Why are China Wet Markets still open?

Not to run afoul of the mods and rules on starting threads. Of course others start threads that do not actually support the assertion in the OP without any moderator comment or action.

But 100k Americans minimum are going to die, and people will lose homes and economic futures over this. Why isn't this something the fed govt questioning China upon, and telling them to close them, or we'll close markets?
The Dems and many neocons will stop any effort to hold China accountable. They’ve been bought and paid for by the Chinese, and Dems believe in their communist ideals.

Not to run afoul of the mods and rules on starting threads. Of course others start threads that do not actually support the assertion in the OP without any moderator comment or action.

But 100k Americans minimum are going to die, and people will lose homes and economic futures over this. Why isn't this something the fed govt questioning China upon, and telling them to close them, or we'll close markets?
The Dems and many neocons will stop any effort to hold China accountable. They’ve been bought and paid for by the Chinese, and Dems believe in their communist ideals.
Trumpy ain't doing shit with Jina. Xi is his friend.
But you are right this should be a bipartisan issue, but Trump is running for reelection

The leftists all hurry up to defend them all his savages. I'm sick of it I prefer not to think about it

The wet markets are the equivalent of farmers' markets. They are also the only source of affordable food for those living at the bottom rungs of the economic ladder, dozens of millions, actually. The Chinese tried to close them for years, but couldn't - probably because they are needed, and they are a tradition of long standing. Given there is a need for these markets, what would happen if they tried by force to shut them down? Hunger revolts because entire communities couldn't feed themselves? A myriad of black markets hidden away in side alleys, and even less sanitary conditions, and even more prevalent corruption to thwart the enforcement?

Yeah, close them down. The voice of "big government" speaks, loudly and clearly. If only it were that simple.

Of course, working together with these markets, proper supervision, raising hygiene, providing infrastructure to get it done should be more promising an avenue to take, and, of course, it is a lot more complicated than the simple, straightforward, and fail-safe "solution" would suggest.

The entire world needs to pressure China in to ending this inhumane and filthy practice.
Even Dr Fauci can't believe they are still open. I started a thread on this the other day, and barely anyone here cares about this issue.

What's a "wet" market? Why's it called "wet?"

Bcause the virus did not originate in the wet markets.

You have no conclusive evidence as to where it originated. The wet market theory might very well be "all wet." There is also circumstantial evidence that it did escape a bio lab on the outskirts of the city. We may never know for sure because the Chinese government is corrupt.

I'm not sure that is true. I think the overwhelming support is that it DID spread from a wet market. But after your post I did do some googling, and it may be that the virus actually originated in domestic animals, rather than exotics like bats or whatnot.

Moreover, without wet markets it could be that a maj of the world population wouldn't have access to fresh meat. I think my post was not well thought out. And the solution to viruses' spread is more complex than I thought.
Well done! For learning something new and admitting an error, I mean.
Some of the exotic sounding stuff (to us) that they sell is for home remedies/medicinal purposes. It's ancient cultural practice. It's not really up to us to tell China or any other country what to do with their culture.

I do agree if this thing has anything to do with sanitation practices, China should keep trying to clean it up 'til it's safe. But honestly--H1N1 started on a pig farm in Central Mexico. Did we insist Mexico stop raising pigs?

Now the Virus is spreading to cats. Serious question: if I get the Virus and die, will they euthanize my cat as a potential carrier?

Last edited:

I'm not sure that is true. I think the overwhelming support is that it DID spread from a wet market. But after your post I did do some googling, and it may be that the virus actually originated in domestic animals, rather than exotics like bats or whatnot.

Moreover, without wet markets it could be that a maj of the world population wouldn't have access to fresh meat. I think my post was not well thought out. And the solution to viruses' spread is more complex than I thought.
Well done! For learning something new and admitting an error, I mean.
Some of the exotic sounding stuff (to us) that they sell is for home remedies/medicinal purposes. It's ancient cultural practice. It's not really up to us to tell China or any other country what to do with their culture.

I do agree if this thing has anything to do with sanitation practices, China should keep trying to clean it up 'til it's safe. But honestly--H1N1 started on a pig farm in Central Mexico. Did we insist Mexico stop raising pigs?

Now the Virus is spreading to cats. Serious question: if I get the Virus and die, will they euthanize my cat as a potential carrier?
I think it is most likely related to "exotic" animals, perhaps bats in this case. The whackadoodle conspiracy is that the Chinese have a biological weapon (possibly derived from bats) that got loose.

Back when I travelled outside the US, I never went anywhere besides Europe … and of course Canada and Alabama, and while I saw some "interesting" butcher markets, esp in Ala, I never saw live slaughter. But it does seem logical that most of the world would depend on this for survival. I mean, even Ala had electricity for refrigeration …. in most places.

Trumpy ain't doing shit with Jina. Xi is his friend.
But you are right this should be a bipartisan issue, but Trump is running for reelection
February 7th?

The Chinese government closed 20,000 "wild and exotic animal" breeding and marketing establishments, indeed all "wet markets" during the crisis there. Now it is allowing opening "wet markets" it deems safe, but restrictions against many wild animals remain. As everywhere in China, new safeguards and safety protocols are being put into effect at the same time. Chinese entrepreneurs and small farmers selling through "wet markets" are crucial in providing between 30-50% of meat, poultry and seafood in China, and fulfill a far larger role than farmer's markets in the U.S. Their products frequently are considered more nutritious, fresher and safer than packaged equivalents in equally crowded supermarkets. Wet markets cannot and should not all be closed, but they must be carefully regulated.

As somebody said earlier, swine flu H1N1 came from pig farms in Mexico. Tigers in zoos can catch Coronavirus2 and -- who knows? -- maybe pass it on. Shall we kill all pets?

Health inspectors must be equipped with more tools and the financing necessary to uncover, punish and close violators of hygenic regulations. A little reason and a lot more hygienic practice is required. China has eradicated much of its own pig production in the recent past to stop outbreaks of swine flu. Their leaders have shown they have the will and ability to act, even if terrible bureaucratic mistakes are sometimes made. They will not likely again make the same mistakes they made early on in Wuhan.

Last edited:
Rumor as it China has made a deal with Nancy Pelosi and Barbra Boxer to open a wet market in San Francisco

Health inspectors must be equipped with more tools and the financing necessary to uncover, punish and close violators of hygenic regulations. A little reason and a lot more hygienic practice is required. China has eradicated much of its own pig production in the recent past to stop outbreaks of swine flu. Their leaders have shown they have the will and ability to act, even if terrible bureaucratic mistakes are sometimes made. They will not likely again make the same mistakes they made early on in Wuhan.

I agree, pretty much with everything. It confirms the impression I got reading about all of that during the last months.

Except: Of course, they will make some of the same or similar mistakes again. The power structure hasn't changed. Neither has the propensity or even necessity to please powerful potentates higher up, and so suppressing detrimental information is built into the system pretty much by necessity. Also, there is next to no accountability to the general population, the ones who ultimately end up holding the bag, and therefore should stand at the center of all state activity. There is no such thing, as we previously discovered, as a "fail-safe system", a system that cannot be tampered with in order to further a career, in a hierarchical system that generally has no outside recourse against malfeasance or worse by powerful bureaucrats.

Incidentally, that's pretty much like the fate of Captain Crozier, fired for overly caring for his crew, and causing his superiors to lose face. The hierarchical system immediately struck back, ensuring rules and regulations detrimental to the crew's health are being followed in the future. Just as in China, mistakes will 'be made', because they are built into a system which guarantees that hierarchy trumps common sense, and, at least occasionally, common decency.

Oh, and BTW, that was another pleasant and informative read. Good to have you on here.

I don't understand it either...this nation can clamp down on getting news to its ppl that they don't want out, they can clamp down on trade with the US, they can pretty much clamp down on anything but their own ppl????? I saw on the news these wet markets selling dogs and cats and every wild animal including pocupines for meat???? It breaks the heart to know that poor ppl have to eat this shit because the wealthy have dominated the good meat and they can't afford it...well news flash....BECOME A FUCKIN VEGITARIAN!!

It breaks the heart to know that poor ppl have to eat this shit
They eat these poor creatures because they are disgusting shithole dwellers, not because of your class nonsense. They eat it for the same reason your people drink a mixture of cows blood and milk. Just primitives doing what primitives do.

Forum List

Back