When Romney wins the nomination, who will the Tea Party's candidate be?

More good news for Cain: Art Laffer just endorsed his 999 plan( Paul Ryan and Art Laffer Endorse Cain’s 9-9-9 Plan (Updated- Ryan’s Office Says Comments not an Endorsement) « Nice Deb). Additionally, Paul Ryan says nice things about it also. Important here for Cain to explain it clearly and fully. ABC had a piece that concluded a family of 4 would pay 1-2 thousand dollars more under 999 than presently. I have seen this report fisked by pointing out ABC's flawed math and assumptions thereby upholding Cains plan, but this is exactly why he must explain it fully. If he can convince the Indies he might have a chance.

Personally, I think the plan has merit because, like Ryan said: "We need more bold ideas like this because it is specific and credible,” but, “I’m more of a flat-tax kind of a guy". His 999 plan is good politically because it is simple and easily remembered by the electorate. What's important here is that in the general election it will be the Indies that will elect in the end. The plan is not exactly a conservative's dream so it might have problems with that GOP faction. But, as many here seem to note, that faction will vote for the Not-Obama anyway in the general. Cain's present goal is to get there from here and the Laffer endorsment, and Ryan's encouraging words, work well for Cain in that respect and would it be a total sin if Cain consulted with the likes of Laffer and Ryan to conservatively 'tweak' 999?

The liberal press/media are about to go on the attack against Cain simply because his conservative head sticks up the most right now. Newt has done relatively well lately but both him and Cain have organizational and money problems. The latter of which is more easily resolved than the former if either starts to take off at this point. I also think Cain would do himself a big favor by boning up on foreign policy (especially Iran/Syria/China/Pakistan/International Terrorism). His "I'll hire experts" seems rather thin here. Although domestically jobs and the economy make up the majority of American concerns, the vacuum created by Obama's refusal to engage internationally (other than speechifying or "Leading from behind") might be an area where Cain might mine some political gold for the general and, also, allow him to establish himself as a serious presidential candidate.

Some inside baseball: Bachmann is done but, as demonstrated by Mitt's softball question to her in the Oct 11th debate he benefits by keeping her (and Santorum, Paul, Newt ) in the race. They compete with Perry for the conservative vote giving them all a smaller percentage in Caucus and Primaries allowing him to seem the big winner which keeps the money flowing to him. The scuttlebutt also mentions that the Romny campaign has been a driving force in the effort to bump up the primary dates (New Hampshire now says Dec 12th or Dec 6 could be possible if NV bumps its own). This also helps establish him as the 'inevitable' candidate

JM

Forum List

Back