What's the creepiest firearm you own?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
Mine is this one. It's a slightly sporterized WW2 British .303 Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk1 that I picked up at a garage sale a couple weeks ago. It's a Lend-Lease model, made in the US by Savage, and still has the "U.S. Property" stamped on the receiver. It's all original except that the stock has been shortened, and is missing the top handguard.

A middle-aged couple were having a sale in the next little town across the river and I got it for ten bucks. I had asked the gentleman if he had any guns, and he brought this out of the shed. It was covered with a layer of gunk and sawdust and it took a rubber mallet to get it apart. Once I cleaned it up, it was a good shooter.

Sadly though last week, the guy I bought it from nearly beat his wife to death with an aluminum baseball bat then sucked on the business end of a shotgun.

Is that creepy or what?

death%20gun1.jpg

death%20gun2.jpg

death%20gun3.jpg

death%20gun4.jpg

death%20gun5.jpg

Bet she wishes she would have sold the bat during the garage sale.
Thats a pretty sweet rifle for ten bucks though.
Have you shot it yet?

Yes, I ran about 20 rounds of 50's era British milsurp FMJ through it. It can still hit a man-sized target at 200 yards, which is all it was meant to do with that flip-up peep sight. I hate to drill and tap the receiver so I'll probably get one of those crappy scope mounts that replaces the rear sight. I have one of those on my No. 5 jungle carbine and it's better than using the iron sights.

The hell of it is, the guy told me he didn't have any more guns. They were a fairly liberal-looking couple. I feel bad for the girl he clobbered with the bat, she's in pretty fucked-up condition.

Have you shot it yet?

Yes, I ran about 20 rounds of 50's era British milsurp FMJ through it. It can still hit a man-sized target at 200 yards, which is all it was meant to do with that flip-up peep sight. I hate to drill and tap the receiver so I'll probably get one of those crappy scope mounts that replaces the rear sight. I have one of those on my No. 5 jungle carbine and it's better than using the iron sights.

I think i'd leave it alone unless I planned on hunting with it.
Maybe take it apart and sugar blast it and put some new blueing or maybe some black oxide.

Mine is this one. It's a slightly sporterized WW2 British .303 Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk1 that I picked up at a garage sale a couple weeks ago. It's a Lend-Lease model, made in the US by Savage, and still has the "U.S. Property" stamped on the receiver. It's all original except that the stock has been shortened, and is missing the top handguard.

A middle-aged couple were having a sale in the next little town across the river and I got it for ten bucks. I had asked the gentleman if he had any guns, and he brought this out of the shed. It was covered with a layer of gunk and sawdust and it took a rubber mallet to get it apart. Once I cleaned it up, it was a good shooter.

Sadly though last week, the guy I bought it from nearly beat his wife to death with an aluminum baseball bat then sucked on the business end of a shotgun.

Is that creepy or what?

death%20gun1.jpg

death%20gun2.jpg

death%20gun3.jpg

death%20gun4.jpg

death%20gun5.jpg

What makes this particular rifle "creepy"? I grant you the people you bought it from were pretty fucked up, but what does their issue have to do with this?

Have you shot it yet?

Maybe take it apart and sugar blast it and put some new blueing or maybe some black oxide.

Those old Enfields had a black painted finish, which is pretty hard to remove unless you sand-blast it. Most of it was worn off the trigger guard, so I cold-blued that and the peep sight. If it was in original condition with the full-length stock, it would only be worth about $350, so I'll probably just leave it like it is. Would look nice if it was Parkerized though.

Hell, I remember when you could buy these for $15 bucks and have them shipped through the mail for $4.

Is that creepy or what?

death%20gun1.jpg

death%20gun2.jpg

death%20gun3.jpg

death%20gun4.jpg

death%20gun5.jpg

What makes this particular rifle "creepy"? I grant you the people you bought it from were pretty fucked up, but what does their issue have to do with this?

Anything that belonged to someone who met an untimely and grisly death is kinda creepy. I spend alot of time digging through dead people's stuff at estate sales, but for something like that to happen in a small town, is un-nerving.

Have you shot it yet?

Those old Enfields had a black painted finish, which is pretty hard to remove unless you sand-blast it. Most of it was worn off the trigger guard, so I cold-blued that and the peep sight. If it was in original condition with the full-length stock, it would only be worth about $350, so I'll probably just leave it like it is. Would look nice if it was Parkerized though.

Hell, I remember when you could buy these for $15 bucks and have them shipped through the mail for $4.

You can use Jasco paint remover and it takes about 15 minutes.

Is that creepy or what?

death%20gun1.jpg

death%20gun2.jpg

death%20gun3.jpg

death%20gun4.jpg

death%20gun5.jpg

Anything that belonged to someone who met an untimely and grisly death is kinda creepy. I spend alot of time digging through dead people's stuff at estate sales, but for something like that to happen in a small town, is un-nerving.

But why? They don't rub off on the weapon.

My father-in-law was a WWII vet who had a wall rack with 3-4 guns on it. It was strictly for decoration because he did not hunt or shoot. He had had those guns so long that he no longer remembered where he had gotten them. Among them was an M-1 Garand that appeared to be in pristine condition that he remembered he had gotten because it reminded him of the one he had carried in WWII. He said it was just decoration because the action had been "wielded shut". I ended up with it after he died. It was indeed non-functional but-just to be sure-I gave all the reachable action parts a generous dose of WD40 and gave the bolt a couple some sharp blows with the heel of my hand. No result. The next day I repeated the process without result. On the third day I again repeated the process and she opened up just as pretty as you please! Now it functions perfectly and shoots great (didn't even need to reset the sights).

I don't own any that are creepy, but thatakes me wonder what label I cound place on my guns.

I have one that is cowboy, one that is gigantic, one that is sniper, one that is black, one that is scary, another that is ugly, another that is pretty, and one that is tiny.

I think the "creepiest" one would be the one you are looking down the barrel of, if you break into my home. lol

While my dad was a locksmith by trade he was a proficient amateur gunsmith. Back in the late '40s and early '50s Kaufman's Sporting Goods on 42nd Street had barrels full of captured German 98 Mausers standing in the alcove entrance to that huge store from which you took your pick for ten bucks apiece.

Dad would pick out the best ones. He'd buy blank stocks from Numrich, and after some buffing, bluing, sanding and staining, those supremely accurate Mauser deer rifles made for a profitable sideline. He sold them as quick as he could put them together.

Forum List

Back