When can President use EO as opposed to needing Congressional action?

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
We all remember how snarky Obama was when he threatened that if Congress didn’t yield to his wishes, he “had a pen and a phone.” But exactly how much power does our Constitution, brilliantly devised to PREVENT a dictator, allow a president to sidestep Congress with an EO?

For example, on Day 1, Biden killed the Keystone Pipeline (payback to the environmental groups), which, along with his other war on energy efforts, has moved us from energy independence to paying $5 bucks a gallon, and begging Arabs for oil. Should this much power to do damage reside in ONE person?

Whenever he can get away with it
Are there no laws governing this? What if the president issued an EO that all government jobs for the next three months would go only to POC? Or what if he said that all businesses must pay $15 an hour or they would be shut down?

Does he just do what he wants, and any objections go through a lengthy court fight? I say we need guidelines right from the start.

Are there no laws governing this? What if the president issued an EO that all government jobs for the next three months would go only to POC? Or what if he said that all businesses must pay $15 an hour or they would be shut down?

Does he just do what he wants, and any objections go through a lengthy court fight? I say we need guidelines right from the start.

Checks and Balances

Congress can pass legislation
The courts can rule the EO invalid

Checks and Balances

Congress can pass legislation
The courts can rule the EO invalid
Yes, that’s true. That is why our brilliant founders set up a judicial branch to control a future president with runaway dictatorial behavior.

A EO can be enjoined rather quickly.
Yes, thanks. I’ve gotten my question answered.

An example would be when Biden, eager to flood the country with as many illegals as possible, even with a baby food shortage and COVID still an issue, wanted to end Title 42. The SCOTUS stopped him.

If a President can sign an Executive Order and the Court is unwilling to overturn it and Congress is unable to pass legislation

The EO is valid

Whenever he can get away with it
Exactly. I think they were originally intended to be used to augment the legislative process and not to be a substitute for Congressional action. The best thing that can be said for them now is that at least they tend to be actions that the next guy can reverse with the stroke of a pen.

We all remember how snarky Obama was when he threatened that if Congress didn’t yield to his wishes, he “had a pen and a phone.” But exactly how much power does our Constitution, brilliantly devised to PREVENT a dictator, allow a president to sidestep Congress with an EO?

For example, on Day 1, Biden killed the Keystone Pipeline (payback to the environmental groups), which, along with his other war on energy efforts, has moved us from energy independence to paying $5 bucks a gallon, and begging Arabs for oil. Should this much power to do damage reside in ONE person?

An EO cannot break or actually change existing laws.

Did you complain about one many having too much power when one man approved the Keystone Pipeline extension?

Yes, thanks. I’ve gotten my question answered.

An example would be when Biden, eager to flood the country with as many illegals as possible, even with a baby food shortage and COVID still an issue, wanted to end Title 42. The SCOTUS stopped him.
The other side of that coin is that Obama created DACA with an EO and the courts are treating that as though Congress had passed it.

Did you complain about one many having too much power when one man approved the Keystone Pipeline extension?
When gas was 2 bucks?...............Please. How many men lost their good paying jobs with a pen. Guess you'd have to be one of them to know

If a President can sign an Executive Order and the Court is unwilling to overturn it and Congress is unable to pass legislation

The EO is valid
OK. Let‘s take immigration reform as an example. The Congress hasn’t passed any legislation, and it’s not even on its radar. Could a president issue an EO for the following:

Biden: All illegal aliens residing here are now citizens, and can vote in the upcoming election, are eligible for full welfare benefits.

What happens in that case?

The other side of that coin is that Obama created DACA with an EO and the courts are treating that as though Congress had passed it.
That’s true. It was always meant to be temporary, and at one point Obama himself said it wasn’t Constitutional. Now it seems engraved in stone.

Why would I complain when Trump helped ensure our country’s energy independence and keep gas affordable for the middle and lower classes?

That's true. Obama even went so far to say he couldn't do DACA in his first term because it was unconstitutional. Then he defied law and did it in his second term. Since then, we have seen the defiance of law snowball. Obama and his AGs were trailblazers for antifa and BLM and later the whole Biden lawless administration. So where are the Republicans that are supposed to hold them accountable? I blame McCarthy and McConnell, who are nothing more than two whining pussies.

OK. Let‘s take immigration reform as an example. The Congress hasn’t passed any legislation, and it’s not even on its radar. Could a president issue an EO for the following:

Biden: All illegal aliens residing here are now citizens, and can vote in the upcoming election, are eligible for full welfare benefits.

That is a violation of current law
What he can do is not enforce it

WHEN?

Whenever they can get away with it, like when their party controls both House and Senate.

The courts would probably overturn that; however, the courts should have overturned Obama's DACA but didn't, so what do I know?

Forum List

Back