Who are the Israelis?

Palestinian Information Center’s Timeline of Jerusalem Admits Their History Begins With Islamic Conquest

The Palestinian Information Center has posted this timeline of the history of Jerusalem.

For some strange, inexplicable reason, it only begins in the year 638,
despite Jerusalem being around for over 4,000 years.

timeline.jpg

State of Jerusalem: The 'Secular' Struggle

In Jerusalem, nothing is quite as it seems, and the complex relationships among communities can change rapidly. “State of Jerusalem” is a three-part miniseries that describes the relationships
among the various communities in the city.

The series, originally released in Hebrew,
was adapted to English by the Times of Israel.

Book Of Maccabees I: Yehonatan The Diplomat | Decolonizing Our Week

There are many ways for Jews to reconnect to our people's ancient approach to experiencing the week.

Maccabees-Moshe-Katz-@art_ofthe_covenant_-770x770.png

Have you ever wondered why we measure the hour, minute, and second in numbers? The day of the week in names? The date of the month in numbers? The month in names? And the year in numbers? Or is that just one of those things that makes sense, so you don’t really think about it?

In this series of articles, I’m inviting you to think about all kinds of little things that we take for granted in our Western world. Because in a Hebrew mindset, many of these things are different.

I don’t know whether ancient Israelites measured hours and minutes in numbers. In Shmuel I 8:5, for example, the prophet never says, “Assemble all Israel at Mizpa at 2pm”

In B’reishit 22:3, Avraham saddled his donkey “early the next morning,” not “at 7am the next day.”

I don’t know of any references to numeric time anywhere in the TaNaKh, though I could be wrong. So my guess is that time is measured by the position of the sun, with designations like the ones mentioned in my first article, about the day — erev, layla, boker, etc.

Even when we depend upon clock-based hours, for example when a minyan gathers before the workday, as opposed to when the sun rises, the Hebrew concept of clock-time is different. If daylight hours are shorter in the winter, then an hour is less than 60 minutes. So today, as I write this in the month of Tevet, I’m informed by Chabad.org’s Zmanim calculator that a “proportional hour” of daytime is currently 45 minutes and 37 seconds.

My mind is blown by this. Is yours? And if so, think about this: why is it that some months have more days than others, and some years have an extra day (or month in the Hebrew calendar) than others? And since we make those adjustments for time — then why wouldn’t we make a similar re-calculation for hours?

It’s all part of decolonizing, my friends. Or perhaps we can think of it as de-mechanizing.

Israeli upcoming cultural revolution - Hebrew perspective on the Matrix

Behind the Headlines: How ‘Tehran’ star Liraz Charhi’s Iranian-Israeli identity shaped her career

Liraz Charhi, a triple-threat Persian Israeli, sits down with Times of Israel Opinion & Blogs Editor Miriam Herschlag to discuss her acting career, her ambitious music projects, and how her Iranian heritage shapes everything she does.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back