Who actually wants the south to rise again?

Do you support the south "rising again" to form the Confederacy?

• Total voters
Only to the extent that if that is what the people of those states chose.

So you have no personal attachment to the Confederacy in other words. That's my position as well.

No modern personal attachment. All my ancestors who were of military age served in Confederate units. I honor their struggle against overwhelming odds, and the inherent right of all men for political independence.
ETA
Had that government survived, it is unlikely that it would be any less violently coercive than the current one here or anywhere else.

This is why I claim no support for the Confederacy, because it was a government and all governments rest on violence and coercion.

Civil war is not something that should happen to any nation. Look at every nation that has either had one or is currently having one. It is not worth the pain and suffering in my opinion. If anyone wants a Confederacy then it must be done with the full consent of both sides.

I'd be more than happy to see the US divide between progressives and libertarians.

98 to 2: I don't think so, son.

I'm not talking about the Senate, I'm saying you and all your big government pals go have fun and tax the producers and spread the wealth, and we who believe in liberty can then go back to founding principles, and you can try and invade us when your economy tanks and the rabble riot, but your quest will fail since all you progressives don't believe in the 2nd Amendment.

Last edited:
Civil war is not something that should happen to any nation. Look at every nation that has either had one or is currently having one. It is not worth the pain and suffering in my opinion. If anyone wants a Confederacy then it must be done with the full consent of both sides.

The right of secession is a question for another thread, and one I'd certainly have no issue taking part in. However, I'd like to keep this thread as focused on the core issue of the Confederate government in particular as possible.

I voted no. I voted this way with the assumption that the question was about the south rising again in its form as it once existed. Even if it were to rise as a confederacy with new ideas based on smaller government and greater guarantees of liberty for all of its citizens, I would still have serious reservations, since I am put off by anything that smells of treason.

Yet, if within the system, there was a stand to any attempts to thwart the Constitution, and there were threats to our liberty from a national government that has become dictatorial and oppressive, I might have some serious thinking to do.

The south should have been allowed to secede.

Instead, it was devastated by the north.

That's sort of like saying the shiftless uncle that you allowed to live in the 2nd bedroom after he was kicked out of his own house and made trouble before should be allowed to divide your house.

It's time to take an official USMB headcount on this issue. So here's exactly what I'm asking:

Do you wish the Confederate States of America had won the Civil War?

Do you hope that the south secedes and once again reestablishes the Confederate States of America?

What I am not asking:

Your position on slavery.

Your position on Abraham Lincoln or his policies.

Your position on secession.

So I'm basically asking whether you have some kind of attachment to the government that called itself the Confederate States of America, and whether you would like to see it reestablished.

My Great great grand fathers did not give their lives fighting for the government of the Confederacy they gave it for their country, their homeland, they gave it for principles that they held dear. One of my Great great grand fathers was captured right before the war ended, held and died in prison after the surrender. Buried at Hellmire

BTW
Do I want the south to rise again? It already has

Do I want the Confederacy to rice again? no but under certain conditions would I support secession

BTW

It has?

Do I want the Confederacy to rice again? no but under certain conditions would I support secession

Please share what those conditions might be? They wouldn't include slavery, would they? After all, you stated your forefathers fought for ideas most dear.

Just wondering.

BTW

It has?

Please share what those conditions might be? They wouldn't include slavery, would they? After all, you stated your forefathers fought for ideas most dear.

Just wondering.

I'm just wondering how tight that mask is?

It's time to take an official USMB headcount on this issue. So here's exactly what I'm asking:

Do you wish the Confederate States of America had won the Civil War?

Do you hope that the south secedes and once again reestablishes the Confederate States of America?

What I am not asking:

Your position on slavery.

Your position on Abraham Lincoln or his policies.

Your position on secession.

So I'm basically asking whether you have some kind of attachment to the government that called itself the Confederate States of America, and whether you would like to see it reestablished.

My Great great grand fathers did not give their lives fighting for the government of the Confederacy they gave it for their country, their homeland, they gave it for principles that they held dear. One of my Great great grand fathers was captured right before the war ended, held and died in prison after the surrender. Buried at Hellmire

BTW

I've been living in Maryland since the 1970's, but was originally from Connecticut, and was brought up there (based on my public school education) accepting the black/white good/evil view of the War Between the States. While Maryland fought for the Union, it had many sympathizers and participants in the Southern cause who still get together each year to honor their memory. Shown below is a image that I took near where I live in Baltimore, of the ceremony that is held each year at the site of a statue depicting Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson. People also come out to protest the occurrence of this ceremony, as depicted in the second image I took at this event. Several of the protesters were also descendants of soldiers who had fought for the Confederacy.

Ceremony Honoring Confederate Soldiers (above)

Protestors at Ceremony Honoring Confederate Soldiers

That's sort of like saying the shiftless uncle that you allowed to live in the 2nd bedroom after he was kicked out of his own house and made trouble before should be allowed to divide your house.

That's the worst analogy ever. The southern states were equal in every way to the northern states. They weren't left overs from somewhere else that the northern states graciously and magnanimously allowed to join the Union.

That's the worst analogy ever. The southern states were equal in every way to the northern states. They weren't left overs from somewhere else that the northern states graciously and magnanimously allowed to join the Union.

You failed to understand the analogy.

Entirely possible. Could you explain it more clearly?

Let me highlight what I see as the key parts;

The way I read it was that the only people who want the South to rise again are those who are still ticked off that their ancestors failed when they tried to succeed initially. It is not entire population in the southern states who want to do this, only a certain disaffected subset of the people. CO is a good example where a subset want to "divide" the "house" because they don't have the ability to have their own way in the entire "house".

So it wasn't intended as a slur against the southern states themselves, just a clarification as to who is trying to push for this and what their motivations are.

The way I read it was that the only people who want the South to rise again are those who are still ticked off that their ancestors failed when they tried to succeed initially. It is not entire population in the southern states who want to do this, only a certain disaffected subset of the people. CO is a good example where a subset want to "divide" the "house" because they don't have the ability to have their own way in the entire "house".

So it wasn't intended as a slur against the southern states themselves, just a clarification as to who is trying to push for this and what their motivations are.

Except that it was in reference to the southern states originally seceding, not to any people who may want to secede today.

Except that it was in reference to the southern states originally seceding, not to any people who may want to secede today.

Nope, the key word in there is "after".

Nope, the key word in there is "after".

Read the post he was respond to.

Forum List

Back