White House says Republicans co-own legacy of record $19 trillion debt

If spending had continued to grow at the same rate as established by Scrub (exclusive of Iraqnam and Recession Remediation), the federal budget would be roughly 25% higher than what will be spent in FY 2016.......

I don't deny your chart slope was up late 2000s'. note, GWB also had bad costly stuff happen (listed many times) during his years from start to finish. Deficit in 2007 was ~150 bil?

No one put a gun to Scrubby's head and told him to vaporize the Surplus, invade Iraqnam, and hand Big Pharma the Medicare Part D boondoggle....
oh come now slim, obama did all those things also only on a different level. Increased the debt, invasion of syria, and the biggest tax hike in American history later to be defined as obamacare.

Do you think the meter on Scrub's fiscal excesses stopped running when he left DC?

We haven't "invaded Syria"....

The biggest tax hikes in American history are

1982 -Reagan

1993 - Clinton....
Obamacare tax 1.7 trillion
Clinton/Reagan 235 billion max

I feel Republicans own all of it after the disgraceful mess they handed Obama.

Kill the economy and then whine it's Obama's fault there is no revenue. That's what Republicans did. The fuckers.
Hmm, the legislative branch got controlled by the gop under clinton... The economy improved
The legislative branch got controlled by the gop under Obama... and the economy improved

Can't deny that no matter how ya spin it.

You COULD try to list the legislative initiatives you believe contributed to these improvements......
Would you care to list one damn thing obama has done to improve the economy?

Kill the economy and then whine it's Obama's fault there is no revenue. That's what Republicans did. The fuckers.
Hmm, the legislative branch got controlled by the gop under clinton... The economy improved
The legislative branch got controlled by the gop under Obama... and the economy improved

You COULD try to list the legislative initiatives you believe contributed to these improvements......

Why Obama deserves some credit for the nation’s economic progress

Gary Burtless, an economist with the Brookings Institution, rattled off several Obama initiatives that helped. Burtless cites things Obama did or supported before he was sworn in, including passage of the Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, and the selection of an economic team that was focused on rescuing a financial system in dire straits.

"The emergency actions taken by the Fed, the Treasury, and the Congress in the fall of 2008 and winter and spring of 2009 (are) almost certainly the most important factors that kept a severe recession from metastasizing into a Great Depression," Burtless said. "President Obama deserves major credit for that."

Burtless also credits Obama’s reappointment of Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, the auto bailout and the economic stimulus, the $787 billion program of spending initiatives and tax cuts that Obama passed with the help of a Democratic Congress. "The president deserves full marks for pushing and getting those actions," he said.

Those who say Obama deserves some credit offer a pretty stark alternative.

"It's pretty hard to celebrate 7.9 percent unemployment or an economy that is 9 million jobs below its trend level -- but it could have been worse," said Dean Baker, co-director of the liberal Center for Economic and Policy Research.

Bruce Bartlett, an economist who worked for the Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush administrations but who has recently clashed with conservatives, added that "it’s too easy to criticize Obama based on some theoretical ideal shaped by hindsight. The critical question, it seems to me, is whether Republican policies would have worked better. I believe there is no question that they would have worked much worse. The dominant Republican view seems to be that the government should have done nothing. The party view seems to be that all stimulus, fiscal or monetary, is bad, or at least worthless."

Can President Obama claim economic victory?

was this time that the federal government engaged in a tremendous amount of spending on bullshit like renewable energy upstarts (Solyndra), the stimulus, and becoming an equity holder in a major auto manufacturer.

Oh god no, not Solyndra. The government made a loan of 580 million.
Oh god that's why we are bankrupt.
Get some new material dude. 580 million is chump change.

And those auto loans? Were you talking about those loans that were paid back? That was terrible wasn't it? The paying the loan back that is.

Your position on republicans shut down of the government is to stupid to comment on.

Try again. Maybe you could post something interesting. Instead of bullshit.

Congress is spending more now than ever.
They are all complicit
That's odd? I could have sworn you were just blaming Obama for not working with Congress. Point out how the Republican House, the body given the authority to create spending bills, is spending more than ever before .... and look how quickly you shift to include Democrats with blame. :lol:
You are just not very bright, sir. I have stated nothing that is inconsistent.
Of course ya did. You blamed Obama for the increase to the debt for not working with Congress to lower it; when in fact, it's the House which controls spending. All the president can do is approve or reject their bills.
Yes, pursuant to our federal constitution, taxes must originate in the House of Representatives. For the first 2 years of Obama's presidency the House was controlled by Democrats. That is about 29% of Obama's time in office. During this time the ACA became law. Also, it was this time that the federal government engaged in a tremendous amount of spending on bullshit like renewable energy upstarts (Solyndra), the stimulus, and becoming an equity holder in a major auto manufacturer. In addition, under Obama there has been a tremendous pudding away of money by executive agencies - lowered standards for Social Security Disability awards and enhancing tax credits like the EIC, resulting in huge "refunds" like never before seen.

Obama then proceeded to hold America and the GOP hostage by refusing to negotiate anything, resulting in a government shutdown. Granted, Congressional Republicans have been spineless. However, they cannot get ANYTHING done that needs to be done without agreeing to Obama's demands for increased spending and increased taxes.

Look, you clearly have no capacity for analyzing these things. Moreover, you just are not that intelligent. Don't bother me with your grade school level analysis.
I'm still laughing at you for blaming Obama for increased debt when Republicans control the House ... the House controls spending ... and spending is at an all-time high. :eusa_doh:

The other half of the debt increase belongs to revenue, which fell through the floor in 2008-2009 due to the Great Recession Bush handed Obama. That too greatly increased the debt; having nothing to do with Obama's policies.

They are all complicit
That's odd? I could have sworn you were just blaming Obama for not working with Congress. Point out how the Republican House, the body given the authority to create spending bills, is spending more than ever before .... and look how quickly you shift to include Democrats with blame. :lol:
Of course ya did. You blamed Obama for the increase to the debt for not working with Congress to lower it; when in fact, it's the House which controls spending. All the president can do is approve or reject their bills.
Yes, pursuant to our federal constitution, taxes must originate in the House of Representatives. For the first 2 years of Obama's presidency the House was controlled by Democrats. That is about 29% of Obama's time in office. During this time the ACA became law. Also, it was this time that the federal government engaged in a tremendous amount of spending on bullshit like renewable energy upstarts (Solyndra), the stimulus, and becoming an equity holder in a major auto manufacturer. In addition, under Obama there has been a tremendous pudding away of money by executive agencies - lowered standards for Social Security Disability awards and enhancing tax credits like the EIC, resulting in huge "refunds" like never before seen.

Obama then proceeded to hold America and the GOP hostage by refusing to negotiate anything, resulting in a government shutdown. Granted, Congressional Republicans have been spineless. However, they cannot get ANYTHING done that needs to be done without agreeing to Obama's demands for increased spending and increased taxes.

Look, you clearly have no capacity for analyzing these things. Moreover, you just are not that intelligent. Don't bother me with your grade school level analysis.
I'm still laughing at you for blaming Obama for increased debt when Republicans control the House ... the House controls spending ... and spending is at an all-time high. :eusa_doh:

The other half of the debt increase belongs to revenue, which fell through the floor in 2008-2009 due to the Great Recession Bush handed Obama. That too greatly increased the debt; having nothing to do with Obama's policies.
With half of you assholes here it is like talking to a fucking brick wall, do you know that? Being stupid is one thing. But being both stupid and obstinate earns you the label "stupid asshole."

Is this a political forum or the repository of the short bus?

With half of you assholes here it is like talking to a fucking brick wall, do you know that? Being stupid is one thing. But being both stupid and obstinate earns you the label "stupid asshole."

Your vacuity is noted. Meanwhile, the increase to the debt remains due to the loss in revenue from the Great Recession and increased spending, which the House controls. You blaming stimulus measures taken to stop the hemorrhaging, as though that was bad, is adorable. Almost as cute as you blaming Obama for not working with Republicans for why spending is at an all-time high. Do you think Obama controls spending?

bs, republican policies from the wars Bush got us into to massive tax cuts played a far bigger role in this debt.

Of course Obama is going to be blamed even through he gutted infrastructure to the lowest levels in 80 years per capita. He hasn't raised anything outside of welfare...

Your vacuity is noted. Meanwhile, the increase to the debt remains due to the loss in revenue from the Great Recession and increased spending, which the House controls. You blaming stimulus measures taken to stop the hemorrhaging, as though that was bad, is adorable. Almost as cute as you blaming Obama for not working with Republicans for why spending is at an all-time high. Do you think Obama controls spending?
It's like you are 10 years old.
It's still cute how you think Obama's to blame when Republicans control spending and spending is at an all-time high.
I have already explained this matter to you, yet you keep repeating the same retort, like a retarded mantra. Are you retarded? Please advise if you are mentally impaired because I would never knowingly laugh at a cripple.

Does Obama bear responsibility for our huge debt? You bet your fat ass he does, Corky! The House does not have unfettered control of spending because any budgetary proposal and taxing bill must be signed by the President. The House cannot act alone. However, Obama has acted alone many times. In case you were not paying attention the past 7 years executive overreach has been a major issue during Obama's reign. The Constitution says only that taxing matters must ORIGINATE in the House of Representatives. It does not give total control of spending to the House. Moreover, there were 2 years that Congress was controlled by Dems. I notice that you have no retort for that.

I swear, you are one stupid motherfucker. In 1942 Germany you would have been toasted to a crisp and fed to feral dogs. Do you realize that?

From your link......................
“To understand the long-term trends here, we have to take a look at what exactly happened when the last Democratic president was leaving office. He was passing off budget surpluses as far as the eye could see to his successor,” Josh Earnest said at the daily White House briefing.

President George W. Bush proceeded to put in place tax cuts for the wealthy and launched a ground war in the Middle East “all without paying for it,” he added.

That led to the Great Recession that put enormous pressure on the federal budget, Earnest said.

Even your link is blaming Jr.

Not only did he give tax cuts to the wealthy, he gave them another one AFTER the war had started.
Tax cuts and killing Saddam and Taliban is money well spent when compared to Obama's "stimulus", Solyndra, and "cash for clunkers" debacle. Perhaps you folks on the left need to get your heads examined ...ASAP!

I'm guessing that you too are entirely innumerate....

Let’s start with Obama’s stimulus. The standard Republican talking point is that it failed, meaning it didn’t reduce unemployment. Yet in a survey of leading economists conducted by the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business, 92 percent agreed that the stimulus succeeded in reducing the jobless rate. On the harder question of whether the benefit exceeded the cost, more than half thought it did, one in three was uncertain, and fewer than one in six disagreed.

The U.S. Economic Policy Debate Is a Sham

Who really cares what these clowns think.

There was no model performance published prior and so there is nothing to compare.

I get so tired of people giving these idiots credibility.

There is a reasons teachers teach (generally can't exist in the real world).

Right.......Do you have any idea how rare that level of consensus is among economists?

We aren't all blessed with voices in our heads telling us what to believe.....

Which I think is a good thing...

Provide the model and then I'll know that these guys are not the voices in your head telling you what you want to believe.

You can go to the Booth School site and see the roster of people surveyed.....it wasn't like they sat all these folks down in a room and obliged them to design a single model.....

and, no offense, but you don't strike me as the type qualified to judge an econometric model....

and, if it makes you feel any better, their consensus is consistent with the conclusions of the GAO, and major private sector economists...

Facts can not be debated; they can only be understood.

President Reagan tripled the debt. President Clinton got it under control. President Bush exploded the debt by coupling massive tax cuts we couldn't afford with not one but TWO full wars he charged to the credit card, while also drastically expanding the federal gov't with Homeland Security, Medicare Part D, and No Child Left Behind.

President Obama did not create a yearly $1.5 trillion deficit. It was handed to him. And he has reduced those yearly $1.5 trillion deficits by two-thirds.

The facts of our modern history are not disputed by anyone but the willfully stupid RWNJ trolls who live on message boards to spread their ignorance. In our lifetimes, Republican Presidents explode the debt while Democratic Presidents are brought in to mop things up.

Bush was a mess.

Reagan's "tripling was something like 3.5 Trillion total.....it was recoverable.

And the economy boomed.

Bush threw away a huge opportunity.

It was "recoverable" because Poppy, and Clinton after him, paid the necessary political price for cleaning up the mess....

and relative to Real GDP and jobs, Reagan underperformed the guys on either side of him...

Please stop making me laugh.

There was very little mess to clean up.

The economy made some minor corrections.

You on the left and right forget that Clinton was popular but got his ass handed to him in 94. Congress in the hands of a conservative group worked with Clinton to do some good stuff.

they had the foundation due to some of what Reagan was able to do.

It's all dems.....

It's all the GOP.

That is what makes the OP so amazing. This WH finally acknowledges some hand in our deficit.

I know GWB was a moron and a spender.

Obama has not helped things much.

Uh....no....

By the end of Reagan's second term the debt had tripled.....3 years later it has quadrupled (since the end of FY81)......This was clearly unsustainable...Alan Greenspan has described Reagan as a "reckless steward of the economy"...furthermore, the economy generated the worst GDP and job growth in the post WW2 era (until Poppy's mutant spawn "outdid" it).....Poppy, to stanch the fiscal bleeding, was obliged to break his no taxes pledge, and along with congress instituted "Pay/Go".....

This arrested the growth of deficits, but wasn't enough to reverse them.......which is why Clinton was, in 1993, obliged to push through the second largest real tax increase in US history - which passed with ZERO republican votes........The GOP then ran on the issue in the 94 elections and democrats got creamed...

The effect of the tax rate increases, and economic growth (contrary to the dire predictions of The Usual Suspects), was to reduce the deficit by over 90% by the time Gingrich and Clinton reached their agreement in the fall of 1997....

There is simply no comparison to be made between Scrub and Obama......Under Scrub, federal spending (exclusive of Iraqnam) grew at more than 7% per year.......Under Obama' it has grown at about a third of that rate....

You are starting sound like a sok for another poster on this board.

Your historical recall is correct. The ascribed reasons have always been in dispute.

Reagan did, in fact, triple the debt. The stock market also tripled during his term.

Reagan was also dealing with huge interest rates which were imposed to slow down inflation. It appears to have worked to good.

The GOP Wiped out the democrats in 1994 based primarily on their marketing campaign of a "Contract With America".

Clinton's tax increase didn't help near as much as the tech bubble. Clinton had moderate interest rates during his time.

GWB had low interest rates to deal with and nearly balanced budget. He threw it all away. I'd still like to kick him in the balls....along with all the morons in congress who let him get away with it.

Obama has had near zero interest rates to deal with and has been unable to get the economy going.

Do I really think they control the economy ?

Wow......100% Narrative.......I'm surprised....

(I keed, I keed!)

It's still cute how you think Obama's to blame when Republicans control spending and spending is at an all-time high.
I have already explained this matter to you, yet you keep repeating the same retort, like a retarded mantra. Are you retarded? Please advise if you are mentally impaired because I would never knowingly laugh at a cripple.

Does Obama bear responsibility for our huge debt? You bet your fat ass he does, Corky! The House does not have unfettered control of spending because any budgetary proposal and taxing bill must be signed by the President. The House cannot act alone. However, Obama has acted alone many times. In case you were not paying attention the past 7 years executive overreach has been a major issue during Obama's reign. The Constitution says only that taxing matters must ORIGINATE in the House of Representatives. It does not give total control of spending to the House. Moreover, there were 2 years that Congress was controlled by Dems. I notice that you have no retort for that.

I swear, you are one stupid motherfucker. In 1942 Germany you would have been toasted to a crisp and fed to feral dogs. Do you realize that?

Dude,

Seriously.....

Can you define "structural deficit"?

Zack,

Just for the record.......How many votes did you cast for Scrub?

Sure......

ARRA......even the notoriously partisan AEI was obliged to acknowledge its role in reversing the course of the Great Recession....

Putting an end to our occupation of Iraqnam.......

Reducing the rate of growth of Federal Spending.....If you go back to WH budget proposals, you will see that, in spite of all the hysteria, the Administration had projected its spending requests to reach roughly 3.9 trillion by FY 2015........which was about where it came in.....this represents a growth rate considerably less than half that under his predecessor....

Though its scale is a matter of debate, ACA has been cited as playing a role in the extension of the Medicare solvency horizon by the program's trustees.

Less tangible is the value of having an Administration which operates under a principle of "Don't do stupid shit"..

Dude,

Seriously.....

Can you define "structural deficit"?
I don't remember saying a goddamn thing to you, you smug-assed little bitch. May your testicles bleed from cancer. Bitch.

Tax cuts and killing Saddam and Taliban is money well spent when compared to Obama's "stimulus", Solyndra, and "cash for clunkers" debacle. Perhaps you folks on the left need to get your heads examined ...ASAP!

I'm guessing that you too are entirely innumerate....

Let’s start with Obama’s stimulus. The standard Republican talking point is that it failed, meaning it didn’t reduce unemployment. Yet in a survey of leading economists conducted by the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business, 92 percent agreed that the stimulus succeeded in reducing the jobless rate. On the harder question of whether the benefit exceeded the cost, more than half thought it did, one in three was uncertain, and fewer than one in six disagreed.

The U.S. Economic Policy Debate Is a Sham

Who really cares what these clowns think.

There was no model performance published prior and so there is nothing to compare.

I get so tired of people giving these idiots credibility.

There is a reasons teachers teach (generally can't exist in the real world).

Right.......Do you have any idea how rare that level of consensus is among economists?

We aren't all blessed with voices in our heads telling us what to believe.....

Which I think is a good thing...

Provide the model and then I'll know that these guys are not the voices in your head telling you what you want to believe.

You can go to the Booth School site and see the roster of people surveyed.....it wasn't like they sat all these folks down in a room and obliged them to design a single model.....

and, no offense, but you don't strike me as the type qualified to judge an econometric model....

and, if it makes you feel any better, their consensus is consistent with the conclusions of the GAO, and major private sector economists...

The only thing that struck you was the floor when you were dropped as a child.

I make financial models for a living.

When you've got the model to go with a conclusion....I'll be all ears.

Bush was a mess.

Reagan's "tripling was something like 3.5 Trillion total.....it was recoverable.

And the economy boomed.

Bush threw away a huge opportunity.

It was "recoverable" because Poppy, and Clinton after him, paid the necessary political price for cleaning up the mess....

and relative to Real GDP and jobs, Reagan underperformed the guys on either side of him...

Please stop making me laugh.

There was very little mess to clean up.

The economy made some minor corrections.

You on the left and right forget that Clinton was popular but got his ass handed to him in 94. Congress in the hands of a conservative group worked with Clinton to do some good stuff.

they had the foundation due to some of what Reagan was able to do.

It's all dems.....

It's all the GOP.

That is what makes the OP so amazing. This WH finally acknowledges some hand in our deficit.

I know GWB was a moron and a spender.

Obama has not helped things much.

Uh....no....

By the end of Reagan's second term the debt had tripled.....3 years later it has quadrupled (since the end of FY81)......This was clearly unsustainable...Alan Greenspan has described Reagan as a "reckless steward of the economy"...furthermore, the economy generated the worst GDP and job growth in the post WW2 era (until Poppy's mutant spawn "outdid" it).....Poppy, to stanch the fiscal bleeding, was obliged to break his no taxes pledge, and along with congress instituted "Pay/Go".....

This arrested the growth of deficits, but wasn't enough to reverse them.......which is why Clinton was, in 1993, obliged to push through the second largest real tax increase in US history - which passed with ZERO republican votes........The GOP then ran on the issue in the 94 elections and democrats got creamed...

The effect of the tax rate increases, and economic growth (contrary to the dire predictions of The Usual Suspects), was to reduce the deficit by over 90% by the time Gingrich and Clinton reached their agreement in the fall of 1997....

There is simply no comparison to be made between Scrub and Obama......Under Scrub, federal spending (exclusive of Iraqnam) grew at more than 7% per year.......Under Obama' it has grown at about a third of that rate....

You are starting sound like a sok for another poster on this board.

Your historical recall is correct. The ascribed reasons have always been in dispute.

Reagan did, in fact, triple the debt. The stock market also tripled during his term.

Reagan was also dealing with huge interest rates which were imposed to slow down inflation. It appears to have worked to good.

The GOP Wiped out the democrats in 1994 based primarily on their marketing campaign of a "Contract With America".

Clinton's tax increase didn't help near as much as the tech bubble. Clinton had moderate interest rates during his time.

GWB had low interest rates to deal with and nearly balanced budget. He threw it all away. I'd still like to kick him in the balls....along with all the morons in congress who let him get away with it.

Obama has had near zero interest rates to deal with and has been unable to get the economy going.

Do I really think they control the economy ?

Wow......100% Narrative.......I'm surprised....

(I keed, I keed!)

Sooooooo....you don't think Clinton had moderate interest rates during his administration.

Or what ?

If you had a clue of what you're talking about, you wouldn't keep shifting your position. You started by blaming the debt on Obama for "not" working with Congress. Now you're blaming him for working with Congress. As far as spending bills being required to originate in the House, I already pointed that out. As far as executive orders, which one(s) do you think spent money without Congressional approval and beyond the limits of existing budgets? And as far as Democrats controlling Congress early in Obama's presidency, so what? Of course they did. Of course they're subject to the same consequences as when Republicans are in control.

Does that mean you don't hold Bush responsible for the recession, since democrats controlled spending and we were running a deficit?

Forum List

Back