What's up with all this Flesh Eating Bacteria ?

A major toxin produced from cyanobacterial blooms is microcystin, which targets the wnt pathway. Suzanne Eaton worked on the wnt developmental pathway.

China May 2019 Microcystin / Hepatocarcinogenesis / Wnt
Epigenetic inactivation of LHX6 mediated microcystin-LR induced hepatocarcinogenesis via the Wnt/β-catenin and P53 signaling pathways. - PubMed - NCBI

Consistent water testing should monitor levels of flesh-eating bacteria and cyanobacteria.

26 Jun 2018 Cyano RT Microarray, A Novel Tool to Detect Gene Expression in Cyanobacteria
CYANO RT-Microarray: A Novel Tool to Detect Gene Expression in Cyanobacteria

Ever watch the reality show "monsters inside me"? It ain't a pretty show. I happened to see an episode where a guy cut his ankle on a rock while fishing in the Gulf of Mexico somewhere. His ankle became swollen and discolored and his favorite doctor put a cast on it. You can guess what happened. Flesh eating bacteria almost caused him to lose his leg. You have more to fear from bad diagnosis by quack doctors than flesh eating bacteria these days

When I was young, I remember swimming in all kinds of lakes, streams, creeks, ponds, oceans etc and never once worried about any "Flesh Eating" bacteria. I've been in some pretty disgusting water off the East Coast as a child. Stepped on oyters and got nasty cuts in water browner than root beer and sometimes with dead fish not far away. Never worried about open cuts when going in the water. Actually, I always thought the salt would clean them.

Now it seems you can't go in the water without some concern for it.

According to this story, 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths are caused by this bacteria every year.

Do you ever remember worrying about this as a child (if you're over 40)? Was I just extremely lucky?

Or, is it just that news travels faster today and there are more people?

Or....are bacteria becoming more vicious and deadly?

Boy infected with flesh-eating bacteria during trip to Maryland beach, mom says

No, it's simply called '24 hour new cycle'.

I'm sure the same percentage people got such things back in the 1930s. They just didn't have bored reporters sitting around all day looking for something to rile up the masses with.

What's unboring are the other other intriguing medical connections to the phenomenon, such as the cancer connections to the cytoskeleton that the flesh-eating bacteria are targeting.

When I was young, I remember swimming in all kinds of lakes, streams, creeks, ponds, oceans etc and never once worried about any "Flesh Eating" bacteria. I've been in some pretty disgusting water off the East Coast as a child. Stepped on oyters and got nasty cuts in water browner than root beer and sometimes with dead fish not far away. Never worried about open cuts when going in the water. Actually, I always thought the salt would clean them.

Now it seems you can't go in the water without some concern for it.

According to this story, 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths are caused by this bacteria every year.

Do you ever remember worrying about this as a child (if you're over 40)? Was I just extremely lucky?

Or, is it just that news travels faster today and there are more people?

Or....are bacteria becoming more vicious and deadly?

Never
we drank out of hoses ...ate peanut butter by the truckload and did dangerous shit without a helmet or elbow pads ....and no one could call or track you down with a gps tracker on a smart phone

There's such a thing as being too clean.
Me and my fishing and hunting buddy of 25 years have a saying....it's camp clean.
In other words it's rinsed off till ya cant see any stuck on food particles.
On occasion we might even use soap.
I've had a grand total of two colds and the flu,or it was possibly just a bad cold, in my 54 years of life.
So being a numpty works. Good for you.

It's worked for millions of Americans who drank hose water growing up and didnt slather themselves with antibacterial gel constantly.
You're a complete dumbass if you think not building up your resistance to germs by letting your body fight them doesnt lead to a stronger immune system.
That would be a scientific fact. But then you dumbfucks think there are more than two genders......
Hose water??? You aren't supposed to drink from the hose. Really? My Dog and I drank from the hose all the time. No one ever said it was bad.

It depends on the hose. Most of the ones these days have a lot of nasty chemicals in them to keep them from getting brittle and breaking in cold weather. If your hose water has a funky taste, it is one of them. If not, you are probably fine.

There's such a thing as being too clean.
Me and my fishing and hunting buddy of 25 years have a saying....it's camp clean.
In other words it's rinsed off till ya cant see any stuck on food particles.
On occasion we might even use soap.
I've had a grand total of two colds and the flu,or it was possibly just a bad cold, in my 54 years of life.
So being a numpty works. Good for you.

It's worked for millions of Americans who drank hose water growing up and didnt slather themselves with antibacterial gel constantly.
You're a complete dumbass if you think not building up your resistance to germs by letting your body fight them doesnt lead to a stronger immune system.
That would be a scientific fact. But then you dumbfucks think there are more than two genders......

Be that as it may, I think the issue with this particular infection is where it sets up more than anything else. It is basically strep throat under your skin.

Damn! I wouldn't want to go through the Ranger Escape and Evasion course at Ft. Benning these days. One third of the course is swamp with water over your head.
Yeah but anyone dumb enough to sign on to that fascist corporate security outfit deserves whatever they get.
We need more coast guard and badass border coverage(like fighter jets). NOT meatheads overseas showing off with costumes and no access to ammo( good and cheap drugs and hookers are auto-covered).

It's easy for some to lip-off and call something "quack" when they themselves are information compromised. An infection "under the skin" by default includes the cytoskeleton, a Vibrio target. Streptococcus is only one of the bacteria, as we can read:

Necrotizing Fasciitis
Necrotizing fasciitis - Wikipedia

The Wiki article above mentions the deadly Clostridium toxins of Type I infection. The difference between a poison and medicine may only be the amount: botulin toxin from C. botulinum is used to treat Schwartz-Jampel syndrome. Thus, monitoring for flesh-eating bacteria yields insight as to proportions of potentially harmful algae and bacteria at certain locations. There seems to be no standard titer yet set per liter that should cause concern, though the unwary immune-compromised risk fatal contact.

Another reason for environmental monitoring is to discover more about their genomes, new virulent strains, and strains with medical potential.

Oct 2018 Anti-Cancer Clostridium perfringens Enterotoxin / MCF-7 Breast Cancer
Functionalization of gold-nanoparticles by the Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin C-terminus for tumor cell ablation using the gold nanoparticle-m... - PubMed - NCBI

Korea 2006 Suicide Cervical Cancer Gene Therapy Using Streptolysin O
Suicide cancer gene therapy using pore-forming toxin, streptolysin O. - PubMed - NCBI

Is it possible our immune systems are weaker and this is a cause of this issue?

Weak immunity is a proven factor. "Is there a generalized weakening of Homo sapiens and canine immunity, or a generalized increase in virulence of these organisms?" Monitoring and sampling can answer part of this question via epigenetics and drivers of gene expression.

Jun 2019 Flesh-eating Streptococcus pyogenes RopB / Virulence / pH Quorum Sensing / Protonation of His144
Environmental pH and peptide signaling control virulence of Streptococcus pyogenes via a quorum-sensing pathway. - PubMed - NCBI

The cattle industry is one of the most inefficient on earth. Is the EPA doing a Hindu imitation by placing bovine and phosphate run-offs above humans?

Ever watch the reality show "monsters inside me"? It ain't a pretty show. I happened to see an episode where a guy cut his ankle on a rock while fishing in the Gulf of Mexico somewhere. His ankle became swollen and discolored and his favorite doctor put a cast on it. You can guess what happened. Flesh eating bacteria almost caused him to lose his leg. You have more to fear from bad diagnosis by quack doctors than flesh eating bacteria these days

The first rule of medicine is do no harm. The second rule is; if you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras. Doctors will automatically go for the most common diagnosis. That will not change until the diagnosis has completely failed and the condition has worsened. Sadly it may mean death.

Do your homework before you go to the doctor. Have all your zebras lined up and ready to go.

This study identifies some mechanisms of virulence, including the loss of genes:

Montana State University / Virulent M1T1 Clone / Acquisition of Prophages
https://www.ncbi.nlm.hih.gov/pubmed/30556051
'....emergence in 1980s....Since 2000, M89 GAS (Group A Streptococcus) with the loss of the genes for the synthesis of hyaluronic acid capsule has also emerged to cause severe invasive infections....invasive genotype emm3 GAS causes a higher mortality rate than other invasive genotypes....natural nonsense mutations of the orphan kinase RocA in emm3 and emm18 GAS also contribute to enhanced virulence.'

Environmental monitoring could focus on natural variants of the emm3 gene and RocA while simultaneously producing a geographical map.

Forum List

Back