Who is your favorite president and why?

It's a really tough question to answer. It's far easier to find faults and list them, but as far as a 'favorite' I guess it would be the one who never ran because he/she/they had the wisdom to see they could get more accomplished outside of that ego trip, and did so.

Presidents are after all overrated. They were never supposed to be kings, just executives. Wisdom is silent. Properly exercised it does its work and goes home before ego gets its pants on.

It's a really tough question to answer. It's far easier to find faults and list them, but as far as a 'favorite' I guess it would be the one who never ran because he/she/they had the wisdom to see they could get more accomplished outside of that ego trip, and did so.

Presidents are after all overrated. They were never supposed to be kings, just executives. Wisdom is silent. Properly exercised it does its work and goes home before ego gets its pants on.
I'll grant the wisdom of not running for president. So, who is your favorite never-ran, and why?

I'll grant the wisdom of not running for president. So, who is your favorite never-ran, and why?

I guess that leaves everybody except the 44 who did.

I know, what a cop-out right...

Any of us who have paid attention to history will recognize certain traits in previous presidents that we like. Which president is your favorite, and why?
My favorite president, all-time, is Abraham Lincoln. He did more to change this country's direction than any other president. And he, of course, paid with his life because of this. My favorite president during my lifetime (I was born in 1961) would be our current president, Donald J. Trump. He's done more and has helped our country more in his first term than most previous two-term presidents did in eight years. And with him most likely being re-elected for a second term, and having ANOTHER four years at the helm, he could easily become my favorite president all-time.

Any of us who have paid attention to history will recognize certain traits in previous presidents that we like. Which president is your favorite, and why?
My favorite president, all-time, is Abraham Lincoln. He did more to change this country's direction than any other president. And he, of course, paid with his life because of this. My favorite president during my lifetime (I was born in 1961) would be our current president, Donald J. Trump. He's done more and has helped our country more in his first term than most previous two-term presidents did in eight years. And with him most likely being re-elected for a second term, and having ANOTHER four years at the helm, he could easily become my favorite president all-time.
You do have a good point about Lincoln. And Trump has moved this country in an unprecedented direction. Let's see how his next four years progress. He faces some unbelievable obstacles. I have faith in President Trump.

You do have a good point about Lincoln. And Trump has moved this country in an unprecedented direction. Let's see how his next four years progress. He faces some unbelievable obstacles. I have faith in President Trump.
Thank you for your nice, INTELLIGENT response. Nicely done.

I guess that leaves everybody except the 44 who did.

I know, what a cop-out right...

One is tempted to go with FDR for the two crises he led his country through, with unparalleled inspiration.

Again, not without flaws, as no one is. But he left us too soon. His successor was, to put it mildly, woefully inept.

And of course in any absolute exercise like this, including "best"/"worst", a sitting POTUS is ineligible, as his term has not yet been defined.

Personally, Teddy Roosevelt is the last MAN who won the office.
Eisenhower was a close second, though.

Pretty sure the next eighteen were all men too. Check me on that.
UHHMMM, No competent female contenders to date. I'd be willing to vote for any woman who was competent, though.

Personally, Teddy Roosevelt is the last MAN who won the office.
Eisenhower was a close second, though.

Pretty sure the next eighteen were all men too. Check me on that.
UHHMMM, No competent female contenders to date. I'd be willing to vote for any woman who was competent, though.

Oh there have been female contenders (Margaret Chase Smith comes immediately to mind, whom I've noted many times the Repubs should have run in 1964, would have done them a lot better than Goldwater) --- but I thought your question was about Presidents.

Grover Cleveland. Mr. Veto.

He opposed special interests, he supported the idea of strictly limited government and he vetoed much of the big-government legislation that came across his desk.

I believe that many of FDR's policies correlate accurately with many we are currently facing. I do not honestly know enough about Truman to comment.

Well, Truman belongs on the list of 'worsts' not this one, but he was a dumb insecure, incurious and easily led-by-the-nose little man who mostly wanted to show up his father. Not what we could call deep. The so-called Cold War has a lot to do with his failings.

Grover Cleveland. Mr. Veto.

He opposed special interests, he supported the idea of strictly limited government and he vetoed much of the big-government legislation that came across his desk.

Plus, the historians insist he was two people.

Forum List

Back