Who has enjoyed Anchor Steam Beer?

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
I started drinking Anchor Steam Beer when working in construction in San Francisco, CA around 1958. Anchor was an exceptional beer and not many stores carried it. I would stop at a Bar around San Francisco after work to drink some. I was not driving my car on those days. It closed down last June.

It was a very old Brewery that started in the 1800s.

A customer says this:
I agree that steam beer was ā€œthe beer,ā€ but the Christmas releases were great. There are so many mediocre California craft beer companies that continue to thrive even though their beer is meh at best. Anchor doesnā€™t deserve to fold when inferior brands thrive, and I agree the rebrand was weird and mishandled.

According to this article, at least some of Anchorā€™s current and former staff blame Sapporoā€™s mismanagement. Itā€™s an interesting read, and itā€™s being updated as the news evolves. Iā€™m going to see if theyā€™ll let me share it in a new post.

Iā€™m bummed, and I really hope a new, ideally local buyer comes in at the 11th hour to prevent them from folding permanently.

I started drinking Anchor Steam Beer when working in construction in San Francisco, CA around 1958. Anchor was an exceptional beer and not many stores carried it. I would stop at a Bar around San Francisco after work to drink some. I was not driving my car on those days. It closed down last June.

It was a very old Brewery that started in the 1800s.

A customer says this:
I agree that steam beer was ā€œthe beer,ā€ but the Christmas releases were great. There are so many mediocre California craft beer companies that continue to thrive even though their beer is meh at best. Anchor doesnā€™t deserve to fold when inferior brands thrive, and I agree the rebrand was weird and mishandled.

According to this article, at least some of Anchorā€™s current and former staff blame Sapporoā€™s mismanagement. Itā€™s an interesting read, and itā€™s being updated as the news evolves. Iā€™m going to see if theyā€™ll let me share it in a new post.

Iā€™m bummed, and I really hope a new, ideally local buyer comes in at the 11th hour to prevent them from folding permanently.

They could move the brewery to a place that doesn't hate businesses, and doesn't have human feces all over the streets.

I used to drink it 40 years ago when I lived in the Bay Area.
Good beer and not overly expensive.

Hate to see it fold but it tends to happen when you sell out to a beer giant. Quality goes down and they donā€™t really care

I used to drink it 40 years ago when I lived in the Bay Area.
Good beer and not overly expensive.

Hate to see it fold but it tends to happen when you sell out to a beer giant. Quality goes down and they donā€™t really care
I was not aware that Sapporo bought the company. Or that they shut it down. I now drink Sierra Nevada Pale Ale though it is not cheap.

I was not aware that Sapporo bought the company. Or that they shut it down. I now drink Sierra Nevada Pale Ale though it is not cheap.
None of the craft beers are cheap--not even the AB supposed craft beers, Space Dust, Blue Moon etc. Anchor steam was novel when I started drinking it in the early 70s, but I quickly burned out on it. I prefer a good, hoppy, imperial IPA. I won't miss Anchor Steam.

I have an update on the Brewery owned by Anchor Steam Beer.

Prospective buyers are lining up for their chance to buy Anchor Brewing Co., the historic San Francisco brewery that Japanese beer giant Sapporo shut down last summer after 127 years. Multiple bids for Anchorā€™s assets are under review, and a winner is expected to be chosen by the end of the month, said Sapporo and Anchor spokesperson Sam Singer.
Now, the question becomes whether Anchorā€™s new steward will be another large corporation ā€” which, one bidder warns, might not be in San Franciscoā€™s best interest.
ā€œMy concern is that Anchor ends up in the hands of a large conglomerate who doesnā€™t understand San Francisco culture and history, and destroys the brand for good,ā€ said Mike Walsh, a 30-year Potrero Hill resident who hopes to buy the brewery with a group of investors.

My concern is that Anchor ends up in the hands of a large conglomerate who doesnā€™t understand San Francisco culture and history, and destroys the brand for good,ā€ said Mike Walsh, a 30-year Potrero Hill resident who hopes to buy the brewery with a group of investors.

He doesnā€™t stand a chance against a major corporate brewer who just wants to buy the Anchor Steam name.
They then pass off warm piss as Anchor Steam

Last edited:

Forum List

Back