Where did you get your faith from?

Phaedrus said:
Not at all, in fact I think that's a non sequitur.
Now, back to the faith part. :D You say you have faith in people. Do you believe that people will never let you or others down?

Phaedrus said:
Of course they will, I believe in the potential for them not to.

gtg to class bb at 4:30 central U of Chicago
When you get back from class, please check in! I'm really interested in your POV.

So... you believe in the potential for people to choose to do good. Yet, you admit that they often choose NOT to do good. So, what factor in "people" causes your faith to stem from them? If they are known to choose to "not do good"?

mom4 said:
So... you believe in the potential for people to choose to do good. Yet, you admit that they often choose NOT to do good. So, what factor in "people" causes your faith to stem from them? If they are known to choose to "not do good"?

Because most people do do good. Just because some don't doesn't mean you should lose faith in all humanity...

Dr Grump said:
Because most people do do good. Just because some don't doesn't mean you should lose faith in all humanity...

People aren't inherently good. Ever read Lord of the Flies? :)

Human nature is such that w/o discipline - if left alone - people will NOT do the right thing.

dmp said:
People aren't inherently good. Ever read Lord of the Flies? :)

Human nature is such that w/o discipline - if left alone - people will NOT do the right thing.

That's certainly Hobbesian philosophy. I don't buy it. I don't think we need a divine and punishing being to control our actions. Though I do believe it is important to do good.

I've known church-going folk who were both moral and immoral, IMO. Not having religion doesn't make one immoral.

dmp said:
People aren't inherently good. Ever read Lord of the Flies? :).

Some are. I know lotsa folks who are. Lord of the Flies was as fiction book...a good one, and one with a good moral, but a work of fiction nonetheless. Time to head off...have a good one DMP...Jillian, Mom...

Hey all, It's not that people are inherently good, or even that a majority are (they aren't), it's that they can be good. My faith stems from the fact people, in the face of such apparent evils in the world, keep on moving forward.

People who choose "not to do good", in my opinion, have lost faith in humanity. The remedy for this is not charity, or any form conversion, but simply to move on. People have the right lose faith, and the right to be wrong.

Edit: you do not move on to abandon those who have lost faith, but to show them you have not. Eventually, they will hopefully regain what they lost.

mom4 said:
When you get back from class, please check in! I'm really interested in your POV.

When human life is the yardstick by which we measure the morality of the actions of others...their ability to choose to do good...there is no need to rely upon some supposedly divine writ.

jillian said:
That's certainly Hobbesian philosophy. I don't buy it. I don't think we need a divine and punishing being to control our actions. Though I do believe it is important to do good.

I've known church-going folk who were both moral and immoral, IMO. Not having religion doesn't make one immoral.

In this, you are correct. When our morals are rooted in their consequences to this human life, in this world, we arrive at a more human and humane ethical system than many rooted in deontological ethics.

Bullypulpit said:
In this, you are correct. When our morals are rooted in their consequences to this human life, in this world, we arrive at a more human and humane ethical system than many rooted in deontological ethics.

Interesting reasoning. I'm not sure I'd have arrived at that conclusion. But it makes sense. I also think some people are moral and some aren't whether they have religion or not.

Bullypulpit said:
When human life is the yardstick by which we measure the morality of the actions of others...their ability to choose to do good...there is no need to rely upon some supposedly divine writ.
Human life? Do you mean the state of being alive? Or the series of events that make up the human life?

I believe he means the state of life as it exists in this world, but I'd rather not speak for him...

I studied a number of different faiths when i was looking for truth, but in the end I did something crazy, I just asked God what was right.

And you know what, He is pretty good at showing me what is right and wrong.

Forum List

Back