When you can't believe the evil you see all around you.. Jesus told us WHY

I had a thoughtful response to your first post, but then I see a preference to discuss me over the topic. I'll pass. I prefer the topic.
The topic was that it was a stretch to equate the occasional hit off a hash pipe or glass of fine bourbon on the rocks with immorality

Another stupid example.

No one who hasn't been born can want anything

And even the bible says that life begins with the first breath
no it doesn't

I have read the whole Bible.. and heard it read to me over and over at daily Mass for years and years...

but lefties are always playing fast and loose w/ the truth...

no it doesn't

I have read the whole Bible.. and heard it read to me over and over at daily Mass for years and years...

but lefties are always playing fast and loose w/ the truth...
I am left handed how did you know that?

As for politics I have not voted for a democrat (or a republican) in over 20 years

And I read the bible too and in Genesis it clearly states that Adam didn't become a man until the breath of life was given by the god in the bible/

So Adam's life began AFTER his first breath.

I am left handed how did you know that?

As for politics I have not voted for a democrat (or a republican) in over 20 years

And I read the bible too and in Genesis it clearly states that Adam didn't become a man until the breath of life was given by the god in the bible/

So Adam's life began AFTER his first breath.
did you get your "Bible" from a cracker jack box?

Even if you could twist the words of MY Bible to say something like this

so waht? Not all the bible can be taken absolutely literally. Then there is this: Would it have been OK for some entity to kill Adam while he was lying there waiting for God to give him life? No one has respect for GOD anymore... assuming they believe in Him at all

The Bible should never be taken out of context. It's context is the CHURCH that produced it. Read Church history. The Catholic Church put togehter the books of the Bible, deciding which ancient manuscripts would be included and which not.. 4th century

Neither satan nor original sin were "invented". Instead, what was offered were simple, quick, shallow explanations--first grade basics. What they forgot to add was, "Study more in depth as you mature--these are greatly profound concepts.

Adam and Eve, for example: In Judaism one teaching suggests that the original Garden of Eden was actually outside the gates of heaven, right on the edge of physical existence. The Tree of Knowledge was not a test in and of itself--mankind was meant to partake of it--eventually. Adam and Eve jumped the gun and partook before the 'fruit' was ready, and the consequences of partaking that not yet ripe 'fruit' had unintended consequences, which God lists. Even though this was not what God had originally envisioned for mankind, He was not going to forsake us. He was still with us.

Also: This was not the sin of two people, the story was simply condensed into two characters. It speaks to all of us: Women/mothers who were first tempted and men who went along with the idea. We all made this choice, and we all learn from the consequences.

Orthodox Jews do not eat fruit from trees until the third year it bears as a reminder about waiting for the proper time.
Yeah but if it fruits at 18 months....I gotz a bahhhhgin faw yaz !

did you get your "Bible" from a cracker jack box?

Even if you could twist the words of MY Bible to say something like this

so waht? Not all the bible can be taken absolutely literally. Then there is this: Would it have been OK for some entity to kill Adam while he was lying there waiting for God to give him life? No one has respect for GOD anymore... assuming they believe in Him at all

The Bible should never be taken out of context. It's context is the CHURCH that produced it. Read Church history. The Catholic Church put togehter the books of the Bible, deciding which ancient manuscripts would be included and which not.. 4th century
No I got it from the public library and I read it myself because I don't need some clergyman to spoon-feed me the meaning.

But you are right. It was men of the Catholic church that decided what to include and exclude from the Christian Bible and they did that to further their own agenda more than to enlighten the hoi polloi

No I got it from the public library and I read it myself because I don't need some clergyman to spoon-feed me the meaning.
The public library also is a great source for material on Biblical history, culture, anthropology, and languages. Some are even a source for other ancient Jewish material and Rabbinical commentary. One of the first things taught is that scripture is to be studied, not read--and that it takes a lifetime.

Then there are the biographies and writings of early Christians and Saints that extend up to modern times. Clergy can only take one so far. St. Teresa of Avila (1500s) noted that Church and clergy have their hands full with introductory material. I agree, and after that we are pretty much on our own. But the material is there for those who have a lifetime and interest to pursue it.

But you are right. It was men of the Catholic church that decided what to include and exclude from the Christian Bible and they did that to further their own agenda more than to enlighten the hoi polloi
right... another person who knows the motive of ... everyone!!!!!!!

People are people

People do not change.

Those who seek to rule do it more for themselves not for those they would rule.
sounds like projection

u think that because you are untrustworthy, no one else could possibly be

sounds like projection

u think that because you are untrustworthy, no one else could possibly be
No I have never sought to rule anyone and never will.

Trust is nothing but an expectation and I have no expectations of any people except 1

And not many people are trustworthy and those who actively seek power are the least trustworthy of all

No I have never sought to rule anyone and never will.

Trust is nothing but an expectation and I have no expectations of any people except 1

And not many people are trustworthy and those who actively seek power are the least trustworthy of all
trustworthy people are indeed rare

But if you seek, as Jesus says, you will find...

and there are people who at least try to be honest, try to seek truth. It's very presumptuous to just write people off as dishonest when you don't know them from adam

trustworthy people are indeed rare

But if you seek, as Jesus says, you will find...

and there are people who at least try to be honest, try to seek truth. It's very presumptuous to just write people off as dishonest when you don't know them from adam
I see no need to seek out any person.

I have one person I trust and that is enough for me.

And where did I ever say dishonest.

And I do not write people off I just expect nothing from them. When you arbitrarily put expectations on people you will always be disappointed

I see no need to seek out any person.

I have one person I trust and that is enough for me.

And where did I ever say dishonest.

And I do not write people off I just expect nothing from them. When you arbitrarily put expectations on people you will always be disappointed
if u say you never expect anything from anyone, you lie

everyone falls into that trap...

bc people are so untrustworthy...

if u say you never expect anything from anyone, you lie

everyone falls into that trap...

bc people are so untrustworthy...
I don't expect anything.

It is expectation that leads to craving and craving is to be avoided.

You need to read the Tao

I understand why you don't trust people. I'm not dumb and neither are you. Had I been in your shoes growing up I probably would not trust anyone either. Early experiences change our brain. That's science.

But I wonder if you caught the plentiful advice in the Bible given to adults about living reasonably and well, treating your loved ones credibly, etc. Sure and yes I know Christians stray from that, you don't have to type it out. The advice doesn't lack credibility because some people don't follow it or are hypocrites. I think it would lack credibility if it didn't work.

Except it does work. Children do absolutely best in homes with a stable marriage, with stable adults.

I understand why you don't trust people. I'm not dumb and neither are you. Had I been in your shoes growing up I probably would not trust anyone either. Early experiences change our brain. That's science.

But I wonder if you caught the plentiful advice in the Bible given to adults about living reasonably and well, treating your loved ones credibly, etc. Sure and yes I know Christians stray from that, you don't have to type it out. The advice doesn't lack credibility because some people don't follow it or are hypocrites. I think it would lack credibility if it didn't work.

Except it does work. Children do absolutely best in homes with a stable marriage, with stable adults.
There are some good bits of philosophy and ethics in the bible.

Of course those things make it into my own philosophy because I was exposed to them so often. The one thing I have found is that there is a very real continuity and sameness of teachings on living a good life across all cultures and religions and that in fact they are all more alike than people generally realize.

I do know a lot about living with unstable parents and I agree that a stable home is obviously the better way

Forum List

Back