When are we going to act on obesity in our developed world?

Surprised the UK ranks 6th place on the chart.
I have visited there and their food is so boring and bland. It's hard to imagine that anyone would eat enough of it to become obese. ... :cool:
Must have been a long time ago.
Britain's most popular meal is Chicken Tikka Masala.

Perhaps its time to introduce a fat tax.
Chicken Tikka Masala looks tasty :)

I'm confused on why people point to soda-pop as the cause of obesity.

There are two complimentary causes of obesity.... not getting exercise, and eating too much food. All the soda-pop in the world, won't gain you weight. Eating pizza, burgers and fries, while watching The Bachelor, and NFL... is the reason people are getting fat.

Banning soda isn't going to fix that. Stop shoving so much food in your face, and start walking around outside. You can drink all the soda you want, and lose weight.

In actually did this. Lost around 50 lbs or more.

This has to do with the body's "hungry" mechanism ... drinking calories doesn't turn this off, the brain doesn't realize he/she has consumed enough and aches for more ... call it 750 calories already in your body and still he/she screams for more ... once we're up to 2,000 calories per meal + soda-pop, we're going to gain weight ...

Over evolutionary time frames, we generally see food surpluses in summer and food shortages in winter ... especial women need to gain weight and fat during summer in order to survive the winter ... skinny women tend to die of starvation ... that's why when we look at great art from a few hundred years ago, we see the pristine feminine beauty to be on the chubby side ... today with the global economy, we can ship food in from places where it's summer when it's winter here ... the "feast or famine" cycle is broken, we enjoy food surpluses year-round ...

not getting exercise

Yeah, the diet industry would have us believe that being overweight causes medical conditions ... when in fact these medical conditions better correlate to physical fitness ... as a construction worker, I've never had a weight problem ... although in my youth I was very much underweight for playing nose tackle ... [rolls eyes] ... at 165 lbs I was double teamed by a pair of 250 pound monsters ... I tried to put some weight on, took me six months to gain 3 fricking pounds ... in my dodderhood I finally realized that excessive beer drinking puts weight on ... running almost 185 now-a-days ... and I drive my rig to go across the street ...

Soda-pop is considered the boogerman as an example of gluttony ... the makers put caffeine in and this is a mildly addictive substance ... same as cigarette makers adding nicotine ... and start with the kids ... any heroin dealer knows to hang out near Middle Schools ...

I have visited there and their food is so boring and bland. It's hard to imagine that anyone would eat enough of it to become obese. ... :cool:

Screenshot_2020-06-07 Chicken Tikka Masala - Google Search.png

I could eat that every day, and be a happy man.

View attachment 347116

A friend of mine recently went to New York City and was very surprised to find he couldn't find a restaurant that served 'steak', all that seemed to be on offer is burger and chips. I know the US is a huge country but are burgers really the favorite US meal?

View attachment 347116

A friend of mine recently went to New York City and was very surprised to find he couldn't find a restaurant that served 'steak', all that seemed to be on offer is burger and chips. I know the US is a huge country but are burgers really the favorite US meal?

No... but steak is expensive, and hamburg is cheap. It's a money issue. Especially in NYC where everything is horrendously expensive.

Don't go to NYC, or L.A.

Because everything is so super expensive in cities like LA and NYC, normal people can't afford steak there. So instead you end up with cheaper options, like burgers.

But if steak was the same price as a burger, everyone would be having steak for Lunch and Dinner.

Go to Texas Roadhouse, or Longhorn Steak house, or if you really want the good stuff, find a quality Japanese Steak House. The Japanese Steak houses are more expensive. On the cheaper side is Outback Steakhouse.

Honestly, I love curry, and unfortunately, not many places serve curry. Just not that popular here sadly.

Cracker Barrel is excellent. Good catfish, and steak.
Bob Evans is also a good choice.

Another good option is Bratwurst, but you have to be picky, and find good quality brats to eat. Cheap brats are lousy.

Here in Ohio, we have a sweet corn festival, and that is fantastic. The festival is held actually on the farm, where they grew the corn... and it is soooo good. Butter salt and pepper everywhere. So so good. And it's only a $1 for an ear. Bands playing, games for kids, they put on shows. Good times.

So no, the entire country, is not like New York City.

View attachment 347116

No... but steak is expensive, and hamburg is cheap. It's a money issue. Especially in NYC where everything is horrendously expensive.

Don't go to NYC, or L.A.

Because everything is so super expensive in cities like LA and NYC, normal people can't afford steak there. So instead you end up with cheaper options, like burgers.

But if steak was the same price as a burger, everyone would be having steak for Lunch and Dinner.

Go to Texas Roadhouse, or Longhorn Steak house, or if you really want the good stuff, find a quality Japanese Steak House. The Japanese Steak houses are more expensive. On the cheaper side is Outback Steakhouse.

Honestly, I love curry, and unfortunately, not many places serve curry. Just not that popular here sadly.

Cracker Barrel is excellent. Good catfish, and steak.
Bob Evans is also a good choice.

Another good option is Bratwurst, but you have to be picky, and find good quality brats to eat. Cheap brats are lousy.

Here in Ohio, we have a sweet corn festival, and that is fantastic. The festival is held actually on the farm, where they grew the corn... and it is soooo good. Butter salt and pepper everywhere. So so good. And it's only a $1 for an ear. Bands playing, games for kids, they put on shows. Good times.

So no, the entire country, is not like New York City.
This post is making me so hungry :biggrin:

View attachment 347116

I agree Andylusion! Everybody would be happy eating that! :bow2:

Forum List

Back