Who's English is the best here?

For you, it's the language barrier

there is no barriers for Russians, we'll have our way anywhere.

OK, dear candidates, name yourselves and then we'll have a poll. I've heard you have democracy there? Or I mixed it up with Britain...
When you say "there is ..." in English you need to look to the predicate for your subject noun.

If that noun is plural (like in your sentence -- barriers) then you need to change it to "there are ...".

"There are no barriers for Russians."

The rule is the same in Greek, Latin, German, French, and presumably Russian too.

Please list all candidates. Foreigners are not counted, I want to speak pure American English :)
I may be the first to question if you're asking "Who's English..." or "Whose English...?

I don't know since I can't be bothered much with semi-illiterate posters and am far too lazy to go back and check.
Actually Comrade Johnson is a very literate Russian journalist.

English is just not his forte.

But his English is certainly not bad.

Me. You've already asked this and I've already told you.

Sure, sure, but I'd like several guys (and maybe some ladies) to copy so that I wouldn't sound like you completely :)

Add some y'alls to your speech if you want real American and not that snooty yankee english stuff.
I actually put this onto a test for college students as a bonus question.

Only one girl from Dallas got the right answer:

"What is the plural of y'all?"
y'all lolll

Sure, sure, but I'd like several guys (and maybe some ladies) to copy so that I wouldn't sound like you completely :)

Add some y'alls to your speech if you want real American and not that snooty yankee english stuff.

y'all lolll
koshergrl is from/in Oregon.

That is the West (USA) Coast equivalent of West Virginia.

West Virginia is a coal mining sh!t hole near the East (USA) Coast.

:D

y'all lolll

No, but you may tell yourself that if it discourages you from visiting.

OK, dear candidates, name yourselves and then we'll have a poll. I've heard you have democracy there? Or I mixed it up with Britain...
You are confusing Greek with English again.

Democracy is a Greek word. Same as idiot.

What's Malakkia?
Obviously also Greek.

y'all lolll

No, but you may tell yourself that if it discourages you from visiting.
Oregon has GREAT salmon fishing though not as good as Alaska.

Oregon has GREAT deer hunting though not as good as Oklahoma.

Oregon has great lumber harvesting and paper mills though not as good as Wash State.

Oregon has GREAT liqueur wineries -- best in the USA.

Everything else about Oregon is pure white trash however -- same as West Virginia.

y'all lolll

He's correct though. Other than y'all we do not have a word to express the second person plural that makes it clear it's a plural and not a singular. Youse (pronounced "yuz") just sounds stoopit. That's why I use it here --- it's more specifically plural than the ambiguous you.

But the plural of y'all, i.e. "multiple instances of the word y'all" would have to be y'alls. A more challenging question might have been the plural possessive, i.e. "that which belongs to you-plural". If you go with y'all's then you have two apostrophes, one a contraction, the other a possessive. And that's messy.

I learned a contraction here in Appalachia for the first person possessive demonstrative pronoun -- your'n (your + one). Standard English of course has yours to express this but as it turns out your'n is older.

What's Malakkia?
Obviously also Greek.

Malakia (with 1 k, not two) is a stupid thing, from the word "malaka", the Greek version of the British word "wanker", someone who masturbates non-stop.

I will throw my proverbial hat into the ring. In addition to my discerning perception, impeccable good taste, and extensive vocabulary, I am quite adept at spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
boedicca is not bad.

I doubt she understands advanced grammar and syntax however.

But she definitely is college or grad school or professional level.

Oh my look at you set yourself up as something special lol.

when ppl do that I know they fancy themselves as wordsmiths. They never are, tho.

What's Malakkia?
Obviously also Greek.

Malakia (with 1 k, not two) is a stupid thing, from the word "malaka", the Greek version of the British word "wanker", someone who masturbates non-stop.

British English masculine .......... Feminine

Wanker ....................................... Bitch

I will throw my proverbial hat into the ring. In addition to my discerning perception, impeccable good taste, and extensive vocabulary, I am quite adept at spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
boedicca is not bad.

I doubt she understands advanced grammar and syntax however.

But she definitely is college or grad school or professional level.

Oh my look at you set yourself up as something special lol.

when ppl do that I know they fancy themselves as wordsmiths. They never are, tho.
That's more like it -- Oregonian English.

Forum List

Back