Whew.... some people are really, really DUMB!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Watching the WH press conference, several truly dumb reporters do NOT understand the clear and obvious distinction between "Absentee voting" and "Mail-in Voting"!
DEFINITIONS:
Voting by mail can be done by what’s called an absentee ballot or mail-in ballot. But there is a lot of confusion—and misinformation—around these methods, which vary widely state by state. What’s more, some people use these terms interchangeably, others mean different things by them, and yet others employ different words altogether.
What is an absentee ballot?
Let’s start with some election basics. Normally, most US voters cast their ballots in person in a polling booth at a polling place/station based on where they are registered to vote. A ballot is the physical form (or electronic voting machine equivalent) that a voter fills out; it lists the candidates, issues, and so on that a person votes on.An absentee ballot is a ballot used to cast an absentee vote, which is submitted, usually by mail, by an absentee. Absentee, here, refers to a person who can’t physically be present at a voting center on Election Day
So, what is a mail-in ballot?
Five states—Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Utah, and Hawaii—already conduct their elections through a mail-in process that’s often referred to as all-mail voting. Registered voters in these states automatically receive a mail ballot, which is sent to their address before Election Day and mailed back by the voter or deposited at a voting location or secure dropbox by a certain time on Election Day.

The major difference:
They are going to mail to all registered voters ballots. Regardless if the voter is dead or alive. A human being or not!
The takeaway:
  • An absentee ballot is generally used in every state to refer to a ballot filled out by a voter who cannot, for various reasons, physically make it to a voting location on Election Day.
  • A mail-in ballot is used more broadly to refer to ballots sent through the mail, including in all-mail voting states and some forms of absentee voting.

Now again for those really dumb people like these reporters...
ABSENTEE means I formally ask for a ballot and it is mailed TO ME at my current address that I've given to the proper authorities.
MAIL-IN means blanket ballots are mailed to dead people, animals, anyone and anyone that receives the ballots can CAST their choice...a number of times!

So I hope dummies understand the distinction here...
Absentee voting does have risks... no question.
MAIL-IN ballots though have greater risks.
Examples:
According to the Los Angeles County Registrar's Office, which oversees voting systems for the area, too many ballots were sent to a single Los Angeles apartment in November 2016.https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/83-mail-in-ballots-voter-fraud/

West Virginia mail carrier admits attempted election fraud
Eight mail-in requests for absentee voter ballots had their party affiliations altered, authorities say

15 Election Results That Were Thrown Out Because of Fraudulent Mail-In Ballots

N.Y. mail-in voting deluge leads to confusion, June results delayed until August
Election officials say it will take them until early August to finish counting a tidal wave of absentee ballots that overwhelmed a system which typically handles only around 5% of the vote. About 1.8 million New Yorkers requested mail-in ballots for New York’s primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back