Where have all the monarch butterflies gone?

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
An annual count shows the number of orange-and-black butterflies has crashed in the two decades. But there's something you can do to help.

While the plight of the honeybee has launched countless petitions to save them, including television segments, awareness campaigns, and even a movie, another important member of the ecosystem — one that's actually native to North America — has experienced a dramatic decline in population, a decline that has caused far less hand-wringing by gardeners and do-gooders.

The number of monarch butterflies that arrived at their overwintering location in Mexico dropped 59 percent this year, the lowest level since scientists began keeping records 20 years ago, reports the Associated Press.

This is the third straight year of decline for the butterflies that migrate from Canada and the United States to mountaintop forests in central Mexico. Scientists can't explain why or how these delicate orange-and-black butterflies make the migration, but it takes generations of butterflies crossing two borders to complete.

What's the cause of the monarch butterfly decline?

Where have all the monarch butterflies gone? | MNN - Mother Nature Network

We let all the milkweed on our land grow no matter where ,same as the clover in the yard,its gets kinda high at times,but it helps the bees. Once the clover is done blossoming we cut it then.

Mexico needs to protect the very small area they winter on.

Obama shipped their jobs to China? :dunno:

And India. Probably not Mexico because that would be where they would want to go.

We let all the milkweed on our land grow no matter where ,same as the clover in the yard,its gets kinda high at times,but it helps the bees. Once the clover is done blossoming we cut it then.

When my kids were younger they used to raise monarch butterflies in class as a science project every year...then release them. I believe you can actually purchase the butterfly larva from a place called Monarch Watch. I think that is where the school gets them. Kind of a neat project for kids.

I have noticed that I rarely see many butterflies in my area. Not like I did when I was younger. One of the drawbacks of a built up city that keeps growing.

And India. Probably not Mexico because that would be where they would want to go.

When my kids were younger they used to raise monarch butterflies in class as a science project every year...then release them. I believe you can actually purchase the butterfly larva from a place called Monarch Watch. I think that is where the school gets them. Kind of a neat project for kids.

I have noticed that I rarely see many butterflies in my area. Not like I did when I was younger. One of the drawbacks of a built up city that keeps growing.

We just went out to the milkweed patch,thats all they eat as caterpillars,and get a few,stickem in a jar with some mlkweed and a stick,it was cool to watch the change,then let them go.

You are right not nearly as many but we still have some ever year,it helps to live in a rural area.

We just went out to the milkweed patch,thats all they eat as caterpillars,and get a few,stickem in a jar with some mlkweed and a stick,it was cool to watch the change,then let them go.

You are right not nearly as many but we still have some ever year,it helps to live in a rural area.

Article had some good tips for attracting butterflies. Wonder how well they work?

create a mud puddle to provide male butterflies with the minerals they need to reproduce. Butterfly Pavilion recommends home gardeners sink a pan into the ground that is filled with equal parts sand and composted manure. If kept moist throughout the growing season, the puddle may become a gathering place for butterflies.

Before placing your fruit scraps into the compost bin, toss the chunks of rotting apples, pears, peaches, and oranges into a mesh bag and hang them from a tree for butterflies.

Plant flowers...particularly tangles of wildflowers..they will attract butterflies.

Everybody used to have flower gardens when I was a girl. Nobody has them anymore. I'm going to have one this year.

Plant flowers...particularly tangles of wildflowers..they will attract butterflies.

Everybody used to have flower gardens when I was a girl. Nobody has them anymore. I'm going to have one this year.

We planted about 2 acres of nothing but wild flowers last summer,it takes a season or two for them to really fill in,should have bunches this year.

Ladybug, ladybug fly away home...
:eusa_eh:
Invasive ladybirds wage 'biological war' on natives
16 May 2013 - German researchers have discovered the biological keys to the success of an invasive species, wreaking havoc across Europe and the US
The Asian ladybird was originally brought in to control aphids in greenhouses. But it has escaped and is increasing uncontrollably across Europe, wiping out native species. The alien is winning, say scientists, because its body fluid contains a parasite toxic to other insects. The research is published in the Journal, Science. Sometimes called the harlequin, the Asian ladybird (Harmonia axyridis) can devour over two hundred aphids a day. They are seen as a natural and effective solution to the problems posed by these pests in greenhouses.

Killer bugs

But in recent years these imported ladybirds have escaped and rapidly established themselves across Europe and North America at the expense of native species. In Autumn, the Asian invaders can be a nuisance as they congregate in large groups searching for sheltered locations to hibernate. They can sometimes cause serious allergic reactions in humans. In this new research, scientists have shown that it is the biological system of the Asian ladybird that gives it the edge when it comes to competing with native species. The invader has an extremely powerful immune system. The body fluid of the insect contains a strong antibiotic compund called harmonine as well as antimicrobial peptides. These allow the invasive to fight off pathogens more effectively than natives. So powerful are the antibiotic elements in the ladybird, that the researchers say they may prove to be promising targets for drug development.

_67643597_harmonia_adultbeetle-1.jpg

The Asian Ladybird or harlequin has overpowered native species across Europe

But the most powerful aspects of the ladybird's biological armoury are tiny fungi called microsporidia. "They keep them inactive in their own blood, we don't understand how they do it yet," said Dr Heiko Vogel from the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, "But when the other ladybird beetles start to attack the invader's eggs and larvae, they become active and kill the native ones." Several studies in recent years have shown the harlequin conquering other ladybirds across Europe. In the UK scientists found that seven of the eight native British species have declined. Similar problems have been encountered in Belgium and Switzerland. In the UK, researchers are very keen for people to report any sightings of the harlequin. They have just launched a smartphone app that helps people record details of the ladybirds. Dr Helen Roy from the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology near Wallingford, UK, said the German research was "fascinating". The outlook for native species, however, remained grim. "The two-spot ladybird, a historically common and widespread species in Britain is suffering the most and experiencing dramatic and rapid declines," she said.

And the German scientists agree that the Asian ladybird is set to conquer most of the world. "I don't see any which way to stop them now - it's too late in my opinion," said Dr Vogel. "The fascinating thing is they can survive in such a wide range of temperature zones, and they are starting to pop up in South Africa and South America." When the aphids they prey upon become scarce, Asian ladybirds are known to feed on grapes and are often found in vineyards. Their powerful, defensive chemicals can affect the taste of wine if they get trapped in the production process. "They go on apples and grapes and that is becoming an increasing problem because of the massive amounts of these beetles, said Dr Vogel. "The tainting of the wine with a single beetle is not funny!"

BBC News - Invasive ladybirds wage 'biological war' on natives

An annual count shows the number of orange-and-black butterflies has crashed in the two decades. But there's something you can do to help.

While the plight of the honeybee has launched countless petitions to save them, including television segments, awareness campaigns, and even a movie, another important member of the ecosystem — one that's actually native to North America — has experienced a dramatic decline in population, a decline that has caused far less hand-wringing by gardeners and do-gooders.

The number of monarch butterflies that arrived at their overwintering location in Mexico dropped 59 percent this year, the lowest level since scientists began keeping records 20 years ago, reports the Associated Press.

This is the third straight year of decline for the butterflies that migrate from Canada and the United States to mountaintop forests in central Mexico. Scientists can't explain why or how these delicate orange-and-black butterflies make the migration, but it takes generations of butterflies crossing two borders to complete.

What's the cause of the monarch butterfly decline?

Where have all the monarch butterflies gone? | MNN - Mother Nature Network

They all flew up obamas ass.

We planted about 2 acres of nothing but wild flowers last summer,it takes a season or two for them to really fill in,should have bunches this year.

Pics? Would love to see!

Ladybug, ladybug fly away home...
Invasive ladybirds wage 'biological war' on natives
16 May 2013 - German researchers have discovered the biological keys to the success of an invasive species, wreaking havoc across Europe and the US
The Asian ladybird was originally brought in to control aphids in greenhouses. But it has escaped and is increasing uncontrollably across Europe, wiping out native species. The alien is winning, say scientists, because its body fluid contains a parasite toxic to other insects. The research is published in the Journal, Science. Sometimes called the harlequin, the Asian ladybird (Harmonia axyridis) can devour over two hundred aphids a day. They are seen as a natural and effective solution to the problems posed by these pests in greenhouses.

Killer bugs

But in recent years these imported ladybirds have escaped and rapidly established themselves across Europe and North America at the expense of native species. In Autumn, the Asian invaders can be a nuisance as they congregate in large groups searching for sheltered locations to hibernate. They can sometimes cause serious allergic reactions in humans. In this new research, scientists have shown that it is the biological system of the Asian ladybird that gives it the edge when it comes to competing with native species. The invader has an extremely powerful immune system. The body fluid of the insect contains a strong antibiotic compund called harmonine as well as antimicrobial peptides. These allow the invasive to fight off pathogens more effectively than natives. So powerful are the antibiotic elements in the ladybird, that the researchers say they may prove to be promising targets for drug development.

_67643597_harmonia_adultbeetle-1.jpg

The Asian Ladybird or harlequin has overpowered native species across Europe

But the most powerful aspects of the ladybird's biological armoury are tiny fungi called microsporidia. "They keep them inactive in their own blood, we don't understand how they do it yet," said Dr Heiko Vogel from the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, "But when the other ladybird beetles start to attack the invader's eggs and larvae, they become active and kill the native ones." Several studies in recent years have shown the harlequin conquering other ladybirds across Europe. In the UK scientists found that seven of the eight native British species have declined. Similar problems have been encountered in Belgium and Switzerland. In the UK, researchers are very keen for people to report any sightings of the harlequin. They have just launched a smartphone app that helps people record details of the ladybirds. Dr Helen Roy from the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology near Wallingford, UK, said the German research was "fascinating". The outlook for native species, however, remained grim. "The two-spot ladybird, a historically common and widespread species in Britain is suffering the most and experiencing dramatic and rapid declines," she said.

And the German scientists agree that the Asian ladybird is set to conquer most of the world. "I don't see any which way to stop them now - it's too late in my opinion," said Dr Vogel. "The fascinating thing is they can survive in such a wide range of temperature zones, and they are starting to pop up in South Africa and South America." When the aphids they prey upon become scarce, Asian ladybirds are known to feed on grapes and are often found in vineyards. Their powerful, defensive chemicals can affect the taste of wine if they get trapped in the production process. "They go on apples and grapes and that is becoming an increasing problem because of the massive amounts of these beetles, said Dr Vogel. "The tainting of the wine with a single beetle is not funny!"

BBC News - Invasive ladybirds wage 'biological war' on natives

200 aphids a day? What a bunch of pigs.

Figures man found a way to both control the out break of aphids in their own greenhouses and turn around and wipe out other species of ladybirds abroad. Way to go!

Haven't seen any around here in past couple of years...
Monarch Butterfly Mexico Migration Hits All-time Low
February 3rd, 2014 ~ One of nature’s most beautiful sights is when a monarch butterfly comes fluttering into view.
Monarchs are the only known North American butterfly to migrate south for the winter, hibernating and returning in the spring as birds do. However, a new report finds the number of these butterflies hibernating in Mexico reached an all-time low in 2013, possibly due to loss of habitat, climate change and the use of insecticides. “The combination of these threats has led to a dramatic decline in the number of monarch butterflies arriving to Mexico to hibernate over the past decade,” said Omar Vidal, World Wildlife Fund-Mexico director general. “Twenty years after the signing of NAFTA, the monarch butterfly migration – a symbol of cooperation between our three countries – is in grave danger.” Depending on just how far north they make their summer homes, the butterflies’ journey south can be a long as nearly 5,000 kilometers.

monarch1-300x225.jpg

Monarch butterflies that summer in eastern North America spend the winter in Mexico, while those living in the west winter in California. The report, released last week by the World Wildlife Fund, Telcel Alliance and Mexico’s National Commission for Protected Areas (CONANP), surveyed Mexican forest areas known to be used by hibernating monarchs. Researchers found that only 6,677 square meters of forest area were populated by monarchs during December 2013. This finding shows a 44-percent drop from the same time in 2012, and represents the smallest area occupied by the monarchs since 1993, when these annual surveys began.

The annual survey is used by researchers as a way to indirectly tally the number of butterflies that make the trip from the United States and Canada during the yearly migration. Using spatial analysis software, researchers toured 11 butterfly sanctuaries, that have historically been known to have a presence of monarch colonies, once every other week in order to determine the specific location of the butterflies and how much of the forest land they inhabited during their winter hiatus. Scientists have cited numerous factors that may have caused the dramatic drop in the number of monarchs in recent years.

ColoniesMap2013-2014-300x224.jpg

According to the report, some of the reasons for the population drop include:

• A loss of the monarch’s reproductive habitat, which may have been caused by changes in land use

• A decrease in the monarch larvae’s primary food source – milkweed – due to the use of herbicide

• Extreme climate conditions in Canada, the United States and Mexico

• A loss of forest area (deforestation) as well as and forest degradation throughout the areas of Mexico known for hosting monarchs in the winter

Officials from Canada, Mexico and the United States will meet Feb. 19 in Toluca, Mexico, for the North American Leaders’ Summit. The WWF is calling on participants to agree on a plan that calls for immediate action to conserve the monarch migration. “Considering the challenges faced by the monarch butterfly and the clear evidence that their populations are declining, it is vital to mobilize as many people as possible, and that our efforts are carefully planned to help this butterfly recover, so their wonderful migration can be appreciated for many more generations”, said Karen Oberhauser a professor at the University of Minnesota who has been studying Monarchs since 1984.

Source

Forum List

Back