Who are the Israelis?

Eden Ben Zaken - named Israel's 'singer of the decade'.

In Hebrew tradition Israel are compared to the Moon, and the Prophets are versed in song...
And as if Bath Kol of Nishmat Yisrael went out and declared 'this day ended -
I miss You in every word'

Bezalel Smotrich calls Reform, Conservative Jews 'brothers'
Religious Zionist Party leader praises Anglo immigrants to Israel
for "knowing what it means to pay a price for their values"

Right-wing Religious Zionist Party leader Bezalel Smotrich spoke favorably about Reform and Conservative Jews on Tuesday night in an interview with the religious-Zionist Mizrachi organization’s website.

The interview was part of an election event with eight party representatives, including six party heads, which will be broadcast on the website on Sunday.

“We need to maintain a dialogue with North American Jewish communities because we are a Jewish state that is the home of the entire Jewish people,” Smotrich said. “This does not mean there are no conflicts, and this does not mean there are no disputes. There are many things I disagree about with Reform and Conservative Jewry. But I understand that we are brothers. We need to speak and have a dialogue and look for common ground.”

He spoke at the same time that the United Torah Judaism Party released a campaign ad that compared non-Orthodox converts to dogs. Smotrich himself was critical of a Supreme Court ruling on Monday that Reform and Conservative conversions performed in Israel would be accepted by the state for the purposes of obtaining citizenship under the Law of Return. Until now, those conversions were valid only if performed outside of Israel.

Smotrich learned about the challenges facing North American Jews three years ago, when he visited Jewish communities in the US as part of a delegation of MKs sponsored by the Jewish Agency and the Jewish Federations of North America.

“Suddenly, an entire world of Diaspora Jewry that I was not familiar with was revealed to me,” he said. “I have maintained a connection with the leadership of the Jewish Federations of North America because I really understand that many things we do here in Israel have an impact on what happens overseas.”

Smotrich also praised immigrants to Israel from English-speaking countries.

“This important community, which made aliyah and left behind in the US a good life, family, a livelihood and a good environment, cares about the State of Israel and the people of Israel more than about its own interests,” he said. “The Anglo-Saxon community knows what Zionism is and knows what it means to pay a price for its values.”

Smotrich said the challenges facing Jews from North America include maintaining their sense of community and finding housing solutions, employment and education that fit with their language and mentality and what they want to achieve.

“I didn’t face that test of disconnecting myself from my natural environment, and I haven’t had to deal with the challenges of language,” he said. “Those who did it and sacrificed themselves know what they sacrificed themselves for.”

Last edited:
Coding academy to offer free tech training for Olim

Israel Tech Challenge will be offering eligible new immigrants and returning citizens two free programs that give them a foothold into the high-tech industry

In 2021, Israel Tech Challenge will be offering eligible Olim and returning citizens two free programs that will grant them a foothold into the high-tech industry and its steady flow of high-paying career opportunities. This initiative is a partnership between ITC and the Ministry of Aliyah to offer fully subsidized Front-end Web Development and Data Analytics training for Olim who qualify for the high-level studies.

The Front-End Development, starting April 18 and again in July, teaches advanced HTML, JavaScript and React, highly in-demand programming languages. The Data Analytics and SQL program begins in July 2021 and opens the door to careers in the data world in both high-tech and non-tech companies.

The New Olim and Returning Citizens programs are taught in English, part-time in the evenings and Friday mornings. The tuition is free for qualifying applicants due to the joint venture with the Israeli Ministry of Aliyah and Integration and by Israel Tech Challenge. Additionally, a monthly stipend may be offered to eligible candidates.

students-in-class.jpg

Jewish Agency to develop programs for Aliyah of medical professionals

The Jewish Agency for Israel’s Board of Governors will convene this week to adopt new guidelines that reinforce crucial elements of the organization’s mission serving the pressing needs of Israeli society and world Jewry during the pandemic era, including the introduction of comprehensive programs for physicians and medical professionals from around the world who will join the Israeli health care system.

As the world marks one year since the start of the pandemic, The Jewish Agency’s new guidelines will focus on continued Aliyah, as well as the rehabilitation of pandemic-stricken communities in Israel and around the world.

Hundreds of global Jewish leaders will join the virtual event. The meeting will be led by Jewish Agency chairman of the board Michael Siegal and chairman of the executive Isaac Herzog.

In 2020, over 950 medical and paramedical professionals immigrated to Israel, including more than 300 physicians who made Aliyah with assistance from The Jewish Agency.

Accordingly, The Jewish Agency decided to develop targeted programs for immigrant doctors, facilitating their rapid integration into hospitals and clinics throughout the country.

The programs will enable medical professionals to start studying Hebrew abroad. Upon arrival in Israel, they will be integrated into joint programs with the Aliyah and Integration Ministry and Health Ministry, as well as into Masa Israel Journey programs.

“This is the time to strengthen Israeli society, including through the arrival of hundreds of new olim doctors who will join medical teams working day and night on the Covid-19 health crisis,” Herzog said. “Aliyah holds huge potential to boost the Israeli economy.”

A fitting winner of the 2021 Israel Prize: Yehuda Meshi Zahav
One moving story showing the important contribution of Zaka, the organization founded by Meshi Zahav. Opinion.

ATZROg913KS-ABXSKnRMGK-KR6mBUX7Za5_V9RlEmP0fYZ4X0XwF7w2Tpz534sm2CviCBk9b4cI9AdCKv5Z3VM8gnDeKkc4lUmIxk3tBe0ApKjZysFoLjHeMUFwQif7hrb9KFlo

Yehuda Meshi Zahav, founder and chairman of ZAKA, is a fitting winner of the 2021 Israel Prize in the category of “Lifetime Achievement and Special Contribution to Society and the State,” announced this week by Israel’s Education Minister, Yoav Galant.

For three decades now Meshi-Zahav has led Zaka, one of Israel’s leading emergency response operations, both at home and worldwide. In addition to providing emergency response services and assisting in search and rescue operations, Zaka also helps in the grim task of finding and identifying body parts following terror attacks, air crashes and other disasters.

I met Meshi Zahav a number of years ago and will never forget the following story he told:

Following the devastating earthquake that struck the island of Haiti in 2010, an eight story university building collapsed in Port-au-Prince and trapped eight students underneath the rubble. The students’ cries could be heard from outside and the Haitian military did everything they could to locate the young Haitians.

Soon after the rescue operation began, members of ZAKA, a leading Israeli rescue and recovery NGO, were dispatched to the scene and took control. The six-man Israeli delegation had arrived in Haiti aboard a Mexican air force Hercules, immediately after completing their work in the recovery and identification efforts following a helicopter crash in Mexico City, which had occurred days before the earthquake in Haiti.

They quickly made their way to the university building and after 38 hours of working around the clock with the Mexican military delegation and other Jewish volunteers from Mexico, they succeeded in rescuing the students alive from the rubble. The collapse took place on a Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath, and amid the wreckage and chaos, the ZAKA delegation took time out to recite Shabbat prayers. This led to the strange sight of Jewish Orthodox men wrapped in prayer shawls standing amongst the destroyed structures.

At that point large crowds of Haitians gathered at the site and stared in shock at the men as they prayed facing Jerusalem. They told the Israelis that they looked like angels who had come to save their fellow countrymen. When the prayers ended, the local people crowded around the ZAKA delegation and kissed their prayer shawls.

The prize selection committee said in a statement that Meshi-Zahav has made an “outstanding” contribution to advancing assistance at disaster events and creating unity in Israeli society while having “a sense of purpose and a true belief in the need to build bridges and hold dialogue.”

Israeli Deni Avdija named to NBA’s Rising Stars team
20-year-old Washington Wizards player had an up-and-down rookie season,
in part because of contracting COVID-19

JTA — As he tries to acclimate to the NBA, Deni Avdija got some much-needed good news: The Israeli first-year pro was picked for the Rising Stars Challenge featuring the league’s 20 top rookies and second-year players.

Avdija, the Washington Wizards’ No. 1 draft pick this season and No. 9 overall, was to represent the World Team against a US squad during All-Star Weekend. But due to COVID-19 restrictions, they won’t play the game this year, as the All-Star events are condensed into just one day of activities on March 7 in Atlanta.

The league’s assistant coaches voted for the Rising Stars representatives.
Avdija, 20, has had an up-and-down rookie season, in part because of contracting COVID-19, which sidelined him for three weeks in January. Shortly after he returned to action, the 6-9 forward lost his spot in the starting lineup. (Avdija had started his first 16 NBA games in part because of injuries to veteran players.)

His coach, Scott Brooks, said he hasn’t lost faith in his prized rookie.

“Rui [Hachimura] and Deni are a big part of our future,” Brooks said Wednesday after practice, also noting the team’s No. 1 draft pick from 2019. “Deni hasn’t played as well as he started the season, but that’s also part of being a young player. You have to be able to fight through it. Adversity helps. Everybody goes through it.”

Avdija is averaging 6 points and 4.6 rebounds in 21 minutes per game.

“I’ve learned a lot of things, faced against a lot of good players — all in all it made me a better player,” Avdija told reporters on Wednesday. “I’m doing whatever I can to help the team win and what the coach needs me to do on the floor.”

avdija-640x400.jpg

Of course Palestinians will be excluded.

Of course Palestinians will be excluded.

Actually depends, 'Olim' usually applies to Jewish immigrants,
but also those who marry Israeli Jews, Israeli Arabs etc.

Rethinking the Future: Israel's Emerging Cultural Revolution

'The Rabbi of the Nations' | Rabbi Oury Sherki with Att. Tamir Dortal | About Meaning

Quote of the day:

"The secular public are orthodox in Israel.
There're almost no 'reform-seculars', there're 'orthodox-seculars'.
As if to say, the secular is one who doesn't implement Judaism along its details, when for him/her Judaism is the orthodoxy - that's the norm in Israel. Therefore the thought that orthodoxy is not accepted by the majority of population in Israel, what they try to disseminate,
is simply incorrect. The orthodoxy is the legitimate Judaism, in the eyes of almost all the population in Israel."

...About 10 years ago I've asked myself a question that very much bothered me - why is the
process of redemption stuck? And I've noticed that, it can be said, the main inhibition to the processes of redemption - is the value argument between the Right and the Left."

(Hebrew only)

Last edited:
RE: Who Are The Israelis?
SUBTOPIC: Protesters
⁜→ P F Tinmore, et al,

BLUF: Usually I get your point... Not this time.

Women in bras confront Ultra-Orthodox Jews protesting against Eurovision

(COMMENT)

This is an Israeli "domestic matter." What is your point here?

1611604183365.png

Most Respectfully,
R

Forum List

Back