is high, about 4 or 5 billion a month itā€™s a lot less than what the epidemic is costing the country, not to mention the loss of lives and the disruption to the lives of hundreds of millions of people. We could open up schools and business as soon as the masks were available and we probably could do away with most restrictions. If the program was successful, thereā€™s a good chance the virus could be almost eliminated within a few months. Sporting events and concerts and other mass gathering could continue. So why isn't it even being considered?

Last edited:
N95 masks provide near complete protection for the wearer and others. Suppose there were enough for everyone in the country, imagine how few cases there would be. Business and schools could open almost immediately with little danger to employees and customers or students and teachers. So why arenā€™t we doing it?

As it turns out, the cost of manufacturing an N95 mask is only about 58 cents. The CDC recommends masks are changed every 8 hours of use. It might be a lot less for non-healthcare employees. Assuming a mask could be made available for $1 each and all employers and schools were required to provide masks for employees and students, the cost would be about $15 a month for each full time employee or student. The general public would be required to wear N95 masks in public places with the federal government subsidizing the cost for low income families.

Although the cost is high, about 4 or 5 billion a month itā€™s a lot less than what the epidemic is costing the country, not to mention the loss of lives and the disruption to the lives of hundreds of millions of people. We could open up schools and business as soon as the masks were available and we probably do away with most restrictions. If the program was successful, thereā€™s a good chance the virus could be almost eliminated within a few months. So why isn't it even being considered?
You need goggles too

We donā€™t even have enough N95 masks for healthcare workers, and I donā€™t know about the providing near complete protection, but I suppose it would make a difference if everyone had one. Itā€™s an idea.

N95 masks cause hypoxia, headaches, lower your immunity, and unless you are in very close direct proximity to people with Covid19 are STUPID.

I'm good.

vHKnwxvHQVfTA5XUeAjvt9.jpg

Although the cost is high, about 4 or 5 billion a month itā€™s a lot less than what the epidemic is costing the country, not to mention the loss of lives and the disruption to the lives of hundreds of millions of people. We could open up schools and business as soon as the masks were available and we probably could do away with most restrictions. If the program was successful, thereā€™s a good chance the virus could be almost eliminated within a few months. Sporting events and concerts and other mass gathering could continue. So why isn't it even being considered?
Because St. Fauci said I didn't have to wear one....

No, the demo_china_commie scum want the schools to stay closed because that keeps a lot of people from being able to go back to work.

Because none of this shit is actually about the virus, maybe?

Duh....

We donā€™t even have enough N95 masks for healthcare workers, and I donā€™t know about the providing near complete protection, but I suppose it would make a difference if everyone had one. Itā€™s an idea.
I thought much the same, then I saw this article where 3M plans to manufacture more than a billion N95 masks by the end of the year. There are many other companies, both large and small that could manufacture N95 masks. It ain't rocket science, two pieces of canvas like material cut and sewed together with a piece of filter material between plus straps and you have mask. A one way value is added so the wearer does not have to breath the same air over and over. The CDC said the N95 masks are very efficient at stopping the virus but not perfect.

How 3M Plans to Make More Than a Billion Masks By End of Year

Although the cost is high, about 4 or 5 billion a month itā€™s a lot less than what the epidemic is costing the country, not to mention the loss of lives and the disruption to the lives of hundreds of millions of people. We could open up schools and business as soon as the masks were available and we probably do away with most restrictions. If the program was successful, thereā€™s a good chance the virus could be almost eliminated within a few months. So why isn't it even being considered?
You need goggles too
Yes, for people that are dealing with many infected people such as a hospital but I doubt that would be the case for school and work environments. However, it might be a show stoppers.

N95 masks cause hypoxia, headaches, lower your immunity, and unless you are in very close direct proximity to people with Covid19 are STUPID.

No they don't... I owned and used them for years... They get warm alright and they are more uncomfortable than a surgical mask...

The problem is supply and demand... The production & supply of these masks and other equipment should have been federally managed and then directed where it could do most good...

That didn't happen...

The masks themselves are very good but not fool proof... I have ordered these for the winter : CAMBRIDGE MASK Co - Cambridge Mask Co. They are not suitable medically but will suit if I am traveling in Europe.

Hopefully something else will save us before that..

Produce enuff so peoe that want to wear them can wear them. Business owners will have to let their workers wear them as well

Agreed

I don't see any scenario where I wear a mask. Construction is essentially an isolated job.
I laugh when I see idiots driving alone in a car wearing them. Must suck to be that stupid/paranoid

You need goggles too
Yes, for people that are dealing with many infected people such as a hospital but I doubt that would be the case for school and work environments. However, it might be a show stoppers.
How bout public transit or simply ubering.....I demand people take all precautions ā€¦..blahblah b;lah

I worn one for hours and had no problem. The value arrange seems to keep the fresh air coming in, far better than most of masks we wear today.

I thought much the same, then I saw this article where 3M plans to manufacture more than a billion N95 masks by the end of the year. There are many other companies, both large and small that could manufacture N95 masks. It ain't rocket science, two pieces of canvas like material cut and sewed together with a piece of filter material between plus straps and you have mask. A one way value is added so the wearer does not have to breath the same air over and over. The CDC said the N95 masks are very efficient at stopping the virus but not perfect.

How 3M Plans to Make More Than a Billion Masks By End of Year

The filters are the tricky thing to get the supply off...

Saying that wearing a PM2.5 mask is quite effective and (80% v 95%)... The big thing a mask does it reminds you not to touch your face... Even more than airbourne the way to get this is touch something and then wipe your face. We do that way more than we think.

Hand Hygiene & Hand sanitiser is is probably more important.

Forum List

Back