Where Others Have Failed, Donald Trump Will Maybe Make Me a Believer in Libertarianism

Good thing: Libertarian Principles & Trump Shutdown & Welfare 4 Trumpeteers Ending?

• yes small government now!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JBvM

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2018
... ... ...
God Bless Paul Krugman for laying it all out. "The truth is that libertarian ideology isn’t a real force within the G.O.P.; it’s more of a cover story for the party’s actual agenda." Opinion | Trump’s Big Libertarian Experiment

For example ... “Government,” declared Ronald Reagan in his first Inaugural Address, “is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.” Republicans have echoed his rhetoric ever since. Somehow, though, they’ve never followed through on the radical downsizing of government their ideology calls for.

But now Donald Trump is, in effect, implementing at least part of the drastic reduction in government’s role his party has long claimed to favor. If the shutdown drags on for months — which seems quite possible — we’ll get a chance to see what America looks like without a number of public programs the right has long insisted we don’t need. Never mind the wall; think of what’s going on as a big, beautiful libertarian experiment.

Businesspeople are furious that the Small Business Administration isn’t making loans — but libertarians want to see the whole agency abolished.

If the shutdown extends into March — which, again, seems entirely possible — money for food stamps will dry up. But Republicans have long been deeply hostile to the food stamp program. Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, has denounced the program for “making it excessively easy to be nonproductive.”
The shutdown has drastically curtailed work at the Food and Drug Administration, which among other things tries to prevent food contamination: Routine inspections of seafood, vegetables, fruits and other foods have stopped. But there’s a long conservative tradition, going back to Milton Friedman, that condemns the F.D.A.’s existence as an unwarranted interference in the free market.

and we have a reality smack for Red State Farm Country

Farm Country Stood by Trump. But the Shutdown Is Pushing It to Breaking Point.

Mr. Trump is expected to address a largely friendly audience on Monday at the American Farm Bureau’s annual convention. Many farmers, including David Nunnery, 59, of Pike County, Miss., have stayed unflinchingly loyal to Mr. Trump and his demands for $5.7 billion for a border wall, even as the shutdown threatens their livelihood.

“I may lose the farm, but I strongly feel we need some border security,” Mr. Nunnery said.

I really do hope Mr. Nunnery loses his farm. It will save the tax payers money -- "federal checks to farmers aren’t going out — but libertarian organizations like the Cato Institute have long denounced farm subsidies as just another form of crony capitalism."

noun: Schadenfreude; noun: schadenfreude
  1. pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.
    "a electorate that thrives on schadenfreude"

Where Others Have Failed, Donald Trump Will Maybe Make Me a Believer in Libertarianism, and as people like Krugman exposs the GOP frauds for what they have been - it gets harder and harder for the wingnuts who have supported the GOP all these years, and now support Rump, to walk away from the wreckage of their own choices.

If these people truly believed in personal responsibility .. they would follow an example set by the Heaven's Gate Cult :laugh2:

Find me an influential libertarian who says it’s cool if I sit on my front porch on Main Street naked while smoking a fat doobie which I’ve just lit on the fire in my hibachi which is burning a copy of the Bible and an American flag.

Then I’ll consider libertarianism.

Find me an influential libertarian who says it’s cool if I sit on my front porch on Main Street naked while smoking a fat doobie which I’ve just lit on the fire in my hibachi which is burning a copy of the Bible and an American flag.

Try doing that in your house, not on your front porch, and I couldn't care less. When you step outside and influence young children then I have an issue with you...

Try doing that in your house, not on your front porch, and I couldn't care less. When you step outside and influence young children then I have an issue with you...

My porch. Fuck you.

Sorry. I want to do that outside on my property. You don’t like it? Don’t look. Or move. That’s your CHOICE.

Forum List

Back