Whats the difference?

blackhawk

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2012
Deep in the heart of Texas.
Everyone keeps talking about going from the background checks we have now to purchase a gun to universal background checks in order to do so what is the difference between the two outside of the word universal?

Universal would make it a crime for me to give a gun to my son as a birthday present without paying a FFL dealer to do a background check on him.

Then there is the new record keeping that would be involved, the beginning of a new national gun registration system.

Everyone keeps talking about going from the background checks we have now to purchase a gun to universal background checks in order to do so what is the difference between the two outside of the word universal?

As it stands now background checks are done when you buy from a dealer, universal would include private sales.

Wild assed guess time...

Probably "universal" means there has to be a check at some new, wider level of sales.

Here in WV private sales are off the record unless someone wants to make a record for insurance or other purposes. Articles and news reports seem to say "gun show" sales are also not background checked at this time.

Never been to a gun show, so that is just what it seems like from the armchair.

As someone above seems to suggest, this is functional registration. If there is a check, there is a record. That is by itself a form of registration.

The real kick in the ass is coming from insurance requirements. That means poor people will no longer be able to keep guns. Legally.

Bush League hero John Roberts' betrayal of the Constitution in re Obamacare was the camel's nose under the tent expanding mandated insurance for anything. It wasn't as bad as CITIZENS UNITED in betraying the United States, but is probably almost as bad. Both those rulings ended the greatness of the United States being based on individual rights. We are looking at a new nation with diminished rights for all as UNITED put corporations firmly in charge and Obamacare reinforced corporate legal dominance.

Last edited:
Ok it might just be me but I'm not seeing how these would prevent another Newtown or Aurora incident. If that is indeed the case i can only wonder what is the point of universal checks.

Ok it might just be me but I'm not seeing how these would prevent another Newtown or Aurora incident. If that is indeed the case i can only wonder what is the point of universal checks.

It's not just you.

This is the direct result of corporate ownership of political parties. What corporations want is control. Now, thanks to Republican hero and big-government enthusiast John Roberts, corporations are a step closer to screening applicants in advance based on health records, but the sleeper here is insurance got promoted to potential tax. Some states will start requiring gun owners to buy insurance and Roberts' Obamacare decision will uphold those laws.

The driver for the effort is fascist fake liberal big government hounds desire to get control of the most dangerous means of resistance: guns.

Identifying where they are is first.

That is what this is about.

Last edited:
Universal would make it a crime for me to give a gun to my son as a birthday present without paying a FFL dealer to do a background check on him.

Then there is the new record keeping that would be involved, the beginning of a new national gun registration system.

That kind of transfer may be exempt. I may be incorrectly interpreting the text. Our laws are deliberately complex. I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks.

Text of S. 374: Fix Gun Checks Act of 2013 (Reported by Senate Committee version) - GovTrack.us

(t)(1) Beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of this subsection, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed under this chapter to transfer a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken possession of the firearm for the purpose of complying with subsection (s). Upon taking possession of the firearm, the licensee shall comply with all requirements of this chapter as if the licensee were transferring the firearm from the licensee’s inventory to the unlicensed transferee.

‘(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--
‘(A) bona fide gifts between spouses, between parents and their children, between siblings, or between grandparents and their grandchildren;
‘(B) a transfer made from a decedent’s estate, pursuant to a legal will or the operation of law;
‘(C) a temporary transfer of possession that occurs between an unlicensed transferor and an unlicensed transferee, if --
^^^‘(i) the temporary transfer of possession occurs in the home or curtilage of the unlicensed transferor;
^^^‘(ii) the firearm is not removed from that home or curtilage during the temporary transfer; and
^^^‘(iii) the transfer has a duration of less than 7 days; and
‘(D) a temporary transfer of possession without transfer of title made in connection with lawful hunting or sporting purposes if the transfer occurs--
^^^‘(i) at a shooting range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in firearms and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting range;
^^^‘(ii) at a target firearm shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by a State agency or nonprofit organization and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting competition; and
^^^‘(iii) while hunting or trapping, if--
^^^^^^‘(I) the activity is legal in all places where the unlicensed transferee possesses the firearm;
^^^^^^‘(II) the temporary transfer of possession occurs during the designated hunting season; and
^^^^^^‘(III) the unlicensed transferee holds any required license or permit.

Last edited:
It is interesting what has been <struck out> of the bill...

[Struck out->] SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE. [<-Struck out]

[Struck out->] This Act may be cited as the ‘Protecting Responsible Gun Sellers Act of 2013’. [<-Struck out]

[Struck out->] SEC. 2. FINDINGS. [<-Struck out]

[Struck out->] Congress makes the following findings: [<-Struck out]

[Struck out->] (1) Congress supports and respects the right to bear arms found in the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. [<-Struck out]

[Struck out->] (2) Congress supports the existing prohibition on a national firearms registry. [<-Struck out]

[Struck out->] (3) There are deficits in the background check system in effect before the date of enactment of this Act and the Department of Justice should make it a top priority to work with States to swiftly input missing records, including mental health records. [<-Struck out]

[Struck out->] (4) If the citizens of the United States agree that in order to promote safe and responsible gun ownership criminals and the mentally ill should be prohibited from possessing firearms, it should be incumbent upon all citizens to ensure weapons are not being transferred to such people. [<-Struck out]

There is no difference. Both are an infringements upon 2nd amendment rights.

They wouldn't but if liberals get the law passed they can feel good about themselves and brag that they did something about the guns. If it doesnt get passed then they will claim everyone that dies at the hands of a killer with a gun (who most likely would not have bought the gun legally anyway) is the responsibility of those who opposed their version of "gun control".

Because only idiots like Obama believe that background checks stop "dangerous people" from acquiring guns.

Immie

think DMV......but for firearms....

if libtards get their way you will be registered, licensed, inspected, insured, taxed, and fee'd....forwards-backwards, up-down, sideways, and inside-out...:evil:

like autos.....guns will become a 'privilege'.......the 2nd will virtually disappear....

ps....have auto crimes disappeared.....? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's a feel good thing.
It makes the politicians look good like they did something.
It males the families of the victims feel like something was done.
Beyond that I don't know.

Universal background checks are a pretext for the federal government to amass a great deal of information on individuals. Perhaps this is why they have the multi-zeta byte database set up in Utah.

Incorrect.

As noted, Manchin-Toomey addresses only gun show and ‘online’ sales, requires no ‘universal’ background check, and makes no provision for a ‘National registry,’ which is currently prohibited by Federal law.

The primary focus of the legislation is to ensure states report felony convictions, adjudications of mental incompetence, and other restrictions mandated by Federal law to the NICS database in a comprehensive and timely manner.

Forum List

Back